Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any opinions if this is ok?

Options
  • 01-09-2015 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

Last year I buried my tv power supply cable into the living room wall. I have just added an android box to my set up but it needs a power supply. At present its draped over the wall surface.

At the moment, I have a joint in the tv power cable, at the back of the tv, which is connected to the buried cable in the wall (if you know what I mean). Its standard tv power cable, not anything special.

Would it be ok to add the android box cable to the joint or would it be at risk of overloading the connected buried cable?

Apologies if this is against forum rules, I have check and dont see anything about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Last year I buried my tv power supply cable into the living room wall. I have just added an android box to my set up but it needs a power supply. At present its draped over the wall surface.

At the moment, I have a joint in the tv power cable, at the back of the tv, which is connected to the buried cable in the wall (if you know what I mean). Its standard tv power cable, not anything special.

Would it be ok to add the android box cable to the joint or would it be at risk of overloading the connected buried cable?

Apologies if this is against forum rules, I have check and dont see anything about this.

The android box would draw very little power so it will not overload the mains circuit.. if that's what you are talking about?
    What do you mean standard TV power cable? All sockets in the house use the same type of cable. Unless you are referring to the coax cable for the tv signal as 'standard TV power cable '?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Hold on the brakes - does the TV have a PSU, like the ones laptops have? Anything like this:

Sony-19.5V-4.4A-6.5-4.4mm.jpg

Are you talking about this, by any chance? You "buried" the little black box in the wall, the one with a cable going to the socket and another one going to the TV?

If that is the case no, it's most definitely not ok to "split" the cable exiting it and trying to power an android box from it - most likely, the voltage will be too high (they usually run between 15 and 19v) and might "fry" the device.

If it's a standard 220V mains cable, then no problem - make sure the connectors are well insulated and the wires are held tightly in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Thanks for the opinions folks. What I was trying to say was I have an ordinary tv power cable buried in the wall. One that terminates in an 8 plug if you know what I mean. I had a chat with an electrical wholesaler and I ended up terminating it into a twin plug with RCD. Its surface mounted. Now the tv and the android box just plug into it normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Are you saying you have a cable like this buried in your wall?

Patrick-Barkhams-tiny-TV--008.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Can you post a picture? It's a bit hard to visualize from your description. It's the "buried in the wall" bit I don't get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Are you saying you have a cable like this buried in your wall?

Patrick-Barkhams-tiny-TV--008.jpg

Yep. Its a long cable like that buried into the wall, and where it comes out, I have now fitted a surface mounted, twin RCD socket. Its designed for the tv only I guess, but the android box takes feck all power so it should be ok.

The other end of it is plugged into a standard 3pin plug with an RCD adapter to be sure to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

So, technically speaking, you just have what is effectively an extension cord - that for some reason goes through a wall...it is not specifically a "TV cable", you can plug anything into it as long as the total draw is lower than the cable+sockets are rated for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

What you have OP is dangerous, you now have a socket which anything can be plugged into....but it has no earth :eek:

Also the flex is only designed for short runs and not suitable for putting into a wall. It is also probably not capable of carrying more than a few amps.

I expect many would argue that you don't intend plugging anything else into the outlet.

However to answer your initial question "Any opinions if this is OK?" The answer is no.

The correct thing to do is to get a double socket installed, probably just a spur from the existing socket circuit using 2.5mm^2 T&E.

Advertisement