Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Dashed white line, you can drive in them. Solid white line you can't.

But can a motorbike use them as a lane in traffic for filtering? I'm talking as a cyclist now...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

But can a motorbike use them as a lane in traffic for filtering? I'm talking as a cyclist now...

If there's a dashed white line, they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

My spin today brought me up to Garristown from the Swords Road, I turned right before just before the village to avoid the road through the village as its a shocker of a road. I took a little backroad which has a starva segment name 'Save your wheels and back, avoid Garristown'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's long been suspected that this is happening, but last night a truck was stopped leaving the country with up to €70,000 worth of stolen goods, including bicycles, and 3 Romanians were arrested.

http://www.thejournal.ie/stolen-property-lorry-rosslare-2626359-Feb2016/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm having this dilemma. Want to order a new bike, I think the GF thinks it's absurd but is too kind to say otherwise.

If shes too nice, then that's her problem, not yours. Buy the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I'm having this dilemma. Want to order a new bike, I think the GF thinks it's absurd but is too kind to say otherwise.

Must be a new relationship. In a few months time she 'll be.. "would you feck off with those bikes already". Unless you bring her in the dark world of cycling. Actually do that, it's probably your only hope.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

CramCycle wrote: »
    If shes too nice, then that's her problem, not yours. Buy the bike.

We'll all be joining beasty at one of those bikeaholics anonymous meetings in the not too distant future, mark my words.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ask her how many pairs of shoes she owns! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's long been suspected that this is happening, but last night a truck was stopped leaving the country with up to €70,000 worth of stolen goods, including bicycles, and 3 Romanians were arrested.

http://www.thejournal.ie/stolen-property-lorry-rosslare-2626359-Feb2016/
    3 guys in the truck, probably 2/3 more taking a cut somewhere else means these guys are getting at most €15k per run out of these.

Which isn't a lot of money and suggests that is in fact a very low-risk activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Luxman wrote: »
    My spin today brought me up to Garristown from the Swords Road, I turned right before just before the village to avoid the road through the village as its a shocker of a road. I took a little backroad which has a starva segment name 'Save your wheels and back, avoid Garristown'
    Garristown really is a horrible section of road. You know it's bad when you look forward to speed bumps because they are the smoothest part! Heading south out of Garristown is a lovely road however, so almost worth going to Garristown just to leave it. I must look out for that wheel saving segment.

Could you imagine if there was a race that started/ended on that section? Madness :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ask her how many pairs of shoes she owns! ;)

Careful now, A) because I might have more, b) space in apartment is premium with 2 bikes there, 1 at parents, and another just given to a friend.

It will be purchased, once I can figure out where best to get it shipped. Work or parents!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Not all girlfriends are anti-bike!

The only problem for me is that the OH has only one bike. And it's hideous. Well it has it's own charm in fairness, it's kind of cute in it's own way. We're the same size and all. It's a waste! :pac:

I used to take my ex's bike out when I was at home and he happened to be at work/away and I was at home. He never cycled it. The bike was getting depressed. It was the kindest thing to do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    378709.jpg

Anyone care to hazard a guess what road?

South Dublin.

The answer, which nobody is waiting for, is doozerie's favourite, the road under the Dundrum Luas bridge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just saw 2 lads fly up ballymun road on mountain bikes fitted with what sounded like petrol engines.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Just saw 2 lads fly up ballymun road on mountain bikes fitted with what sounded like petrol engines.

That'd be the new Wilier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Garristown really is a horrible section of road. You know it's bad when you look forward to speed bumps because they are the smoothest part! Heading south out of Garristown is a lovely road however, so almost worth going to Garristown just to leave it. I must look out for that wheel saving segment.

Could you imagine if there was a race that started/ended on that section? Madness :pac:

A great finish point. Tough one that burns the legs to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Pizza and beer must surely be considered a recovery strategy. Nom nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

lennymc wrote: »
    Pizza and beer must surely be considered a recovery strategy. Nom nom nom

http://www.hillbillys.ie/

There is one in Walkinstown. The Gravy is a toxic sludge of recovery greatness.
    Savage stuff altogether!

I read somewhere that Chicken was protein, and that was good for the body.

nomnomnonm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The answer, which nobody is waiting for, is doozerie's favourite, the road under the Dundrum Luas bridge.

I was!

I'd thought it might be Dodder Park Road at Rathfarnham Road, but when I decided it wasn't I couldn't think of another option. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

I've felt like Roman Mars ever since I've discovered these pedestrian panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I am considering a set f bluetooth headphones from Lidl - anyone used them before?

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=37010

are they comfortable & secure on the bike? How often do you need to charge them?

Just to mention also - there is a new set of cycling gear coming to Lidl:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=733

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Today I saw my bikes after two weeks of them being hidden behind redecoration paraphernalia in the spare room.

Still can't reach them but it's nice to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Milan considers paying 25c per kilometre to commuting cyclists - to encourage low pollution commuting.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/feb/29/cash-cycling-polluted-milan-italy-pay-commuters-bike-to-work

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

If there's a dashed white line, they can.

Dashed lines are shared lanes, so cycle lane and roadway form a single traffic lane. While they are allowed drive on them, they are breaking the law if they overtake other traffic on the left. Only cyclists are allowed pass to the left on single carriageways.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Good point. Didn't think about that angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I was limping home from a club spin on Saturday (my rear derailleur cable snapped 20km from home). Cycling through the less salubrious parts of Tallaght when a Honda Civic drives past with the passenger window down, young fella with his head out the window. I inwardly steel myself for the inevitable abuse but I was greeted by a roar of "Ye're 20 seconds down!

I gave him a thumbs up and forgot to ask for a sticky bottle back home!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

lgk wrote: »
    Dashed lines are shared lanes, so cycle lane and roadway form a single traffic lane. While they are allowed drive on them, they are breaking the law if they overtake other traffic on the left. Only cyclists are allowed pass to the left on single carriageways.

Not strictly true, if the roadway is wide enough you may overtake on the left if a vehicle is turning right, if that means using a section of roadway marked as a shared cycle lane there is nothing in the regulations to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Fian wrote: »
    Milan considers paying 25c per kilometre to commuting cyclists - to encourage low pollution commuting.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/feb/29/cash-cycling-polluted-milan-italy-pay-commuters-bike-to-work

A few bob more and you wouldn't actually need a job at the other end ;)

A few bob more and you wouldn't actually need a job at the other end ;)

I calculated, based on a year's worth of receipts related to repairs and replacements, that cycling cost me 2-3c per km. Was a few years ago and very approximate, because although I had a very good idea of what I'd spent, I only had my own best guess of how far I'd travelled in the year.

Anyway, 25c would make me quids in, even without calibrating against the cost of alternative modes of transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

there would be alot to be said for a tax credit for someone actually cycling to work, or even using public transport.

My big issue which no td will solve is dublin bike. 22 planned phases only part way into the 3rd.

Main issue is NTA only willing to fund capital exp, while dublin bikes needs extra funding to improve scheme and cope with growth, funding shortfall.

Fee is 20euro a year, in Paris i think its over 100. In my view surely put it up 25 once NTA approve expansion then to 30 once complete.

other issue is some inner city stops need expanding to cope with the expansion outwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement