Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I hope she'll come back.

Once she blocked me straight away for a dickish LMGTFY reply. I hope her reactions to internet folklore are as short lived as they are quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Going back to the previous discussion on election posters, I whiled away the time on the King's Mountain 200 yesterday looking at election posters. Some people in the vicinity of Rathmolyon take "defacing" posters seriously. There were Sinn Féin posters with the actual face of the candidate carefully cut out.

Someone mentioned that it was a "strong Fianna Fáil area" but really!

Planning ahead for scary Halloween masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Anyone here do 60km+ round trip commutes? Is it madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Anyone here do 60km+ round trip commutes? Is it madness?

Daily might be a little strenuous but I'd say 3-4 days a week would be fine.

There's not much difference between 40 & 60 per day even for a fatty like me.

• Advertisement

A mate at work. He started from 0k experience, just after buying the bike.

He commutes 2-3 days a week, 35km each way, and enjoys it a lot.

(mind his averages were like 27-28kph from the start :eek: )

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Anyone here do 60km+ round trip commutes? Is it Madness?
    Only if you do it in Baggy Trousers when you're probably better off Driving in your Car....:)

Used to commute in 23km, home 35km or so regularly. Think Jawgap was doing 100k+ a day

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Beasty wrote: »
    Only if you do it in Baggy Trousers when you're probably better off Driving in your Car....:)

Used to commute in 23km, home 35km or so regularly. Think Jawgap was doing 100k+ a day

Already commute 5 days a week at 12km each way, I'd be quick enough I'd say, but I would need to upgrade my bike. Hmmm, just wondering for now, haven't moved just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Already commute 5 days a week at 12km each way, I'd be quick enough I'd say, but I would need to upgrade my bike. Hmmm, just wondering for now, haven't moved just yet!

my main issue is dealing with some of issues you encounter with slow moving traffic and erratic driving, puts me off cycling more that alot of road cycling infrastructure is poor or inconsistent.

I don't know how anyone comes in the n81 some of the lanes lay out are horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

btw someone on the forum recommend the strava add on for chrome, its brilliant some of the stats it adds on are really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

manafana wrote: »
    btw someone on the forum recommend the strava add on for chrome, its brilliant some of the stats it adds on are really good

Possibly me..

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stravistix-for-strava/dhiaggccakkgdfcadnklkbljcgicpckn?hl=en

Cracking addon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

****ing thing.

Move ratio, and trying to keep it above 0.9 on Audax rides has nearly murdered me.

I took it off and no longer have a garmin to be annoying me either.

#grumpyauldfella

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

ford2600 wrote: »
    ****ing thing.

Move ratio, and trying to keep it above 0.9 on Audax rides has nearly murdered me.

I took it off and no longer have a garmin to be annoying me either.

#grumpyauldfella

I've been thinking of giving up all this garmin/strava malarkey recently too. Not sure if I can go cold turkey though, might just start by putting the garmin in the pocket so I won't be looking at it every 2 minutes.

This is why my default screen is map with time of the day and perhaps heart rate. If I switch to any data screen, I find myself looking at it non-stop. Seeing speed is the worst ;)

Colm, I'd start by turning off that 5km beep notification on your garmin. Drives ME crazy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Only thing I turned off on my Garmin was the heart rate zone alarm thingy. Don't need an audible alarm to tell me that my heart is beating rather fast, I can feel the damn thing.

The HR is one of the handful of things I find truly useful - quite often when I think its over, I'm done, can't climb any faster, I just glance at the HR reading and anything below 175 tells me: oh cmon, htfu, you've seen low 180s there! :D

At present I'm torn between the urge to go for a spin and my reluctance to face going out into traffic to escape the City...also the neverending fceking wind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

At present I'm torn between the urge to go for a spin and my reluctance to face going out into traffic to escape the City...also the neverending fceking wind.

Was planning a lunch time spin myself, but just found my sopping gloves and hat that I'd chucked in a corner after my weekend spin, so probably go for a run instead. Snowing lightly here in Ballyboden at present, but wind is not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Alek wrote: »
    This is why my default screen is map with time of the day and perhaps heart rate. If I switch to any data screen, I find myself looking at it non-stop. Seeing speed is the worst ;)

Colm, I'd start by turning off that 5km beep notification on your garmin. Drives ME crazy :P
    Snap. I have the exact same alert thus I can hear my slow progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

smacl wrote: »
    Was planning a lunch time spin myself, but just found my sopping gloves and hat that I'd chucked in a corner after my weekend spin, so probably go for a run instead. Snowing lightly here in Ballyboden at present, but wind is not too bad.

I whimped my run, it's utterly miserable and I'm feeling the cold today, I normally enjoy the rain but with the wind, sleet and drizzle, feic that, it can wait until this evening.

So I went to the local Supervalu to pick fruit and pancake mix instead. All the bloody Odlums pre mix stuff was gone, so came home with a lovely chicken fillet roll.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Just back in after 60k and it's getting colder, bit of sleet in NCD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

ThisRegard wrote: »
    pancake mix

100g plain flour
    250ml milk
    1 egg
    pinch salt

Whizz in food processor...

Ha, I knew someone would point that out.

I'll be home alone with the kids, so after homework I'll be making them. Easier to just pour it into the pan, throw in a few chopped bananas, and amaze them with my mad flipping skillz.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

So there I was last night idling catching up on the cycle racing on the telly, wife with slightly glazed look on her face, wondering how on earth I can watch them go round and round.....

And the plastic bag thing gets caught on Stijn's rear wheel, wife asks what that was, Carlton explains what happened as does the replay. With 2k to go he was out in front and wife starting saying 'Go go, they are going to catch you!!'. I didn't know whether to watch her or the racing.....god bless her little cotton socks.

Now if only there was more cycling on d'telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

cdaly_ wrote: »

Whizz in food processor...

Mr Daly you disappoint me. That is the pancake equivalent of mechanical doping.

Whisk it up like a real man.........

8334274-man-whisking-batter.jpg

Well that rules me out so, our whisk is like a peeled banana due to it being regularly used in sword fights.

Alek wrote: »
    The HR is one of the handful of things I find truly useful - quite often when I think its over, I'm done, can't climb any faster, I just glance at the HR reading and anything below 175 tells me: oh cmon, htfu, you've seen low 180s there! :D

I use the function a lot myself, it's just the alarm going off constantly when you change zones that pisses me off.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Just back in after 60k and it's getting colder, bit of sleet in NCD

Full on blizzard up at Ticknock earlier. I couldn't feel my face and hands on the way back down.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Well that rules me out so, our whisk is like a peeled banana due to it being regularly used in sword fights.

Use a fork

• Advertisement

No, the pic had a whisk. I don't deviate from clear and concise instructions.

Plus I had no bloody eggs when I got home with everything else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement