Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

manafana wrote: »
    there would be alot to be said for a tax credit for someone actually cycling to work, or even using public transport.

There is one for using public transport. You can get your annual ticket under the same salary sacrifice, tax-free terms as the bike to work scheme but you can do it every year. Works out at the same 52% discount on the cost of the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

cdaly_ wrote: »
    There is one for using public transport. You can get your annual ticket under the same salary sacrifice, tax-free terms as the bike to work scheme but you can do it every year. Works out at the same 52% discount on the cost of the ticket.

yeah that isn't fit for purpose, it assumes you are in work every week of yr between other commitments etc even in office based roles i wasnt working in town 5-8weeks of the year along with other holidays etc.

never that tax saver scheme really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Alright, who asked were my legs cold on the Clonskeagh road this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

12734008_971430729607740_2111591667557621721_n.jpg?oh=391892778a8acfea81b8502463f21f1b&oe=5722E885

I am not even mad.. that's amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

AstraMonti wrote: »
    12734008_971430729607740_2111591667557621721_n.jpg?oh=391892778a8acfea81b8502463f21f1b&oe=5722E885

I am not even mad.. that's amazing
    But yeah...But No....But.....and with the...I'm confused!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It's fabulous. Just fabulous. In so many ways!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

gadetra wrote: »
    It's fabulous. Just fabulous. In so many ways!

No, just no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

4602349.jpgCampagnolo-Ghibli-Wheel-300x211.jpg?1114fd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You can tell my kids live in a "bike trailer household".

379266.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

12806118_1767029260187130_8142720349842095208_n.jpg?oh=d3956bcc1e7a539fc93b9176cc1b9ca3&oe=575070B0&__gda__=1465403284_8a1fbd02134e4043145ae8d5c3221c1d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Really? Having driven all over UK, and a lot of Europe... Bar the Scandinavian countries, this is pretty much the same throughout. Have any of you driven in the UK perchance. Ireland is nowhere near as insane as there.

This self flagellation trip the nation has been on for decades is probably the most unique and tiring part of the national identity, if there is even such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

roverrules wrote: »
    Not strictly true, if the roadway is wide enough you may overtake on the left if a vehicle is turning right, if that means using a section of roadway marked as a shared cycle lane there is nothing in the regulations to prevent it.

Topic here was motorcycles undertaking traffic that's continuing straight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

https://www.facebook.com/FreeChatDublin/photos/a.282296615203734.48181.274943915939004/746486225451435/?type=3&theater

"If cyclists are to 'share the road' with the rest of is they should pay tax and insurance like the rest of us half of them haven't a clue about rules of the road"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Really? Having driven all over UK, and a lot of Europe... Bar the Scandinavian countries, this is pretty much the same throughout. Have any of you driven in the UK perchance. Ireland is nowhere near as insane as there.

This self flagellation trip the nation has been on for decades is probably the most unique and tiring part of the national identity, if there is even such a thing.

I thought the UK was better than here but it really depended on where you were, I imagine it has improved in London with the use of ANPR in conjunction with red light cameras.

Driving here is not as bad its made out to be, on the basis that if it were our stats would tell a different story, this said they could be better, alot better, but you are right, we are far from the worst country out there.

Russia was crazy when I was there (OK its big but I went to a few places), the US was good (but I was only on the west coast and Kansas), England was about the same as here, Wales was by far the worst (the valleys are full of lunatics), Scotland was about the same as well. Paris was terrible, the rest of France was lovely. Germany and the Netherlands were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...This self flagellation trip the nation has been on for decades is probably the most unique and tiring part of the national identity, if there is even such a thing.
    +1

I feel the same about the continuing belief that we are a nation of litter bugs in comparison to other countries and wonder if those that say it have ever travelled much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

+1

I feel the same about the continuing belief that we are a nation of litter bugs in comparison to other countries and wonder if those that say it have ever travelled much.

Indeed! When someone starts a sentence with "Only in Ireland...", I generally start to wonder if they've been abroad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

+1

The litter bug thing varies a lot within countries/regions though imo.

Northern Italy, especially in the mountains, is almost Germanic in how it is ordered and how tidy it is. Sicily, in large areas is unbelievably filthy (small rest areas on motorways near Catania are used for tipping rubbish; once about three years ago traffic was backed up on motorway for a few evenings as rubbish was being burnt....) but Naples is a world of it's own, almost Third World like.

I've collected rubbish on country road I grew up on every Easter for a few years. I filled one black refuse bag in a 1.5km section, and filled another one in a 100m section, a few new house had gone up in that section...

With the red lights, in NY people jump greens early while in Baltimore if you drive like you do in Dublin you'll fit right in.

Personally driving in Dublin I'll go through ambers if there is a car close behind me, in truth at least two normally follow through after. Dublin in my experience is worse for red lights than rest of country.

If compliance with traffic light law to the letter is a major factor in where you want to live move to Munich, the rules are the rules Hans certainly applies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

A lot of northern Italy also don't consider themselves Italian at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    A lot of northern Italy also don't consider themselves Italian at all ;)

South Germans.

• Advertisement

Just had a very happy discovery turning on the telly just now - The track worlds are on BBC2 now yeahie! :D

Just had a very happy discovery turning on the telly just now - The track worlds are on BBC2 now yeahie! :D

You missed a good womens scratch race then.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You missed a good womens scratch race then.

Ah balls :mad:

I'll have to wait for the uci video to go up on their channel. Buggar

Ah balls :mad:

I'll have to wait for the uci video to go up on their channel. Buggar

No. No balls in that race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Just saw this ad on the telly.

CcqI6zdW0AEm2Oo.jpg

Awwwww

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Awwwww

Hmmm, small furry animal maintaining its balance on my front wheel via clawed grip on my tyre side walls. Nope, not feeling the love....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Last day of 'funemployment' today. Ended up doing more DIY than 'fun' stuff.

I've griped on here about my 8k roundtrip commute to the old job.

New commute is about 1200m roundtrip...

Early morning discipline will be required.

Last day of 'funemployment' today. Ended up doing more DIY than 'fun' stuff.

I've griped on here about my 8k roundtrip commute to the old job.

New commute is about 1200m roundtrip...

Early morning discipline will be required.

It takes me that long to clip in some mornings :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

God bless the spare pair of socks I keep in my desk drawer in work.
    Everything dried nicely from this morning's expedition through Antartica except for my socks which are horribly cold & soggy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement