Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Got myself a new bike mechanic, it's a chap I've known for many many years through a past life but for handiness I'd been using the LBS where I bought the bike who subsequently annoyed the piss out of me with his antics... Anyway, turns out my new headset (8 weeks on the bike) had little to ne grease on it, steerer was not on correctly. New BB (2 weeks on the bike) while fitted ok the cranks were loose. Front wheel that had just been straightened was square also dished. The rear mech was loose, which he had also removed as the hanger needed to be replaced. Essentially nearly every job I paid him to do was done wrong/badly. My rear axel is destroyed with worn cones due to them being left loose.
    What makes it worse was I liked the chap and had routinely dropped in for a cuppa on a Saturday morning. Now I just want to beat him to death with a torque wrench, which is ironic because it seems he clearly doesn't know how to use one.
    On the plus side the new mechanic knows me well and knows te standards I expect plus he's a proper enthusiast himself so all is well again.
    Sorry for the rant but I'm super annoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Got myself a new bike mechanic, it's a chap I've known for many many years through a past life but for handiness I'd been using the LBS where I bought the bike who subsequently annoyed the piss out of me with his antics... Anyway, turns out my new headset (8 weeks on the bike) had little to ne grease on it, steerer was not on correctly. New BB (2 weeks on the bike) while fitted ok the cranks were loose. Front wheel that had just been straightened was square also dished. The rear mech was loose, which he had also removed as the hanger needed to be replaced. Essentially nearly every job I paid him to do was done wrong/badly. My rear axel is destroyed with worn cones due to them being left loose.
    What makes it worse was I liked the chap and had routinely dropped in for a cuppa on a Saturday morning. Now I just want to beat him to death with a torque wrench, which is ironic because it seems he clearly doesn't know how to use one.
    On the plus side the new mechanic knows me well and knows te standards I expect plus he's a proper enthusiast himself so all is well again.
    Sorry for the rant but I'm super annoyed!
    Now go ride it like you stole it. Makes it all better

Luxman wrote: »
    Now go ride it like you stole it. Makes it all better

Getting on it in a few :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Pepijn89 wrote: »
    I knew a butcher with last name Baker. His shop's sign was "Baker, your butcher".

Imagine the opposite: "Butcher your baker"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Lumen wrote: »
    The term "push bicycle" differentiates one's superior modern two-wheeled laufmaschine from the rather old-fashioned four-wheeled celerifere.

It's not so much push-bicycle as push-bicyle.
    If anyone gets on one of these radio shows, they should constantly refer to them as "safety bicycles", and prognosticate on the wisdom of sharing lanes with omnibuses and taximeter cabriolets.

• Advertisement

Couple of examples. Note the mark on the stem as to where it was originally. The new headset was a different fitment and he thought this would be ok... The top bolt on the stem was doing nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

.....and virtually devoid of any spectators!

you obviously arn't watching that much of it, in the country yeah not so many fansv but plenty support in places in urban areas, not near the crowds we don't see at Qatar etc.

Although the number of people crossing in front of the race is quiet something never seen so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

crosstownk wrote: »
    It's a phrase used by people who encounter a 2% gradient and decide to get off the bike and push...........

Koutoubia....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Spent most of the evening in the gutter in mondello, savage cross wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

timeline_of_bicycle_design.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Pepijn89

Beat me to it buffalo! The '80s bike doesn't look too bad I think :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

lennymc wrote: »
    Spent most of the evening in the gutter in mondello, savage cross wind.
    Stage 3 of Tour of Turkey.
    Lotto Sudal team show the rest how to put it in the gutter.
    Class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Planet Money podcast:
    In this episode, we consider a world where everybody cheats, and where you can't win unless you game the regulators: Professional cycling.
    http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/04/27/475929464/episode-417-lance-armstrong-and-the-business-of-doping?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=planetmoney

(Repeat from 2012, but might have novel angle. Very good podcast in general.)

Feck sake... cycled to the gym this morning at 6.30, realised then I'd no wallet, grand I'll have to nip home and get it after my workout and then switch to the car because I won't have time to get home and then back on to work on the bike because it's the wrong direction.
    No wallet at home either, it was on my desk :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

d6e36bfdcbdbca1c2cbe68857f27b321.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Dublin bus driver charged with careless driving causing death of cyclist.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/dublin-bus-driver-charged-over-cyclist-s-death-1.2628117

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Strange looking bendy bike, seems to solve a problem that doesn't exist;

https://www.facebook.com/ecovolis/videos/1205497879470106/

smacl wrote: »
    Strange looking bendy bike, seems to solve a problem that doesn't exist;

https://www.facebook.com/ecovolis/videos/1205497879470106/

Weird. Looks like it was devised by a skier or ice skater!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Dopes who ride single speed bikes with no back brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've been invited to three separate communions on different weekends in May. It's gonna cost me money to to not cycle. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I've been invited to three separate communions on different weekends in May. It's gonna cost me money to to not cycle. :(

Don't go so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Head out on the bike instead.

These Communions get very expensive. Somebody also needs to tell me I'm too old to be out all night. Going to need a few hours sleep then plan on doing 100km this afternoon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Never been to one. Thank God for atheism ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

smacl wrote: »
    Never been to one. Thank God for atheism ;)

The last one I went too I protested that it was silly of me to go as I didn't believe. The irony that after upsetting most of my family by pointing out that the father of the child was not only an athiest but one of those annoying ones who ram down their lack of belief and points out the stupidity of religion to everyone who will listen was the most upset by my not going.

I caved, went, was the only one who knew the words, the father missed most of it because he was watching the Leinster game on his phone. The Godmother was too busy taking selfies of herself.

It is the last one I ever went to or will go to.

Don't go, if you have no interest you are only insulting the priest and those who are interested.

Somebody also needs to tell me I'm too old to be out all night. Going to need a few hours sleep then plan on doing 100km this afternoon

Maybe you should put a bed in that shed of yours (or leave a spare key under a flower pot)!!

went for a few pints last night and even though a little bit tired and emotional this morning after locking myself out of the house at 3am when letting the dog do his business and having to resort to sleeping in the shed until my neighbor with the spare key woke up

Still laughing at that post!!

Still laughing at that post!!

I slept on a sun lounger using an old curtain as a blanket! It really wasn't nice. Climbing over the wall with a 35kg dog on my shoulder wasn't easy either :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I slept on a sun lounger using an old curtain as a blanket! It really wasn't nice. Climbing over the wall with a 35kg dog on my shoulder wasn't easy either :o

hang on why are you climbing walls with a dog?

• Advertisement

manafana wrote: »
    hang on why are you climbing walls with a dog?

It's in the 'today I did something to my bike thread' I'd had a couple of pints, arrived home and got into bed. 3am or so the dog barks so I got up, got dressed and brought him out to do his business (he's old and on new medication which is messing with his bowels). Door closed behind me and I ended up locked out of the house. So had to climb over the back wall with said dog, I had to kip in the shed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement