Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I got around 15,000 from a press fit Shimano BB (probably 105) if that counts as modern. I've replaced it with a Dura Ace one that has done another 20,000 plus and still going strong. Unfortunately I don't have the tools so it was a bit expensive.

Headset went completely at 30,000 (it had been a bit sticky for the previous 5,000) or so. Handy enough to replace the bearings.

I'm still not that happy at having to replace either part. To be fair, I was also taken aback a little the first time I had to replace chainrings (15k). So it's probably a bit of "when I was a young lad, things were built to last etc" on my part.

By the way - any idea how long a frame should last? ; current frame has c. 40,000 on it and apart from some lifting of paint and the usual bumps and bruises it looks ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Dutch google april fools - self driving bike. Well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZPNwZex9s

watch?v=LSZPNwZex9s

Hmm, i don't know how to embed a youtube video.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

By the way - any idea how long a frame should last? ; current frame has c. 40,000 on it and apart from some lifting of paint and the usual bumps and bruises it looks ok.

Depends on the material, usage, build quality and how well its looked after.

Steel: Longer than you
    Aluminium: Between 5 years and slightly longer than you
    Carbon: Lifes greatest mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

CramCycle wrote: »
    Depends on the material, usage, build quality and how well its looked after.

Steel: Longer than you
    Aluminium: Between 5 years and slightly longer than you
    Carbon: Lifes greatest mystery

horse poo

2 steel frames broken in 20 years my aluminum mtb was bought in the early nineties and the carbon frame is 7 years old

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

horse poo

2 steel frames broken in 20 years my aluminum mtb was bought in the early nineties and the carbon frame is 7 years old

Thats all that rain up in Donegal, rusts steel to f*ck ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I got around 15,000 from a press fit Shimano BB (probably 105) if that counts as modern. I've replaced it with a Dura Ace one that has done another 20,000 plus and still going strong. ....
    My beater/commuter (a Ridley Gladius with 105 built in 2012 by Cycle Bike) has 28k on the original BB. It has become somewhat of a joke with my LBS (Richie's in Swords) as I keep asking them to check it but they say it's fine. Richie reckons that Shimano need to be notified about it at this stage! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My beater/commuter (a Ridley Gladius with 105 built in 2012 by Cycle Bike) has 28k on the original BB

Speechless. What BB is it, hollowtech?

Either way, maybe you are special on more levels that we think WA :P

horse poo

Like I said, build quality and usage mean alot.

Alek wrote: »
    Speechless. What BB is it, hollowtech?...
    Haven't a clue and I don't have it to hand at the moment to check. I'm afraid knowledge of BB's is not my strong point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Going home on Friday evening, this is what greeted me when I went to get my bike from the 'secure' area in work:

A0DFCE35-E2A5-4F1B-A318-1F525BCBB9E4.jpg

Feckers.

Think I need to keep the minions a bit busier........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Think I need to keep the minions a bit busier........

Unpaid overtime for everyone!

Credit where credit is due, they done a good job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

So Drury st car park closes at 10pm on a Sunday. Did not know that! On the bus home, bike is stranded inside :( Hate the bike being out all night. Town was so busy I forgot it was a Sunday :O

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Town was so busy I forgot it was a Sunday :O

Ah, student life... ;)

gadetra wrote: »
    So Drury st car park closes at 10pm on a Sunday. Did not know that! On the bus home, bike is stranded inside :( Hate the bike being out all night. Town was so busy I forgot it was a Sunday :O
    They used to close at 7 or 8pm on a Sunday/Bank Holiday. Was caught out myself a few years ago.

ezra_ wrote: »
    Unpaid overtime for everyone!

Hmmmmm, I may have to re-introduce beatings.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Credit where credit is due, they done a good job.

Yep, too good - it took me ages to get it all off!!

There may have been one than one department involved though as there was much sniggering as I walked through the office this morning. I smell a conspiracy.

Now, where did I leave my tinfoil hat...........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^^^
    Wear your lycra at work for revenge...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No....

12599293_167424430316597_421178086_n.jpg

No... No.... NO!

12905176_477648029088941_224830625_n.jpg

cdaly_ wrote: »
    ^^^
    Wear your lycra at work for revenge...

I have a feeling that's what started all this in the first place.

Clearly some sort of revenge for 'crimes against office-attire code' or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

This nearly brought a tear to my eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

doozerie wrote: »
    This is an interesting mix of the old-school (analogue speedo) and the modern (ride details can be copied off in GPX format via USB), I like it:

381554.jpg

It doesn't exist as a product yet, as such, further info here: Link

This has gone live on Kickstarter: LINK

I still like the idea and look of it a lot, but at a cost of $499 I’ll be liking it from a distance.

Apparently the battery will last 24 hours and they have “a training-specific variant (inc. power/cadence/HR)” planned for the future.

Oh, and Fabian Cancellara is their brand ambassador, and for $3,000 you get to ride with/get dropped by Cancellara on the roads of the Santa Monica Mountains. Much as it would be interesting to meet Cancellara I can be dropped by lots of people in a local race for a tiny fraction of that cost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So Eurosport are using the theme from Glenroe for the intro music for the Tour of Azerbijan.

(Turn your volume up)>>> https://youtu.be/T4H44wWrooU

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Lads what's the story with Conti GP 4000II , can't lay my hands on 23mm with blue sidewall . Have they discontinued coloured sidewalls?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Hi everyone, I hope this is a good place to ask if anyone knows for a cheap place in Dublin for to do a bike service (preferably Dublin North). Thanks a lot!

So Eurosport are using the theme from Glenroe for the intro music for the Tour of Azerbijan.

(Turn your volume up)>>> https://youtu.be/T4H44wWrooU
    That's not remotely like the Glenroe theme tune! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Don't know what Glenroe you were watching there pal :)

My bike is with LBS since last Thursday, owner of said store has gone awol, with talk of closing down, he'd mentioned this to me last week. I can't get him through FB or on his mobile so I'm not far off going round with an angle grinder to open the place up and retrieve my bike. My OHs father's bike is in there too. My thinking is if he's not answering to me he sure as hell won't answer to his Landlord who may n possibly clear the place

Lavinia wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I hope this is a good place to ask if anyone knows for a cheap place in Dublin for to do a bike service (preferably Dublin North). Thanks a lot!

360 Cycles in Clontarf gets my vote every time. Pure gents and reasonably priced. They are just up from the wooden bridge.

That's not remotely like the Glenroe theme tune! :confused:

I heard the tune and I immediately thought "Crap, have I got all my homework done for tomorrow?"!!!!

Ah, the memories...........:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

After 90mins of trying to fit a vredestein senso weather extreme to a wtb i19, snapping 3 plastic tyre levers in the process I had to revert to metal tyre levers.

:mad:

And I can handroll Paves on.

sorry, had to vent somewhere. hands are in ribbons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement