Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

honey refractrometer

• 01-09-2015 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

can any person recommend a reliable fractrometor at a price below 100 euro. I purchased a micky mouse 1 on ebay it will work on wine no problem but put honey on and no definitive line could be read.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Probably better asking on the Irish Beekeepers page on Facebook. This forum hasn't really taken off. Which is a pity as Facebook is dreadful as a forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Effects wrote: »
    Probably better asking on the Irish Beekeepers page on Facebook. This forum hasn't really taken off. Which is a pity as Facebook is dreadful as a forum.

Although, if they give you some good advice, maybe you could let us know over here too... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

I have a cheap and cheerful one I bought on ebay ATC 90
    You need dioptric oil to check that it is right because the moisture level starts at 12% moisture up. Its fine for honey because that is usually from 17 upwards. If you got one with the scale starting at 0 you could use distilled water . ie out of a dehumidifier in the honey house for it

The screw loosens over time ,thence the reason for rechecking it before use

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Joe Brennan

Thank you Solargain

could calibrate mine no problem using distilled water but when I put honey on I get a very blurred line I then used some red wine on it & got a very sharp blue line. I have come to the conclusion that it is not capable of measuring honey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Thank you Solargain

could calibrate mine no problem using distilled water but when I put honey on I get a very blurred line I then used some red wine on it & got a very sharp blue line. I have come to the conclusion that it is not capable of measuring honey

Sometimes refractomoters won't give a clear defined line. Check it with milk, full fat should be around 12

• Advertisement

What range is in on the moisture or the brix scale

solargain wrote: »
    What range is in on the moisture or the brix scale
    From 0 -35 on the scale. I borrowed a fellow club member's meter & it works perfect, but unfortuantly no name or model number on it so I can not get an identical bit of kit. But thank you for your help.

If its 0-35 on the brix scale its not suitable for honey

for future reference what is the proper scale it should have

The one I have has a brix scale of 58 - 90 and % moisture 12 - 27 so it cannot be calibrated/ checked with distilled water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Knowall Macduff

I got mine from from irish bee supplies Ardee €60, it is a honey refractometer with a moisture scale on it. I also have one for wine making it cannot measure honey.

Advertisement