Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think that's just the Nitelink services.

And even then only if something is flying through the air...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

RobFowl wrote: »
    And even then only if something is flying through the air...
    Now that really sounds unsanitary!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I think that's just the Nitelink services.

You'd be surprised.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Now that really sounds unsanitary!

Dont think its NSFW but....

edit Actually it probably is NSFW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Could we just relocate en masses to maybe the south of Spain?
    Or else Catalonia wants independence, we could do a straight swap? (leave our politicians behind though)

My plan, which doltish politicians refuse to countenance despite its obvious sensibleness and multiple advantages (eg change of neighbours, change of climate, better growing for fruit and vegetables, our own native vineyards, nicer swimming temperature, etc, etc) is to put a few thousand tugboats around the coast and simply tow Ireland into the Bay of Biscay, and tuck it in close to France and Spain, in that nice sheltered elbow. Dublin would then be on the Côte d'Argent, and Galway could become the Côte Émeraude.

Brakes: I think those rim brakes weren't really in use on early fixies. (In a reverse of the modern attitude, a friend wrote to my grandfather worrying about his sister buying a freewheel bike, far too dangerous for someone brought up on a fixie.)

Dublin Bus: I changed my seat today as someone coughed richly down my neck. Probably caused by the Demon Baccy, but I wasn't chancing it. Especially on muggy days when the inside of the bus is a streaming fug of germs, it feels like being in the household of Typhoid Mary.

Dont think its NSFW but....

I suspect it is NSFW!

Don't remember the later bit of that scene at all (the "fava beans" bit is obviously a big pop culture reference). I remember the bit later with Hip Priest playing behind it. I didn't really concentrate on the scene, as was enjoying the music (the bits that were audible).

Brakes: I think those rim brakes weren't really in use on early fixies.

It intrigues me the way the braking surface is the underside rather than the rim wall.

(I mean, it makes sense, with rod brakes, but it's fallen so completely out of use.)

Could we just relocate en masses to maybe the south of Spain?
    Or else Catalonia wants independence, we could do a straight swap? (leave our politicians behind though)
    It intrigues me the way the braking surface is the underside rather than the rim wall.

(I mean, it makes sense, with rod brakes, but it's fallen so completely out of use.)

Perhaps it was a safety thing. For example, four young people were killed when they crashed into the monument in Enniskerry - two boys with girls on their crossbars. They were wheeing down the long hill from the Knockree turn, and when they braked they were going so fast that the brake blocks flew off. They couldn't jump for it at that speed because of the stone wall and narrow grass verge, and local people think they intended to circle the monument and get onto the Bray road, which has a gentle uphill and would have allowed them to slow and stop. But they were going faster and faster, and both bikes slammed into the monument with horrible and fatal consequence.

What I wonder is if the brake blocks on the underside of the rim might more easily become caught in the spokes and detached.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

So, I'll pop the saddle up 3 or so mm. Be grand.
    No you wont,

DSCN1735_zps9d6owsdd.jpg

Panic,
    DSCN1732_zpsjmb5itjn.jpg

Not the bolt I used, too short, but had another,
    DSCN1738_zpsrlidjses.jpg

Sorted I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Planet X wrote: »
    So, I'll pop the saddle up 3 or so mm. Be grand.
    No you wont,

DSCN1735_zps9d6owsdd.jpg

Panic,

Sorted I hope.

I've been that soldier, except it happened to me a few kms from home on my way to the start of the Reservoir Dog sportive...

What I wonder is if the brake blocks on the underside of the rim might more easily become caught in the spokes and detached.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westwood_rim

By the look of the shape of the underside, probably not a major problem.
    I’ve never ridden more than a short distance on a roadster with rod brakes, and I hear their stopping power is so-so, but they are easy to adjust and maintain and they work.
    http://www.bikejuju.com/2010/how-do-rod-brakes-work-a-visual-primer/

I used to occasionally cycle an old single-speed roadster with rod brakes that was in the garage when I was growing up -- my mother's old bike. It was ok, as far as I can remember. I never went very fast or far on it.

EDIT:
    Most rod brakes use a "stirrup" which holds brake shoes that pull against the inner circumference of the rim. These are usually used with Westwood or Raleigh pattern rims, which have a ridge where the spokes attach, so there is no risk of snagging a spoke nipple with the brake shoes.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ri-z.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I used to occasionally cycle an old single-speed roadster with rod brakes that was in the garage when I was growing up -- my mother's old bike. It was ok, as far as I can remember. I never went very fast or far on it....
    My experience of rod brakes was that it was difficult to regulate the braking (especially the front) as they tended to 'lock on' easily (presumably the reason why some older cyclists still have a fear of going 'over the bars' if using the front brakes heavily ).

If I had a stable of bikes, I think I'd have a single-speed roadster in there. There's something very nice about them.

If I had a stable of bikes, I think I'd have a single-speed roadster in there. There's something very nice about them.

My bike is a single-speed roadster. The single speed is slow.

Trying for that Donnybrook club run again…

376588.png

Still not working, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Just think, this thread has been open for 5 months (153 days). At the current rate of ~14 posts per day, it's set to close around August 14, 2017 (560 days time). We've passed the 20% mark!

lets get there faster so, whatsv story with no more email notification?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

manafana wrote: »
    lets get there faster so, whatsv story with no more email notification?

No idea but it may stop people complaining in some threads that they get too many emails about slightly off topic posts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Election time again. Prepare to be decapitated or have your vision obscured by low hanging election posters.

I may base my voting strategy on who has the least obnoxious posters.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Is there a way to stop them shoving their leaflets in your door? I have a No Junk Mail Please sign but it doesn't work at all. I caught them at it one day and gave put shyte to them and told them I'd report them for littering. It had no effect. It's like they breed in the letterbox :eek:

Election time again. Prepare to be decapitated or have your vision obscured by low hanging election posters.

It's ok,I bet the RSA has our back on this.

[Quick search ...]

http://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/News-2016/RSA-Issues-Guidelines-on-Placement-of-Election-Posters/
    The RSA is advising that election posters should not be placed at the roadside in such a way that they obscure road signs, particularly those that relate to the Rules of the Road and road user safety. These would include Regulatory Signs such as ‘STOP’ and speed limit signs; Warning Signs such as junction and road works signs; as well as Information Signs which provide directions. They should not be placed in known collision prone zones, where they risk distracting drivers and where campaign workers may be at risk when putting them up.

Oh.

Well, there must be more than just road signs that concern them.
    It would certainly be very helpful if such [campaign] workers took the practical step of wearing high-visibility jackets when doing so.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement

gadetra wrote: »
    Is there a way to stop them shoving their leaflets in your door? I have a No Junk Mail Please sign but it doesn't work at all. I caught them at it one day and gave put shyte to them and told them I'd report them for littering. It had no effect. It's like they breed in the letterbox :eek:

I was leafletting during a recent referendum and was told that "No junk mail" doesn't include political material. Go ahead and post them, I was told - unless the person has a "Personally addressed mail only" notice.

I was leafletting during a recent referendum and was told that "No junk mail" doesn't include political material. Go ahead and post them, I was told - unless the person has a "Personally addressed mail only" notice.

:mad: :mad: :mad: Oh that makes me angry! Ok I'm making a no unaddressed mail sign so. I thought there may have been some exemption alright. Grumble grumble!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Sigh... just dropped nearly a grand on repairs to both bike and car... only 120 was for the bike mind. Haven't used the car since October and I kinda need it again now, weekly visits to the vet for an arthritic labrador. Cars been barely used since June and not at all since the middle of October. This biking lark is costing me more than I thought it would!

Second puncture in as many weeks, I need to stop telling people how good my commuting tyres are :o

Sigh... just dropped nearly a grand on repairs to both bike and car... only 120 was for the bike mind. Haven't used the car since October and I kinda need it again now, weekly visits to the vet for an arthritic labrador. Cars been barely used since June and not at all since the middle of October. This biking lark is costing me more than I thought it would!

Sounds like those Go Cars would be much cheaper to use rather than owning a car.

Second puncture in as many weeks, I need to stop telling people how good my commuting tyres are :o

I never heard what tyres you are using...please tell...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

traprunner wrote: »
    Sounds like those Go Cars would be much cheaper to use rather than owning a car.

Doing all the work myself too. Coolant leak, timing belt and waterpump, battery, full service, pads and discs all round and two front wishbones. The only things outside regular maintenance there is the leak (7quid part) and the wishbones (70quid the pair). I like having a car and have always been a 'petrolhead'. Going to add a bit of power to it with a remap and a few other tricks I have up my sleeve so want it tip top before I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

2 punctures today.
    Took the race wheels out to give them a 'spin'. Shod with Vittoria Paves Tubulars.
    Rode them all last year and thought...These are great. I love them. Pumped them up to 120 and literally 500mtrs down the road 'bang'.
    Balls.
    Turned back and changed to my clinchers.
    80% into what I had planned to do and the rear flats.
    A new lessoned learned today is that co2 gas with screw on adaptor and vittoria removable cores do not go well.
    Screw on adaptor. Open Gas.Empty gas. Unscrew adapor and the removable core comes out with the adaptor.Gas escapes.

• Advertisement

traprunner wrote: »

I have one return trip of about 30km I do with the wife and kids once a month or less. Go Car costs me about €400 a year to do this.

It wouldn't be cheaper for driving to work every day, but if you drive less than about 7000km a year, I think it's probably cheaper. If you do substantially less, it's way cheaper.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement