Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

http://www.thejournal.ie/places-to-see-by-bike-in-ireland-2705285-Apr2016/

"Seven places in Ireland to see by bike".

No Lough Tay though, so they clearly don't know what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

12983469_10153783673314145_4381419848213607232_o.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    "We've all watched too many episodes": This is why the discipline of Statistics exists.

This caught my eye as well, i have watched loads of this show, not usually my cuppa tea but my daughter watches it and I just fell into watching it.

I must have seen at least one full season, the only bike related accident was a kid on a BMX who wiped out messing about with friends.

He wasn't seriously injured, they held him in as a precaution overnight, he was fine but the precaution was a wise move, he had a swollen eye. At the end of the episode, they showed him out on his bike again. How she equated that show to not cycling is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

7Jw8Rae

Edit, don't know if it's boards playing up or me but here's the link, pedestrians falling over themselves to take cyclists out
    http://imgur.com/gallery/7Jw8Rae

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »

I am not sold, it might be too awkward to use it at that place. If you have to take your hand off the bar to hit the bell then probably is not going to work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Run in with a car this evening. No damage to man and luckily the only damage to machine is a few small scratches on the brake track of the front wheel where it rubbed off a kerb. Anyone want to suggest a grade of sandpaper to start with to give them a rub to wear them down?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I am not sold, it might be too awkward to use it at that place.

Makes the bike legal in the Netherlands though. No exemption for race bikes there.
    Volgens artikel 5.9.71 van de regeling voertuigen moeten fietsen voorzien zijn van een goed werkende fietsbel. Als hier niet aan wordt voldaan, bedraagt de boete €35,-.

Another not overly practical solution, a bell bottle: http://bi-bell.nl

Idleater wrote: »
    Makes the bike legal in the Netherlands though. No exemption for race bikes there.

Oh didn't know it was a requirement for all bikes. Well in that case it makes sense to have something like that, it's not for use, it's for display purposes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Oh didn't know it was a requirement for all bikes. Well in that case it makes sense to have something like that, it's not for use, it's for display purposes :D

I'll check for conformance at the start of the Giro next month :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/new-zealand-hotel-bans-lycra-shorts-because-of-unsightly-bulges-1.2611803
    " ....“I fully support Mike’s ban on Lycra. Because when the cyclists come in they do stink, they are sweaty and it is unhygienic sitting on the furniture and everyone, including little children, partaking in their post exercise demeanor.....":D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

The kiwis must have solved all of their other problems if they take an issue on lycra :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/new-zealand-hotel-bans-lycra-shorts-because-of-unsightly-bulges-1.2611803
    " ....“I fully support Mike’s ban on Lycra. Because when the cyclists come in they do stink, they are sweaty and it is unhygienic sitting on the furniture and everyone, including little children, partaking in their post exercise demeanor.....":D

Or if you dare to venture into the comment debate, the original articloe is in teh grauniad:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/15/lycra-ban-new-zealand-hotel-bumps-and-bulges-breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Fian wrote: »
    Or if you dare to venture into the comment debate, the original articloe is in teh grauniad:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/15/lycra-ban-new-zealand-hotel-bumps-and-bulges-breakfast

Has anyone pointed out that it's a cafe, not a hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Helen-Lovejoy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

If I'm reading that correctly, sweaty cyclists are sitting on little children? Well, I'm all in favour of banning that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

buffalo wrote: »
    If I'm reading that correctly, sweaty cyclists are sitting on little children? Well, I'm all in favour of banning that.

Ah here, as a parent I always found sitting on little children an essential part of toddler crowd control. Works even better in sweaty lycra. Also works on teenage girls too. You don't even have to sit on them, just walking into the room seems to do the trick nicely. For those of you having any difficulty in this regard, you may also want to consider working on your beer gut which is really necessary to get the most out of your lycra.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

Speaking of sweaty lycra....
    One time I came in from a long spin and deposited all my gear in the laundry "basket".
    Shortly afterwards, I heard a high pitched howl of confusion and disgust.
    It transpired that mrs ox was putting on a wash and had put her hand into the aforementioned laundry "basket", unfortunately the first thing her hand made contact with was the upturned sweaty chamois of my bib-shorts.
    I couldn't understand her reaction...they are Santini after all.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I tend to dismiss anything relating to cycling in Aus/NZ as just part of some wider anti-cycling pathology that affects the Antipodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I have to get this off my chest...

Canyon really have lost the plot at a senior level.

First their IT peeps made a complete mess of their move to a new factory, causing chaos.

Now their senior marketing/Sales people have decided that during their PCF "sale" that they will discount the sales bikes even more?

For example, the Inflite AL 9 was 1,799 and with 10% off, reduced by 180.
    Now it has 270 off. If I bought one last week I'd be highly p1ssed off (I didn't)

Who is running the place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I have to get this off my chest...

Canyon really have lost the plot at a senior level.

First their IT peeps made a complete mess of their move to a new factory, causing chaos.

Now their senior marketing/Sales people have decided that during their PCF "sale" that they will discount the sales bikes even more?

For example, the Inflite AL 9 was 1,799 and with 10% off, reduced by 180.
    Now it has 270 off. If I bought one last week I'd be highly p1ssed off (I didn't)

Who is running the place!

What happened with the move to a new factory? Any links to the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

What happened with the move to a new factory? Any links to the story?

More of an unfolding saga, than a story, though I am sure it was probably refered to on some of the Cycling sites.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/an-update-from-roman-arnold-to-all-canyon-customers-2016.html

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/canyon-ceo-we-failed-to-deliver-the-level-of-service-that-our-company-stands-for-213171

I think he had to make couple of apologies too.

And things still are not that great tbh. FBI book is where I have been reading about it, mostly from p1ssed off punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Not generally a fan of listy things but this is pretty good, especially 1-4 and 6 and 7:

https://totalwomenscycling.com/lifestyle/12-annoying-things-men-say-club-rides-72173/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Inquitus wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

That had to hurt - No mention of hand/finger injuries!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Am I crazy?

The longest I've gone is 50k so far

I'm thinking of doing a 100k ride next week

My plan is to cycle the 100k (roughly 300m up and 300m down) stay overnight for one or two nights and then cycle the 100k back home.

I wouldn't be in any hurry to get there plan to leave early in the morning and take a break somewhere in between.

Is this too big a jump?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Call me Benjamin Buttoncyclemaintainer.

Having never irreperably fceked up fitting a chain over the last dozen or so prior to this fortnight. I've now overly shortened two on two bikes in a row...

So much sadness.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Am I crazy?

The longest I've gone is 50k so far

I'm thinking of doing a 100k ride next week

My plan is to cycle the 100k (roughly 300m up and 300m down) stay overnight for one or two nights and then cycle the 100k back home.

I wouldn't be in any hurry to get there plan to leave early in the morning and take a break somewhere in between.

Is this too big a jump?
    How were you after the 50k? If you pace it and rest and drink and fuel properly it should be doable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

My rear mech has been acting up and completely gave up the ghost on Saturday - the chain tension spring failed. I recalled seeing a GCN video where they shortened the chain and basically turned the bike into a single speed.

So I gave it a go as my chain is due replacement anyway. I couldn't get a decent fit as the chain was always one link to long and this allowed the chain to drop down to the smaller gears - 50/11 with the chain dragging on the ground wasn't really what I had been aiming for.

I know what to do!. I channeled my inner bodgerman and made up a custom cassette from some old parts which went 28-25-23-21 -28-23-25-21-12-11. Genius! There was no way the chain could now get to the lower gears and I'd be happy with 50/21 for a few days.

I hadn't counted on the chain going up to the 23 when I hit a bump. The whole lot nearly seized due to the tension in the chain. I had to take off the wheel to release the chain and I limped back home.

I probably should have left the mech on the bike and selected the 23 with it.

Anyway the MTB to work was probably a better workout - ' hope chainreaction delivery is fast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement