Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Anyone recommend nice durable, nice feel bar tape? Black or black & Green.:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »

I am a big fan of the specialized bar phat but it is pricey as tape goes. On from that Koga bar tape is really good and really cheap in my experience, very durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sherlok

I use Deda Traforato. It's hard wearing and comfy.

.... and it's got tiny holes, so it must be lighter, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭scott.s

Just fitted some black and green Supacaz tape on my bike and it's so nice. Some may find it a bit pricey though

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

i always recommend zipp service course cyclocross bartape on here

http://www.zipp.com/accessories/service-course-cyclocross-handlebar-tape/

grippy and but not particularly squishy, never looks worn or dirty in black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Don't know what Glenroe you were watching there pal :)

My bike is with LBS since last Thursday, owner of said store has gone awol, with talk of closing down, he'd mentioned this to me last week. I can't get him through FB or on his mobile so I'm not far off going round with an angle grinder to open the place up and retrieve my bike. My OHs father's bike is in there too. My thinking is if he's not answering to me he sure as hell won't answer to his Landlord who may n possibly clear the place

Both bikes dropped to my house today. I was seething this morning in work but normal service resumed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

scott.s wrote: »
    Just fitted some black and green Supacaz tape on my bike and it's so nice. Some may find it a bit pricey though

Any pics? :p

I was looking at lizard skin 3.2mm
    51k5dHkCEmL.jpg

Anyone have any experience with lizard skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

After thinking that I'd cut my new veloce 10spd chain to the correct length on Tuesday I took the roadbike out on Wednesday morning and discovered that the chain was still skipping in the low gears.

Taking this as a sign the chain was still too long I took another 2 links out tonight.

Upon testing in the carpark all seemed well till I went into 4th on the back while in the big ring and locked solid.

Debating with myself whether to try and put a link back in tonight or just go on the sora equipped bike in the morning (more the weather for it anyway)

I give up on myself as a person.

The next ten campagnolo chains I get will be fitted by the LBS.

The real question is should I ground the bike until the chain is sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Nice tape. A little bit of a pain to wrap as it's not as stretchy as other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

51k5dHkCEmL.jpg

I really like it. Comfortable and grippy. Can feel a little strange in the rain.

I got my LBS to fit it. It says not to stretch it when installing, and I knew I'd only go make a mess of it.

The plugs are absolutely crap, though. I broke one leaning it against the wall coming back from the LBS after fitting, and the other fell apart as I was going to replace it for the wooden plugs I have in there now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Woke up this morning feeling the love !
    Love cycling and all the great and wierd wired people I've met through it
    Even love all the oddballs here
    Even the mods ....

Keep the faith and see you all on the road

RobFowl wrote: »
    Woke up this morning feeling the love !
    Love cycling and all the great and wierd wired people I've met through it
    Even love all the oddballs here
    Even the mods ....

Keep the faith and see you all on the road

Awww, em, well, I like you :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Not sure if anyone else is following Martin Porter's analysis of his unsuccessful private prosecution after a dangerous overtake, but today's instalment is particularly interesting - why jury trials tend to acquit on motoring offences.

http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.ie/2016/04/it-is-time-to-rethink-defendants-right.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

At the risk of breaking up the luv-fest here, has anyone any experience of http://bdopcycling.com/BDop%20Offset%20Holders.asp ?
    2yy3x4k.png
    They extend the reach of normal brake calliper so by up to 7mm and avoid the need to go for long reach calipers that are generally regarded as being less effective than short ones.
    A number of new "sportif" frames that I have been looking at are designed to take up to 28cc tyres with full mudguards but need the long reach breaks because of the extra clearance. An alternative of course is to go for a disc compatible frame but I'm not sure I want to go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

and avoid the need to go for long reach calipers that are generally regarded as being less effective than short ones.

Its the mechanical advantage of the brake that decides of its effectiveness. It does not matter if you extend the brake arm by using a long reach brake or a dropped pad, the mechanical advantage will be the same.

The only option I see is (if you want to retain the short reach caliper braking power) is to mount it a bit lower and use standard pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mechanically having the mounting bolt offset above the brake pad means there will be additional rotational forces acting on the pad. If the bolt isn't tightened properly, you're more likely to destroy your tyre in an emergency braking situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

buffalo wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else is following Martin Porter's analysis of his unsuccessful private prosecution after a dangerous overtake, but today's instalment is particularly interesting - why jury trials tend to acquit on motoring offences.

http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.ie/2016/04/it-is-time-to-rethink-defendants-right.html

I absolutely agree that the "There but for the grace of God go I" attitude of jurors is the largest problem in the trials. That's a very interesting read.

_MPng-p2tDE0gqZs_1LJhSGd8t1-z-EWn10QFp3BdXjL0KYSs-x_uuWOyFSt0jSRMT199urs1kPro9z8Ogpnd5IND4-ekeyny1v6Gps1_BMIDcpmjgRd_n6lkTDjFJxgGwI4kfUqfsvUPr1sOAcA4zfnL2qoe2lLX3iAcHnv6Ej1tBMejSoZxQVECyDzoaTyWMkdvdpgN2m8VHrge4FZKKWwN5u8Qa8LcL_XdU1ZaDezpjh76vN8bPxTl1d0pXS33vXtIyaGfWdK-HhPXJXEN_jl8PuRXIT6R2fkBEVEJLwrGluZv_2jlnHbdJyDsYKu_y06MdGViF9Vo4yDa0lORXLxEQFLxXXawI8S0_7D4rDizpDIdyeJ_GNO1cngcElCKAVf69mK2elcNto8qmscXF6cO9jFuBzay-ASkGYFDrxo8HlJgmbDavFYJJ2AP39-giJ7W-ktiUADJX453iM2-waWk5UVOu9RIaeQVPzOBIjo4xDNn60FLDT6xyX7oVvFD4ejOtcOe9w-LUwBCZW-hxSKOccFnpNcUgXlgB4MFTwrN7_GDtEu_suLwTIqu5Es3XtU=w700

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

koutoubia wrote: »
    A huge well done to the girl in the 3 shop yesterday ...instead of upgrading my phone and contract actually deleted my number and closed and deactivited my number. A feat that even the customer service team were astounded by.

Soooo....almost 2 weeks later and roughly 6 calls to customer service 4 trips to instore and a 5th will be needed again this evening and still no fooking closer to getting this mess sorted.
    Someone will die very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/college-green-plaza-plan-to-be-available-for-public-submissions-1.2602338
    Plans for the creation of a pedestrian and cycling plaza at Dublin’s College Green will be available for public consultation from Monday.

Anyone ever hear of a cycling plaza before? Is O'Connell St a pedestrian and motoring plaza because there's a roadway through it? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

_MPng-p2tDE0gqZs_1LJhSGd8t1-z-EWn10QFp3BdXjL0KYSs-x_uuWOyFSt0jSRMT199urs1kPro9z8Ogpnd5IND4-ekeyny1v6Gps1_BMIDcpmjgRd_n6lkTDjFJxgGwI4kfUqfsvUPr1sOAcA4zfnL2qoe2lLX3iAcHnv6Ej1tBMejSoZxQVECyDzoaTyWMkdvdpgN2m8VHrge4FZKKWwN5u8Qa8LcL_XdU1ZaDezpjh76vN8bPxTl1d0pXS33vXtIyaGfWdK-HhPXJXEN_jl8PuRXIT6R2fkBEVEJLwrGluZv_2jlnHbdJyDsYKu_y06MdGViF9Vo4yDa0lORXLxEQFLxXXawI8S0_7D4rDizpDIdyeJ_GNO1cngcElCKAVf69mK2elcNto8qmscXF6cO9jFuBzay-ASkGYFDrxo8HlJgmbDavFYJJ2AP39-giJ7W-ktiUADJX453iM2-waWk5UVOu9RIaeQVPzOBIjo4xDNn60FLDT6xyX7oVvFD4ejOtcOe9w-LUwBCZW-hxSKOccFnpNcUgXlgB4MFTwrN7_GDtEu_suLwTIqu5Es3XtU=w700
    Is your Garmin mount attached via the stem bolts? Neat job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Alek wrote: »
    Its the mechanical advantage of the brake that decides of its effectiveness. It does not matter if you extend the brake arm by using a long reach brake or a dropped pad, the mechanical advantage will be the same.

The only option I see is (if you want to retain the short reach caliper braking power) is to mount it a bit lower and use standard pads.

Was afraid that the length of the lever arm was the critical factor but thought maybe the rigidity of the caliper might be an issue too. I can't really imagine any safe method of dropping the pivot point for the brakes if that's what you're suggesting.
    seamus wrote: »
    Mechanically having the mounting bolt offset above the brake pad means there will be additional rotational forces acting on the pad. If the bolt isn't tightened properly, you're more likely to destroy your tyre in an emergency braking situation.

Hadn't thought of that.

Maybe the Shimano R650s with Swiss Stop pads is the way to go.

Is your Garmin mount attached via the stem bolts? Neat job!

I use a Fizik stem and the Barfly Fizik mount. It's quite sleek and doesn't take up any extra space on the bars

http://www.fizik.it/components/components-accessories/bar-fly/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Snowing ffs

The sun is splitting the stones in Wexford :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

It's really lovely, where did you get that tape? Is green the only colour? :)

Lavinia wrote: »
    It's really lovely, where did you get that tape? Is green the only colour? :)

Full disclosure, I sell it. Doubt I can post a shop link here without mod approval but PM if you have questions.

Disregarding that, it's still the best tape I've used. I've had BBB, Fizik and others but Supacaz is lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Eurosport advert for international archery:

"Archery. The ultimate sporting challenge."

What the actual f were they thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

koutoubia wrote: »
    Soooo....almost 2 weeks later and roughly 6 calls to customer service 4 trips to instore and a 5th will be needed again this evening and still no fooking closer to getting this mess sorted.
    Someone will die very soon.

You'll get a nice credit for the feck up. That's what happened in our case anyway with Eir. Twice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Gonna start hedging for another phone without any obligations!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement