Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ikea is a great place for the cycling shopper of homeware, isn't it? Flat-pack philosophy really allows you to get home stuff that would otherwise be too bulky.

I did a fully laden trip both ways a few weeks back.

On way out, dropping off nested tables to mother-in-law:
    381612.jpg

About to head home from Ikea:
    381613.jpg

I heartily endorse the Chariot Cougar child trailer. (Also can be used for transporting small humans.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Daan Myngheer has died following his heart attack at the criterium intetnational. Sad week for cycling, tragically young

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

I knew that was coming. Honestly!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

It would seem that a lot of commuting cyclists use the changing of the clocks as their que to start and stop their commute by bike. I was talking to a mate over the weekend and he was saying he was going to start back commuting on his bike now that the clocks were about to change. Then in the last two mornings I'd say I've seen triple the amount of people commuting by bike than there was only last week.

Great to see so many people on their bikes. I was in my car sipping a lovely coffee feeling very jealous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Accident on Mayor St. Lower. Cyclist and Luas collision. I turned onto Guild St. from behind the Convention centre. I could see the Luas stopped and the ambulance but assumed it was someone ill on the Luas. Hope the cyclist is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

http://irishcycle.com/2016/03/30/cyclist-injured-in-trambicycle-collision-in-dublins-ifsc/ is quoting the journal.ie as saying that the cyclists injuries are minor. Hopefully that's true; great news if so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

gadetra wrote: »

You only need to hit 20mph to hold yourself up, this is epic news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

http://airows.com/interiors-and-home/ddaann-and-mjlk-cycling-guest-house

Though I don't think it really counts as a cycling guest-house unless you can roll the bike right on into the shower with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

OldBean wrote: »

so what, its just a guesthouse like any other except they don't mind you bringing your bike in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Raam wrote: »
    No wattage, HR? Fúck that.

Here is the combined wattage+HR version (not sure it's working though - wattage/HR monitor says effort is in zone 6, face suggests zone 12):

8347652-0-150007.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

OldBean wrote: »
    http://airows.com/interiors-and-home/ddaann-and-mjlk-cycling-guest-house

Though I don't think it really counts as a cycling guest-house unless you can roll the bike right on into the shower with you.

I'm staying at the Volkshotel in Amsterdam in a couple of weeks. It has themed rooms, one of which is a White Bike Room. (I'm not staying in it, alas.)
    There’s nothing more Dutch than a bike, well, except tulips and wooden shoes, but they’re not as exciting. This room is dedicated to the Dutch love for bikes. All parts of a bike are utilised around the room, you even sleep in a big bakfiets (a dutch bike cart). This room comes with two white bicycles to cycle around Amsterdam. Now you really will go Dutch.
    http://www.volkshotel.nl/en/hotel/#special-rooms

https://www.volkshotel.nl/en/blog/art-cult/special-room-white-bike/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Sigh. Crank on my bike is now creaking like a... well creaky thing. LBS where I bought it didn't believe me then took it for a spin and came back thinking the crank may need to be replaced. Really not happy, I had wanted a Scott for ages and it's thrown problem after problem at me. 3k kms and 7 months of ownership have seen both front and rear wheel fall apart, needed a new headset and now the crank seems to have let go. It's been absolutely babied, chain and all cogs have zero wear and there's not a mark on the bike. Potholes always avoided and never have huge pressure on the chain set.

So annoyed now

Edit: when I said crank I meant bottom bracket. Wa tired :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

3000km for a modern bottom bracket seems to be acceptable, unfortunately.

Make sure the creaking is not coming from the chainring bolts - I have replaced pedals and BB recently before I discovered that ;)

Alek wrote: »

Make sure the creaking is not coming from the chainring bolts - I have replaced pedals and BB recently before I discovered that ;)

The bottom bracket on my main bike has been there since I bought it six and a half years ago (not sure what distance that might represent; more than 15000km anyway). Not sure whether it counts as a modern bottom bracket though. Square taper sealed unit. Was modern to me when I got it, as I'd been using three-piece bottom brackets till then.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The bottom bracket on my main bike has been there since I bought it six and a half years ago (not sure what distance that might represent; more than 15000km anyway). Not sure whether it counts as a modern bottom bracket though. Square taper sealed unit. Was modern to me when I got it, as I'd been using three-piece bottom brackets till then.

I think modern refers to any of the ones that putting the cranks on is almost childs play eg hollowtech or similar.

My last two BBs were a hollowtech which lasted well over 10,000km, based on the time I had it, I would say north of 15,000km. That said when it was taken off it was a mess but functional.

The other one is a Fuji stock square taper one, just made sure the edges were cleaned and glooped over with grease and it has also lasted north of 10,000km and is still on the go, although in less use now.

I tend to replace hollowtech BBs every 4000km or so, as they develop play and start making noises. Unless its cyclocross season, as mud eats these bottom brackets for breakfast.

Note that I do a bit offroad and don't clean the bike too often ;)
    15000km [...] Square taper sealed unit.

I would not refer to them as "modern", but square tapers are indestructible in comparison.
    My last two BBs were a hollowtech which lasted well over 10,000km,

Thats a lot compared to my results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

What sort of Scott bike is it?

Got a Scott Addict in October 2015 and have had a fair few things go wrong with it as well.

Rearwheel Free hub broke leaving me stranded on a spin. (Still waiting on warranty replacement now after 2-3 months)

Bottom bracket creaking like yours. Headset replaced. That said I did ride it all winter so some wear and tear to be expected I guess but the Scott distributor here is not good.
    Sigh. Crank on my bike is now creaking like a... well creaky thing. LBS where I bought it didn't believe me then took it for a spin and came back thinking the crank may need to be replaced. Really not happy, I had wanted a Scott for ages and it's thrown problem after problem at me. 3k kms and 7 months of ownership have seen both front and rear wheel fall apart, needed a new headset and now the crank seems to have let go. It's been absolutely babied, chain and all cogs have zero wear and there's not a mark on the bike. Potholes always avoided and never have huge pressure on the chain set.

So annoyed now

Edit: when I said crank I meant bottom bracket. Wa tired :)

given these components are in the middle to higher end of road bikes owned by people who are likely to put in a fair amount of training is a 3000km really acceptable. im a few hundred k's short of 3k for this year already, many of my club mates would have done more. given these parts are for bikes that will be ridden a lot, shouldn't they last a bit longer.

I mean "acceptable" as in "shoite happens". I guess they are designed to take more abuse, but reality is often different...

I use cheapest BBs (Tiagra, approx e15) and change them myself 2-3 times a year. Thats not a lot of money at the end!

On the subject of innovations:
    Automatic tire inflators are like disc brakes for road bikes in that if they were there first and then someone invented the stuff they replaced then that someone would be hailed as a genius. Consider:

INTEGRATED ROAD DISC BRAKES
    ultegra.jpeg
    --Ultra-light
    --Adjustable on the fly
    --No fluid, easily serviced
    --Large-diameter rotor is integrated with wheel for stopping power and additional weight savings
    --Allows lightning-fast wheel changes
    --Come in different reaches to accommodate higher-volume tires
    http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.ie/2016/03/walking-new-extreme-sport.html

true, and in fairness i get a lot more than 3k out on my components but i think it would be a costly game if we were to follow common guidelines and replace bb's chains and cassettes very 3/4 k or so. especially if you're a mechanical no hoper like me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I mean "acceptable" as in "shoite happens". I guess they are designed to take more abuse, but reality is often different...

I use cheapest BBs (Tiagra, approx e15) and change them myself 2-3 times a year. Thats not a lot of money at the end!

Is your shell properly faced Alex?

I thought Hollow Tech 11 were crap as the one fitted on a bike I bought failed at 2k km. Since I fitted them myself, they have never failed, so as much as 12k km plus.

I change bb every winter so it doesn't get stuck on frame, but they seem fine coming off. I even serviced one just because it says "Do not dismante" so I dismantled it and it has a couple of thousand done since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hklHC2ae04g

I never fitted anything above 105. The new Ultegra one(it has a narrow cups and needs adapter) claims to have better sealing but who knows.

You could just buy a Chris King one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I have converted PaterScone to the virtues of the cycling cap.

My work here is done.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Is your shell properly faced Alex?

Wha, me shell faced? Whatya mean?

8c1d4a1e6f1b54f5592da2bbc063d847.jpg

In a serious tone now, on the Kinesis the BB threads were not exactly in line (I had troubles inserting the chainset!), but had them faced 2k km ago. Time will tell now :) On the Croix de fer it seems fine, but you never know...
    The new Ultegra one(it has a narrow cups and needs adapter) claims to have better sealing but who knows.

I have removed one after the winter (road mostly), bearings were full of water... :/

Thats a lot compared to my results.
    I did tend to just ride until a problem developed rather than doing anything preemptive. The BB was in bits when it came out after that time with no maintenance but having looked at it. If I had just cleaned it now and again, it probably would have lasted longer IMO. It was a Tiagra or lower BB.

• Advertisement

Ah, I see. I tend to change the BB at the first palpable play at the cranks or repeating creaks/knocks coming from the BB :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement