Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours dog killed some of our chickens for the second time-what to do?

• 01-09-2015 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Title says it all really
    The neighbours husky escaped and got in the first time and killed 3 of our pure breed chickens. I came home and the dog had a stand off with me. The neighbour heard my shouts and got him. I was upset but he was very apologetic and said he would put up electric fence etc. Partner said to keep the peace so we let it go.

Literally came home yesterday to the same scene again. Our garden is secure, the gate was closed and have an electric fence running around the side at the ditch then fence. He must have jumped it i dunno but I'm furious now. Neighbour is away and will be home Wed/Thurs (his relations/other neighbours) informed me.

I'm an animal lover and hate being put in this scenario but something needs to be done. Has any one any advice or what is a reasonable answer to deal with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

very quiet? I think its time to stop worrying about keeping the peace and get on to the dog warden and inform him that there's a dangerous dog that need to be dealt with. hope it gets sorted for you, regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

minterno wrote: »
    very quiet? I think its time to stop worrying about keeping the peace and get on to the dog warden and inform him that there's a dangerous dog that need to be dealt with. hope it gets sorted for you, regards

Yeah I'd agree tbh. If they were sheep and not chicken would you have hesitated to call the warden OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

sillyruby wrote: »
    Title says it all really
    The neighbours husky escaped and got in the first time and killed 3 of our pure breed chickens. I came home and the dog had a stand off with me. The neighbour heard my shouts and got him. I was upset but he was very apologetic and said he would put up electric fence etc. Partner said to keep the peace so we let it go.

Literally came home yesterday to the same scene again. Our garden is secure, the gate was closed and have an electric fence running around the side at the ditch then fence. He must have jumped it i dunno but I'm furious now. Neighbour is away and will be home Wed/Thurs (his relations/other neighbours) informed me.

I'm an animal lover and hate being put in this scenario but something needs to be done. Has any one any advice or what is a reasonable answer to deal with this?

I'd have been scared stiff if that happened to me. Call the dog warden or something a lot worse may happen. The onus is on the owner of the dog to be keeping the peace, not you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

And make sure you're well compensated for your loss. I know that money is probably the last thing on your mind, but some people only take notice when it hits them in the wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I'm in agreement with the posters above me.

Report the dog to the local warden as he's uncontrolled, and have the neighbours pay up for your loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I was wondering what your neighbours have said - as hopefully they should be back now?

Are you chickens loose in your garden? I'm just wondering if this second time (I know you saw it the first time) it was defo the dog as foxes will take/kill chickens (and our ducks) during the day... actually - saw a mink take one of the ducks too once...

Sorry, not to take away from you losing the chickens as it's really horrid when it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Huskies are incredible animals, highly intelligent and amazing athletes.

Honestly unless the owners are going to invest alot of time and even money, it's not going to end well for your chickens.

Siberian Huskies are known to clear 6 foot walls, clear 7 foot high fencing, dig, avoid electric fences, problem solving intelligence.

I make them sound like super dogs or something ☺

But they are not your average dog, pack animals, that are very hard to train, with a very high prey drive.

This dog doesn't know it's doing wrong killing your chickens, its his instinct from generations of breeding.

Surprised to hear the dog had a standoff with you, huskies are usually very good with people, but with food being involved it's actually normal for them to defend themselves and try and keep dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Is your relationship with the neighbour such that you can talk to them? Ask them for the price of 'replacement' chickens and that the dog be kept secured from now on?

Worth a shot to try and settle it amicably, I would say. But that depends on your neighbour and your relationship with them as to whether that is even an option.

Seconding that it could also be something else, we had dogs and foxes go after the chickens when I was small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

thierry14 wrote: »

Honestly unless the owners are going to invest alot of time and even money, it's not going to end well for your chickens.

Siberian Huskies are known to clear 6 foot walls, clear 7 foot high fencing, dig, avoid electric fences, problem solving intelligence.

But they are not your average dog, pack animals, that are very hard to train, with a very high prey drive.

This dog doesn't know it's doing wrong killing your chickens, its his instinct from generations of breeding.

Surprised to hear the dog had a standoff with you, huskies are usually very good with people, but with food being involved it's actually normal for them to defend themselves and try and keep dinner.

That just means that the neighbour has to build a better fence. IDK where the OP lives but if it's anywhere rural and the dog can get out then it may only be a matter of time before a farmer shows up at the neighbour's house with the corpse of the dog and a bill for dead sheep, or if it's urban it could be a motorist with the corpse and a bill for repairs to their car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

kylith wrote: »
    That just means that the neighbour has to build a better fence. IDK where the OP lives but if it's anywhere rural and the dog can get out then it may only be a matter of time before a farmer shows up at the neighbour's house with the corpse of the dog and a bill for dead sheep, or if it's urban it could be a motorist with the corpse and a bill for repairs to their car.
    Huskies would need a fully fenced in with fence roof and concrete floor for that to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Are the chickens loose in the garden? Did they get the dog before or after you got your chickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

PucaMama wrote: »
    Are the chickens loose in the garden? Did they get the dog before or after you got your chickens

What difference does it make when the OP started to have chickens on their property?

Some posters here seem to be suggesting that the dog owner is not at fault because of the characteristics of the huskie.
    It is the owner's responsibility to do what ever it takes to keep the dog that they chose to own contained on their property - even if that means roofing the garden - whatever it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It is the owner's responsibility to do what ever it takes to keep the dog that they chose to own contained on their property - even if that means roofing the garden - whatever it takes.

This is all that matters. Many people responsibly keep dogs with never a problem because they care for them as they should.

What difference does it make when the OP started to have chickens on their property?

Some posters here seem to be suggesting that the dog owner is not at fault because of the characteristics of the huskie.

and the owner of the chickens should also have the responsibility to keep them fenced in and not running free when they know a high prey drive dog lives next door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

and the owner of the chickens should also have the responsibility to keep them fenced in and not running free when they know a high prey drive dog lives next door

So what you're saying is neighbours shouldn't be allowed to have free range chickens because it's not fair to the prey driven dog next door:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Their responsibility is to ensure the chickens remain on their property, not to make up for the neighbors failing to do the same with their animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Are you for real?! The owner of the dog is 100% at fault. The dog has gotten into the OP's garden more than once and killed their chickens. As I said earlier if it was sheep/livestock the dog would be dead. By your reckoning every farmer who's had sheep killed by dogs are at fault for not keeping the sheep locked up and the dogs out?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The chicken owners do have them securely contained on their property.
    If the chickens were wandering into their neighbour's property that would be a different story.

• Advertisement

im not saying its fair, im saying its something that should be done. protect the chickens more.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

From reading the OP's post it seems like it only happened the once and the owners of the dog were fully apologetic and took remedies to correct the mistake. Now, the owners of the dog are away, so whomever was left in charge of the husky may not have been made aware of the extra measures in place to contain the dog and therefore it escaped.

It's terrible for the OP to lose their animals for a second time but perhaps having another word when the owners return may be best thing. You say you are an animal lover so I'd imagine the alternative would be something that you wouldn't consider lightly. Clearly whatever plans they had in place failed in this instance and they owe you for the cost of those chickens. Hopefully that will solve the problem once and for all and if not.....then you have to do what you need to do to protect your animals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The question should also be asked, what the hell are people doing owning a husky if they can't give it proper exercise and time.
    Having a dog like a husky locked up in a cage is a waste of a dog.
    FWIW I have chickens and a dog but the dog isn't allowed to roam or attack chickens.
    Its the dog owners fault 100% and if they cannot contain or manage the dog then its their own baby.
    I'd politely demand that they compensate you for the chickens and warn them that they must contain the dog better, no matter who is minding the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭roadrunner16

thierry14 wrote: »

Well if they aren't willing to fork out for the facilities for the dog then they would need to get rid of the dog, If the dog dosent know better the owner should, especially after an incident.

Have they had the dogs long OP? I'm not making excuses for them, it's entirely the owners fault that this has happened and I'm so sorry for the loss of your hens. However, a lot of people seem to have taken on huskies without putting any consideration into the work involved in them. They just seemed to become fashionable. Now my dog is only part husky and smaller than a husky too and she can clear a six foot fence. I'll hold my hands up and say when we rescued her we had no clue about this 'trait'. In the first six months she escaped from my parents garden 3 times, was gone for hours and got up to god knows what. In the last two years though she has not escaped once. This involved building the fencing up AND down into the ground. They are not a dog that can be left all day in the garden unattended because they do tend to find a way out. Just look at any rescue site and you're sure to find a few huskies that have been found wandering. It really is a case of trial and error and from your first post it sounds like the owners may have made some effort to improve things and now these people minding them failed to keep up those measures or that greater measures are needed. If they care for their dogs they should be able to find a suitable way to contain them. If not... Call the warden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Disagree entirely.dog owner keeps dog on own property and has a responsibility to contain it.had the chickens wandered through the fence and been killed by the resident dog,I guess there would have been no comeback for the chicken owner.
    Dog should not have been there,whether they keep chickens,sheep or toddlers.
    If the dog is on there property killing livestock of any sort it's lucky not to be shot,especially not on a second occasion,and especially not if chicken owner had to have a stand of with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Talk to the neighbour again before reporting them OP. I get yes the dog came onto your property and eat the chickens, but I wouldn't say this is a savage attack it is just animal instinct... I would not be reporting the dog as a monster or anything. Its like a cat chasing a mouse.

As someone said the neighbours were away so whoever was looking after the dog didn't do a great job. Talk to your neighbours when they get back. Ask them maybe to replace your chickens and try and come to some resolve with them.

If it continues then well really it is up to you what you do, you can be lets say what in my mind would be go a bit drastic and report the dog to the warden, and the dog might be taking off which could lead to him either being rehomed or put down perhaps.

Or two keep the chickens locked in, so that if the dog does come back onto the land they are enclosed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Its like a cat chasing a mouse.

If you had pet mice and the neighbour's cat came in your house and ate them you'd be ok with that?

Well I wouldn't shot the cat because of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

As the owner of two huskies, I feel for the dog. They're a highly intelligent breed, very trainable but as a few have said... are expert escape artists.

Couple that with the high prey drive - and it's a recipe for disaster, in your case.

The neighbours need to properly contain, and care for their dog. You need to get the warden involved. And be compensated for your loss!

Poor dog. Poor you.

Stupid irresponsible owners!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Hooked wrote: »
    As the owner of two huskies, I feel for the dog. They're a highly intelligent breed, very trainable but as a few have said... are expert escape artists.

Couple that with the high prey drive - and it's a recipe for disaster, in your case.

The neighbours need to properly contain, and care for their dog. You need to get the warden involved. And be compensated for your loss!

Poor dog. Poor you.

Stupid irresponsible owners!!!

the warden mightn't take the dog but its best to make them aware of a dangerous dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I hate tgecway huskies are so fashionable, they are a breed that need so much work and activity, without both of which they can be dangerous which is so sad cause they are beautiful dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

ganmo wrote: »
    the warden mightn't take the dog but its best to make them aware of a dangerous dog

The warden needs to be involved to give the owner a talking to! The dog, ironically is innocent in all of this. It's his owners that are at fault.

As for huskies being dangerous... Far far from it. A high prey drive and want to kill chickens does not equate to a dangerous dog.

It's all down to the owners irresponsibility.

Maddens me.

They're not at all as fashionable as they used to be. Trust me! 4 years ago we saw one every night, various owners and locations.

Nowadays, we're the only ones who walk our route. People now know what's involved in owning one and they're few and far between.

A gem of a dog in the right hands

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd be pretty sure that ganmo is not referring to huskies as being dangerous dogs, rather the law is there (Control of Dogs Act 1986) for any dogs that attack humans or livestock to be officially named as "dangerous dogs", which at the discretion of the judge are subject to a number of potential actions to be taken against them/their owners, including compensation for stock lost and damage done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Milly33 wrote:
    Or two keep the chickens locked in, so that if the dog does come back onto the land they are enclosed...

Ridiculous suggestion!

OP should lock his animals up because the owner of the dog next door cannot contain it? Why should OPs animals suffer!

• Advertisement

It isn't it is keeping the alive for the time being... if the dog looses interest then more than likely he wont come back.. have had it happen lots of times with neighbours dogs coming into the house and chasing the chickens..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Talk to your neighbour before going to warden. I have a dog who is on a radio controlled collar on 1 acre, however he has got out on occasion either the battery been low in collar or a power cut.

I would advise you to keep your chickens in an enclosure where nothing can get in and they can't get out. It is a fact that sooner or later a Mr. Fox will wipe out your chickens completely if they are out loose.

I do feel your pain it is maddening and horrible when it happens.

Milly33 wrote:
    It isn't it is keeping the alive for the time being... if the dog looses interest then more than likely he wont come back.. have had it happen lots of times with neighbours dogs coming into the house and chasing the chickens..

I'd sooner shoot the dog before I'd lock up my animals on my property. Just because they are chickens I suppose. If they were sheep or calfs would you expect a farmer to lock em all up untill the dog loses interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Milly33 wrote: »

Why on earth would the dog lose interest?
    It doesn't matter if it's the chasing he's interesting in,or the munching on the chickens.
    Either way,if he can come back,he will.
    Not blaming the dog as such,and maybe it is following it's instincts,but it has no right to be unsupervised outside of it's own garden.
    Owner is at fault,and should either contain the dog adequately or rehome it.
    (Especially after a previous incident)
    I would talk to the owner,demand financial compensation,and have an input into whatever containment/fencing of the dog goes on.
    First time was maybe a mistake on the part of the owner,second time is downright negligent.
    Third time I'd want the dog put down(and the owner as well)
    Keep a lot of poultry myself,and also a good few dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sillyruby

Thanks for all your replies. the incident happened Monday and by yesterday the neighbour still had not come down to apologise or anything so we went up. He said he's put in one of those electric wire/fence things where the dog wears the collar and gets shocked if he tried to go past the boundaries and has offered to replace the hens which we are taking him up on (we are to tell him which we want). We clearly explained once is an accident twice isn't (both of these incidences happened within 2 months) third time please god it won't happen the dog has to go.

For those who were questioning our property has a solid 6ft wooden fence around half of it and the rest its ditch but we have wired fence infront of it AND electric fence infront of that again. I would think we have made the effort to carefully secure our chickens.

I do feel sorry for the husky but both times I have come home to the husky in my garden chicken in mouth it can't be denied. I was him no doubt. Hopefully it won't happen again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sorry but an electrical fence is among the worst possible "solutions" that could be put in place; not only are they not reliable at best but are based on all the wrong principles for training as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

It's been posted to death here that the shock collar fencing is next to useless at containing a determined dog.
    He lives next door. He can hear your delicious chickens.
    He can smell your delicious chickens.
    Just one second of pain and he can TASTE your delicious chickens.

Damage is done. Just one second of pain and he can go back to boring old garden with no delicious chickens.
    Naaaah :rolleyes:

Tell your neighbour to either build a real fence that works and does not damage the dog or to find him a home with a responsible owner.

PucaMama wrote:

Doesn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

It sounds like the guy hasn't had dogs before let alone a large breed. I am wary of people with "popular" breeds as often they are purely aesthetic and they have not got a clue what the dog is capable of.

What Shasha said. This will NOT stop a husky! So you can wait for it to fail (and it will fail), or you can go back to your neighbour and tell him that after some research you are not happy with these measures and more needs to be done or you'll have to get the warden involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Dog needs to be put down, end of story. If it was sheep the farmer would be coming with a gun. You need to be compensated for the loss of your property. Last weekend, myself and the neighbour were painting our semi-d houses when we heard a dog yelping. Quickly we saw that it was being attacked at the front door with the owner wedged against the door trying to pull her dog off by the lead, the bigger dog had him clamped by the throat. My neighbour managed to get the dog to release by choking him on his collar. The owner came back from a fishing trip shortly after. It was not the first time the dog got out and not the first time it had attacked another animal, neither attacks resulted in death. The owner brought the dog to be put down, and paid for the other dogs vet fees. The dog was ok, collar saved him. Point is, the owner took responsibility. Your neighbour could not give a crap, and therefore report him, and seek damages. Screw him, he's had his chances.

Angry bird wrote:
    Dog needs to be put down, end of story. If it was sheep the farmer would be coming with a gun. You need to be compensated for the loss of your property. Last weekend, myself and the neighbour were painting our semi-d houses when we heard a dog yelping. Quickly we saw that it was being attacked at the front door with the owner wedged against the door trying to pull her dog off by the lead, the bigger dog had him clamped by the throat. My neighbour managed to get the dog to release by choking him on his collar. The owner came back from a fishing trip shortly after. It was not the first time the dog got out and not the first time it had attacked another animal, neither attacks resulted in death. The owner brought the dog to be put down, and paid for the other dogs vet fees. The dog was ok, collar saved him. Point is, the owner took responsibility. Your neighbour could not give a crap, and therefore report him, and seek damages. Screw him, he's had his chances.

The dog doesn't need to be put down, it needs a responsible owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Angry bird wrote: »

Agreed on your last line only.
    A dog should never be punished with murder for the crimes of an irresponsible owner.
    The problem can be resolved simply by involving the dog warden and giving the owner a chance to responsibly rehome the dog to someone who understands the breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

ComfortKid wrote: »
    The dog doesn't need to be put down, it needs a responsible owner.

If it killed your animals you'd be singing a different tune. The animal has a taste for blood now, next time could be a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

This is it precisely.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement