Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

gadetra wrote: »
    No. It's no more appropriate to call the driver out as a woman than a "black guy".
    I have always wondered why sexism is far more accepted than racism :rolleyes:

And that's all I'm gonna say on the matter.

It was not "calling her out" it was describing her. And it was not sexism to describe the incident mentioning the gender of the driver.

You could have a sexist comment where bad driving was being described with the gender of the driver being mentioned as an explanation of the bad driving "well what more could you expect from a woman driver, poor dear was probably doing her best". That is not what the previous post was at, I don't think there was any sexism involved.

It would be racist and gratuitous to mention the race of the driver. It is not sexist or gratuitous to mention the gender in the context of this incident. For the record I don't consider sexism to be acceptable, nor obviously racism.

Anyway I guess I should take your example and the example of the poster of the first comment on board and say no more on this matter either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: I think we can leave the is it or isn't sexist or racist talk there. Any questions please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

CramCycle wrote: »
    Even though it wasn't on the banned list, is it still not doping for the previous 10 years if it is not taken for medical reasons. It improves circulation, and therefore would improve endurance and effort performances in an athlete.

I thought this still fell under doping as it is a drug taken with the specific reason of changing blood values in a roundabout sort of way.

Just to be clear, I applauded her action in saying that she took it, rather than the usual denial claptrap that is normally offered as a result of a positive. If it was not on the banned list I dont see how she could be banned or sanctioned.

Aren't there a number of drugs that some people openly take that help aid performance (Caffeine, tramadol etc) that are not on the list. What about non drugs. What about gels? What about vitamin supplements.

I think (and it is my understanding that) the only definitive list is the WADA list. If it's on it, don't take it (with exceptions). If it's not, then fair game?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jaysus :eek:

WATSON_00004522-002-630x421_zpsx4cdlbon.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Jaysus :eek:

WATSON_00004522-002-630x421_zpsx4cdlbon.jpg

That's me on the right and Lenny on the outside 😎

Oooohhh, fighting talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

On Maria Sharapova, I thought this was quite well argued:
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/mar/09/maria-sharapova-error-excuse-drugs

and this bit nicely put:
    I don’t know about you but whenever I go to my family doctor I always insist on the stuff that has only been exhaustively clinically trialled for different ailments to the one which it is treating in me, but which just seems like it “made me healthy”. I’m like: “Trial it on me! I’ll be a trial of one!” And I urge you to use this approach next time you can’t shake off the flu or Serena Williams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bilfinger are threatening to remove bikes around the IFSC (from bike racks no less)

Saw some of the signs on some bikes this afternoon similar to these from a broadsheet story in 2013

Surely, they don't have the right and it should be considered theft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Weepsie wrote: »
    Bilfinger are threatening to remove bikes around the IFSC (from bike racks no less)

Saw some of the signs on some bikes this afternoon similar to these from a broadsheet story in 2013

Surely, they don't have the right and it should be considered theft?

What?! :confused:

The areas of the Docklands that are covered by Bilfinger are private property AFAIK. With that in mind, then I guess they do have the right (unreasonable and all as it is).

However, you say this is in relation to bike racks?! That one I find hard to fathom (unless it's in relation to old vandalised & abandoned bike frames).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

The areas of the Docklands that are covered by Bilfinger are private property AFAIK. With that in mind, then I guess they do have the right

If someone parks a car in your private lot, do you have right to burn it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Abandoned bikes are a problem in the city center. It means other cyclists can't use the rack. The council has the right to clear abandoned bikes locked to the racks after a period of time, but not, as far as I know, in a managed area.

It's just another form of littering.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Abandoned bikes are a problem in the city center. It means other cyclists can't use the rack. The council has the right to clear abandoned bikes locked to the racks after a period of time, but not, as far as I know, in a managed area.

It's just another form of littering.

I am not certain of this. I understand that if its not a designated cycle lock, they have to give you a notice of 24hours to remove, but I could be wrong but if there is clear signage saying not to lock, they can remove it straight away. The same goes for private property to an extent eg if your bike is locked to railings with a public side or space, the same rules apply but if you throw your bike into a garden, they can do what they want with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am not certain of this. I understand that if its not a designated cycle lock, they have to give you a notice of 24hours to remove, but I could be wrong but if there is clear signage saying not to lock, they can remove it straight away. The same goes for private property to an extent eg if your bike is locked to railings with a public side or space, the same rules apply but if you throw your bike into a garden, they can do what they want with it.

I've noticed abandoned bikes being cleared, after a period of time, from the designated bike racks on Parnell Street and Princes St North, with no obvious warning signs over the past year.

They seem to have a more thought out policy now though link

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well that's my outrage quashed for now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Wonder if they'll progress it onto locks without cycles attached to them, they're just as much an eyesore.

Currently on the train from Sligo, people sitting down the end of the carriage have decided to play YouTube videos at full volume. I cannot for the life of me figure out what they're watching. The sound is a mix of chainsaws, motorbikes, tin whistles, diddly-eye fiddle-ing and weird wailing-Irish-woman-singing.

Oh how I wish I brought my headphones.

Why the fcuk they think everyone else on the train wants to listen to it is beyond me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

I thought Irish Rail managed to block YouTube? The lack of any consideration for others would truly amaze you sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

is it "time"?

A question I keep asking myself.

"soon, my little CF SLX, soon...."

I'm bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Currently on the train from Sligo, people sitting down the end of the carriage have decided to play YouTube videos at full volume. I cannot for the life of me figure out what they're watching. The sound is a mix of chainsaws, motorbikes, tin whistles, diddly-eye fiddle-ing and weird wailing-Irish-woman-singing.

Why the fcuk they think everyone else on the train wants to listen to it is beyond me. :mad:

Is there anyway you could live-stream the events to YouTube?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Sadly public service DJs are a global phenomenon nowadays.

Basically having a boyracer car with subwoofers in the boot has been pedestrianised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Raam wrote: »
    Is there anyway you could live-stream the events to YouTube?

U stream. or Periscope.

I think a live stream would be too exciting!

Yep YouTube us blocked on the trains, although it worked for me last week on my laptop, but not on the phone.

Even the poor screaming child had gone quiet. I don't think they like to be upstaged.

Nearly there. Thank fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Can we at least get some pics of the action?

Too late, home now. They weren't very impressive as it turned out, and quite small in stature. The were inversely proportional to the size of the racket they made :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mezzanine08

They don't care because they're in a group. Had the same issue on the bus to Waterford last month, though I had my earphones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Yours truly on the journal.ie today! :o

C4E1Q7C.png

Always loved that suitcase.

Wow. Never knew you were an astronaut zyxx :)

Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Zyzz wrote: »
    Yours truly on the journal.ie today! :o

Well done :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement