Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

God bless the spare pair of socks I keep in my desk drawer in work.
    Everything dried nicely from this morning's expedition through Antartica except for my socks which are horribly cold & soggy!

That's why I keep a small personal radiator under my desk. Bit stinky when drying the kit, but what can ya do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I have desk socks. Thick, woolly slipper type socks, for days like today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

gadetra wrote: »
    I have desk socks. Thick, woolly slipper type socks, for days like today!

I wore my Galibier Ventoux Noir Socks to work today. the day required them tbh.

The fact I drove to work is irrelevant, my feet were warm and cosy all day.

It was baltic in Firhouse this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

great pics (as usual) from the Gruber's of The Womens Omloop!
    http://www.yarak.cc/omloop

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Hook clutches pearls:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/george-hook-threatens-to-sue-johnny-sexton-1.2560826
    The broadcaster has alleged that comments made by Sexton in the interview meant that Hook does not believe what he writes and broadcasts
    I'm very sorry to hear that he does mean everything he broadcasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

encountered an extremely ignorant woman driver on my way down sandyford road this morning.

I had been ticking along, around speed limit so at pace of cars so had taken line outside of the cycle lane with the speed, going as fast as cars in front etc, got to bus lane part and has it merges again im looking right to see can I merge, but this driver is literally on my tail won't pass but won't ease off, then starts beeping me, eventually relents so i can get in lane to take the left. Then beeps me some more.

Then passes me and berates me with window down for "being on the road" "cycling all over the road" and "getting in her way". Suppose the few times i encounter it means something but far too much of it really.

Was pretty annoyed at whole thing, less so the beeping more the need she felt to abuse someone for cycling a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Not sure what her gender had to do with it? Licence plate and report.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Licence plate and report.

Agreed, not many people see it that way but shouting abuse at someone can be considered assault by the Gardai. Too many people get away with such intimidation tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Her gender didn't come into it.

It's her gender, stated as a fact, at the start of the post, discover at the end of the incident. AFAICS

At no point is the incident blamed on her gender. She's actually referred to as "this driver" and then at the end "she"

If one was reporting the abuse would you not say the gender of the person? I think I would.

• Advertisement

Her gender didn't come into it.

It's her gender, stated as a fact, at the start of the post, discover at the end of the incident. AFAICS

At no point is the incident blamed on her gender. She's actually referred to as "this driver" and then at the end "she"

If one was reporting the abuse would you not say the gender of the person? I think I would.

"encountered an extremely ignorant woman driver"

If the driver's gender is of no consequence why refer to it?

Secondly, if the cycling forum on Boards.ie is considered the same as reporting an incident to the Gardaí then it may be over stepping the mark.

Feel free to come back with something about "PC gone mad" or similar.

adds to description, in general woman drivers are just as vocal, so no sexism intended.

reporting would be waste of time really unless you where physically confronted, kept my cool for most part with "we will have a right to use the road"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If I encountered an aggressive driver knowing that is was a lady would mean, for me, one extreme outcome was not on the cards. With a male driver that possibility always exists.

Riding up mountain passes at 6am I don't want to meet a bunch of guys in a car. Smell of fresh rubber donuts will waken you up sharpish.

So sometimes it may be relevant, but if lads want to get offended work away

manafana wrote: »
    adds to description, in general woman drivers are just as vocal, so no sexism intended.

Keep digging

ford2600 wrote: »
    If I encountered an aggressive driver knowing that is was a lady would mean, for me, one extreme outcome was not on the cards. With a male driver that possibility always exists.

Riding up mountain passes at 6am I don't want to meet a bunch of guys in a car. Smell of fresh rubber donuts will waken you up sharpish.

So sometimes it may be relevant, but if lads want to get offended work away

I've never had fresh rubber donuts. Are they nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I've never had fresh rubber donuts. Are they nice?

Your history degree came with a module in humor I see.

You won

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Badger to step down from bouncer duties after this year's TDF.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/03/news/hinault-to-retire-from-aso_397622

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Nice to see other sports having to deal with doping :)

RobFowl wrote: »
    Nice to see other sports having to deal with doping :)

Nice to see other sports admitting to doping is how I look at it. Doping is rife in almost every sport, has been since, well, since it wasn't allowed.

People always talk of cycling as that dirty sport but when confronted with their own sports they often just gloss over it.

I have heard of blood doping in soccer being openly talked about as therapy, reported in the news, but even the anti doping agencies, seem to ignore it.

Nice this is finally changing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

"encountered an extremely ignorant woman driver"

If the driver's gender is of no consequence why refer to it?

Secondly, if the cycling forum on Boards.ie is considered the same as reporting an incident to the Gardaí then it may be over stepping the mark.

Feel free to come back with something about "PC gone mad" or similar.

I feel that if anyone were to go to the gardai with a report like that, they'd need to rewrite it. I'm not sure what was supposed to be happening at all with the merging right to turn left? Maybe it's clear if you know the area but clear as mud to me as a northsider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

It's also nice to see a professional athlete accept responsibility and say that she did it rather than claiming that she knows nothing about it and she will clear her name blah blah blah. While she was foolish for not checking the list, she deserves some credit (imho) for taking it like a man (runs and hides from gadetra).

roverrules wrote: »
    I feel that if anyone were to go to the gardai with a report like that, they'd need to rewrite it. I'm not sure what was supposed to be happening at all with the merging right to turn left? Maybe it's clear if you know the area but clear as mud to me as a northsider.
    If its where i am thinking of, the bus lane re joins the main traffic lane about 10 yards before the junction. Technically the car would have the right of way AFAIK but since it would appear, even if rudely and poorly, the driver was accommodating of the merge, the cyclist was doing nothing wrong.
    The main issue is the aggression and the verbal assault, while the driving was poor, it would not be what I would report to the car. The fact that someone was being abusive and increasingly hostile while controlling a machine that had the potential to seriously injure or kill the other person, would be grounds for assault. Now whether the gardai do anything about that or not, well, alas, probably not. Not their fault but bar a word in the ear, there is very little they can do without other proof/witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Her gender is relevant.

Men tend to be more aggressive. So not only is it more unusual to receive this type of anger/abuse from a female driver than a male, it is also far less likely that she would escalate to physical violence. All of that is relevant imo.

I got doored by a little old lady last week. I posted about it and I mentioned that she was a little old lady. Partly to explain why i didn't even get the satisfaction of venting my annoyance at the person who doored me, because I am far more likely to lose my temper with a man than with an old lady.

I imagine that if the driver had been a boy racer he would have mentioned that too, he is not furthering a subtle misogynist plot to characterise all female drivers as incompetent or incapable. He is just describing what happened.

Having said all of that if he had described the driver as a "black guy" I would agree that should be called out and that is normally a good acid test. So I see where you are coming from but I think you are being overly sensitive.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Meldonium. Same thing Katusha's Vorganov got popped for.

Russian figure skater Ekaterina Bobrova also tested positive for it.

Sharapova, in her press conference, described it as "medicine".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

lennymc wrote: »
    It's also nice to see a professional athlete accept responsibility and say that she did it rather than claiming that she knows nothing about it and she will clear her name blah blah blah. While she was foolish for not checking the list, she deserves some credit (imho) for taking it like a man (runs and hides from gadetra).

She didn't really man up or accept responsibility, she appears to be spinning a web of lies. She claims it was for a health issue she's had for the last 10 years given to her by her family doctor.

She's been taking a drug, that's not approved for use by the FDA in the US, for over 10 years, allegedly prescribed by her family doctor who could lose his licence for doing so. Why not take an approved drug? Where is she getting this drug from if it can't be legally purchased or prescribed in the US, where she lives?
    Meldonium. Same thing Katusha's Vorganov got popped for.

Russian figure skater Ekaterina Bobrova also tested positive for it.

Sharapova, in her press conference, described it as "medicine".

I heard the rate of detection of this drug from the sample size points out to an anomaly in relation to the percentage of elite athletes with underlying heart conditions, if all those detected are taking it for what's it's meant for, compared to the rest of the population.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Fian wrote: »
    Her gender is relevant.

Men tend to be more aggressive. So not only is it more unusual to receive this type of anger/abuse from a female driver than a male, it is also far less likely that she would escalate to physical violence. All of that is relevant imo.

I got doored by a little old lady last week. I posted about it and I mentioned that she was a little old lady. Partly to explain why i didn't even get the satisfaction of venting my annoyance at the person who doored me, because I am far more likely to lose my temper with a man than with an old lady.

I imagine that if the driver had been a boy racer he would have mentioned that too, he is not furthering a subtle misogynist plot to characterise all female drivers as incompetent or incapable. He is just describing what happened.

Having said all of that if he had described the driver as a "black guy" I would agree that should be called out and that is normally a good acid test. So I see where you are coming from but I think you are being overly sensitive.

No. It's no more appropriate to call the driver out as a woman than a "black guy".
    I have always wondered why sexism is far more accepted than racism :rolleyes:

And that's all I'm gonna say on the matter.

Even though it wasn't on the banned list, is it still not doping for the previous 10 years if it is not taken for medical reasons. It improves circulation, and therefore would improve endurance and effort performances in an athlete.

I thought this still fell under doping as it is a drug taken with the specific reason of changing blood values in a roundabout sort of way.

Keep digging

digging what, im allowed specify if a person i encountered was a woman or male i use she or he not it.

roverrules wrote: »

it wasn't intended as a report to any gardai, simply a rant to say how annoyed I was a fellow road user felt the need to vocally abuse a cyclist.

On the merging, there are two lanes they become one before the junction.

• Advertisement

gadetra wrote: »
    No. It's no more appropriate to call the driver out as a woman than a "black guy".
    I have always wondered why sexism is far more accepted than racism :rolleyes:

And that's all I'm gonna say on the matter.

black guy is very different to calling someone a woman, this has really been overblown, in this case i pointed out it was a woman, as much as we'd assume it was a man otherwise and I would have used he, don't try pin that as sexist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement