Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours dog killed some of our chickens for the second time-what to do?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Angry bird wrote: »
    If it killed your animals you'd be singing a different tune. The animal has a taste for blood now, next time could be a child.

Awful lot of over sensitive people in this thread,

For gods sake every dog has instinct to kill get over it. I have seen so many people attempt to keep chickens in housing areas and rural housing areas and it always ends in tears.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Angry bird wrote:
    If it killed your animals you'd be singing a different tune. The animal has a taste for blood now, next time could be a child.

Oh jesus, wont someone think of the children!

This taste for blood thing is rubbish. I have had lurchers that kill rabbits yet there the most child friendly dogs you could have. My jack Russell kills rats, does that mean he has the taste for blood and will move on to kids next?

The dog needs a responsible owner who can keep it secure in its property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Awful lot of over sensitive people in this thread,

For gods sake every dog has instinct to kill get over it. I have seen so many people attempt to keep chickens in housing areas and rural housing areas and it always ends in tears.

This is true but it is the second time with the same animal and the neighbour is making vague promises that amounts to jack. The dog will come, a third, fourth, fifth time etc. The OP has fences up and will probably try to strengthen them. Just because its a cute looking dog doesn't mean ah sure that's grand, happens all the time in the country, quit fussing etc. A dog that kills another animal needs be put down, hardly sensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

If it were a fox it just bad luck same as a lamb being taken. However the dog owner is responsible at all times for the dog and is liable for any damage it does.

Your neighbour should pay you for the chickens and either get rid of the dog or secure it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Oh jesus, wont someone think of the children!

This taste for blood thing is rubbish. I have had lurchers that kill rabbits yet there the most child friendly dogs you could have. My jack Russell kills rats, does that mean he has the taste for blood and will move on to kids next?

The dog needs a responsible owner who can keep it secure in its property.

Now you're just talking out your arse. We disagree, whatever.

Angry bird wrote:

No. I'm simply pointing out that your claim of a dog with "a taste for blood" will kill a child.

Absolute nonsense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Angry bird,
    Do not address other posters in such a disrespectful way.
    Do not post in this thread again.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Put a dog down over chickens. Ridiculous. And then to laugh at the suggestion of securing them on your property against predators. They are prey animals. If they are loose in your garden something will get them eventually. If not the dog, a fox or a cat. Are you going to kill those too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

A cat won't kill an adult hen. A fox will in fairness. And in an urban are you are powerless against this. In the country you'd trap or shoot the fox. But no way should someone be deprived of keeping chickens because of a neighbours dog. And the law states so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

well said PucaMama I am surprised that people forgot animals are animals..Im sorry it is of course a shame that the dog killed the chickens but its not like he is a blood thirsty dog that will terrorise all the neighbours and eat their children.. Its a dog, its a cat, its a chicken it happens....

And yes regards putting the hens in a avery or something it is a solution does the op want them dead or alive.. A dogs do loose interest after a while, as stated we kept chickens and the neighbours dog would come in and chase them, and yes I know tis hard to believe he did kill them!! But soon he forgot they were there

Milly33 wrote:
    well said PucaMama I am surprised that people forgot animals are animals..Im sorry it is of course a shame that the dog killed the chickens but its not like he is a blood thirsty dog that will terrorise all the neighbours and eat their children.. Its a dog, its a cat, its a chicken it happens....

Milly33 wrote:
    And yes regards putting the hens in a avery or something it is a solution does the op want them dead or alive.. A dogs do loose interest after a while, as stated we kept chickens and the neighbours dog would come in and chase them, and yes I know tis hard to believe he did kill them!! But soon he forgot they were there

A stupid analogy, but..

Theres a child molester living next door. He keeps entering my property trying to snatch my kids. Should i lock up my children because hey, hes a child molester and thats what they do..

The dog owner is responsible here no matter what instinct the dog has, its up to the owner to contain the dog. This is the law.

A stupid analogy, but..

Theres a child molester living next door. He keeps entering my property trying to snatch my kids. Should i lock up my children because hey, hes a child molester and thats what they do..

The dog owner is responsible here no matter what instinct the dog has, its up to the owner to contain the dog. This is the law.

A stupid analogy is right because the child molester knows what he does is wrong

Ok.

If the dog was trained properly he would know what he is doing is wrong! More importantly the dog should be contained so he cant get near the OPs property in the first place..

Should all farmers lock up there sheep because some dogs often kill them? No! The farmer will kill the dog and give the dog owner the bill for the dead livestock and rightly so

(I dont think the dog should be killed btw, just contained or given to a capable owner)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

If you want to keep chickens safely you have to keep them in some kind of chicken run. If not they are prone to attacks from dogs, foxes typically, minks etc.

I do agree that the dog owner needs to secure him far better than he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

PucaMama wrote: »
    A stupid analogy is right because the child molester knows what he does is wrong

And so hopefully does the dogs owner.

• Advertisement

You won't train a dogs prey drive out of it you can only redirect it.

I have rabbits. I also have dogs one of which is a terrier. No amount of training would stop her killing the rabbit if they came into contact.

If you want to keep chickens safely you have to keep them in some kind of chicken run. If not they are prone to attacks from dogs, foxes typically, minks etc.

But none of these animals have been a problem for the OP so it's irrelevant.

A child molester dear lord why even mention something like that..

Over reacting there just a little bit.. of course the owner of the dog is responsible for the dog and he should be reprimanded not the dog....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The letter of the law is the dog warden can take the killer dog to the pound where following a court case the dog can be put down.

The least the dog owner should do is surrender the dog to someone who might be able to get someone to take it. But I don't think he realises how much **** he could be in

The arguments about going for children are poppy cock...but the dog will probably attack every chicken it sees

ganmo wrote: »
    The letter of the law is the dog warden can take the killer dog to the pound where following a court case the dog can be put down.

The least the dog owner should do is surrender the dog to someone who might be able to get someone to take it. But I don't think he realises how much **** he could be in

The arguments about going for children are poppy cock...but the dog will probably attack every chicken it sees

theres plenty of dogs that kill animals every day. i got a warning before for disagreeing with a person who lets their "rescued" lurchers maul squirrels. are they all going to be killed? what about the terriers used to kill rats?

• Advertisement

but sure rats aren't animals!! or wait you'll get sure that's completely different

This is about a dog entering the neighbours property. And also killing the neighbours pets.

Why do ye two keep draging it off topic with nonsense about instinct and now talking about rats?

This is about a dog entering the neighbours property. And also killing the neighbours pets.

Why do ye two keep draging it off topic with nonsense about instinct and now talking about rats?

because the op is so against fencing in his chickens?? its ridiculous...these are prey animals so treat them like they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Its a sensitive situation, the op and neighbour need to sit down and debate the matter.

I'd sooner shoot the dog before I'd lock up my animals on my property. Just because they are chickens I suppose. If they were sheep or calfs would you expect a farmer to lock em all up untill the dog loses interest?

thats a real sensible attitude right there. sure chicken coops are no use yeah? because its your garden? what do you do about foxes and cats? shoot them too? or is it just dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Chickens aside.

I wouldn't accept a dog of that size trespassing on my property especially if I had small children.

The whole "dogs hunt, get over it" is incredibly naive.

PucaMama wrote:
    because the op is so against fencing in his chickens?? its ridiculous...these are prey animals so treat them like they are.

Are you actually serious? Why is the neighbour so against fencing in his dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Their needs be no debate. Even if the chickens are pole dancing in front of the dog it is still the dog owners responsibility to keep their dog under control and not let it enter another persons property. The op has no culpability here and is actually being nicer than most people would be in the circumstances.
    Imagine the op was a farmer who had cows,sheep and chickens and he came home to find a dog with one of his chickens in its mouth. Bye bye dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Chickens pole dancing in front of the dog could be turning on the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

But doesn't op already have a 6 foot high wooden fence + electric fencing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Thread is ridiculous now. Comparing dogs to child molesters??

OP has enough heard enough opinions on the subject now to make a decision. Everything else is just nonsense

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    But doesn't op already have a 6 foot high wooden fence + electric fencing?

Doesn't appear to have a chicken coop tho

PucaMama wrote:
    thats a real sensible attitude right there. sure chicken coops are no use yeah? because its your garden? what do you do about foxes and cats? shoot them too? or is it just dogs?

Again you are waffling on. Does the OP have a problem with foxs or cats?No!

PucaMama wrote:
    Doesn't appear to have a chicken coop tho

Is it the law to have a chicken coop?

Is it the law to contain your dog?

I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'm out.

That there is the best post by far. So simple,so true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Dog needs to be put down, end of story.

I suppose every cat would have to be put down for killing mice too.

Probably the stupidest most unthought out post I have ever seen on boards.

Uncaring disgusting and despicable.

The op has approached this in the right way. He has TALKED and DISCUSSED the matter in a grown up and respectable way.

Some posters seem to have issues way beyond normal and explains why there are so many neighbour disputes over issues that could easily be sorted through normal adult respectful discussion.

I'm out.

since when did we need the law to teach common sense? i wouldnt keep chickens without a coop would you?

ken wrote: »
    That there is the best post by far. So simple,so true.

No but it's common sense to have a coop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Predators killing livestock get shot.

So yes, if its a fox, or a cat, or a husky...

:confused:

• Advertisement

PucaMama wrote:
    since when did we need the law to teach common sense? i wouldnt keep chickens without a coop would you?

Would it not be common sense to keep your dog on your property too?

Yes, if I had chickens I would use a coop, but that's irrelevant.

I'm finished with this thread now.

Would it not be common sense to keep your dog on your property too?

Yes, if I had chickens I would use a coop, but that's irrelevant.

I'm finished with this thread now.

No you just said it, it is common sense to have a coop, nobody here has said the dog owner is not responsible for keeping his dog in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

If your dog worries livestock then you are guilty of a criminal offence as well as liable to be sued. I don't know if this would be applied to chickens. I know it has been applied to cattle.

Dog killing chickens is normal dog behaviour unless they've been trained not to. It doesn't indicate the dog is more dangerous than any other dog of that size. The stand off with you is a lot more concerning.

Obviously your neighbour is responsible. However they are accepting responsibility and taking steps to fix things. If you go to the dog warden then maybe it would result in the dog being put down. That would make them hate you. I would only use that as a last resort it wouldn't be nice to be hated by your next door neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Put a dog down over chickens. Ridiculous. And then to laugh at the suggestion of securing them on your property against predators. They are prey animals. If they are loose in your garden something will get them eventually. If not the dog, a fox or a cat. Are you going to kill those too?
    Cats don't generally kill chickens. And foxes get in at night, usually chickens are secured in a coop at night.
    My in-laws have had similar problems with neighbouring dog owners not controlling their dogs, some responded responsibly after a hen was killed, others were like 'Oh dogs will be dogs'.

Cats don't generally kill chickens. And foxes get in at night, usually chickens are secured in a coop at night.
    My in-laws have had similar problems with neighbouring dog owners not controlling their dogs, some responded responsibly after a hen was killed, others were like 'Oh dogs will be dogs'.

Foxes kill in the daytime as well I know from past experience.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay folks,
    If I don't close this thread now, there are a number of posters who are going to end up with cards or bans. Indeed, it is all I can do not to action some of you regardless.
    It's been quite some time since I've seen such mentalist posting on this forum from some posters.
    My mind is utterly boggled.
    DBB

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement