Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating Kodi

Options
  • 01-09-2015 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently using Kodi 14.2, having migrated a few weeks ago from Windows Media Centre. I've been alerted within Kodi that an updated version is now available (though the notice has since disappeared & not returned). I'm wondering what's involved in updating, as in, will it have to be a fresh install thus needing to reinstall my media directories, plugins etc? Or can I update over the existing install, retaining all my settings & plugins?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Just install it on top directly and it will keep your settings, addons etc. But I would wait to until 15.2 is out which is now in Release Candidate so shouldn't be more than a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just install it on top directly and it will keep your settings, addons etc. But I would wait to until 15.2 is out which is now in Release Candidate so shouldn't be more than a few weeks.

Cheers Peter, I'll hold off for 15.2 :) Grand re an on-top install, hopefully it goes smooth enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Always always back up your setup before doing an update so that I case anything goes wrong it is easy to get back to where you were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

tommycahir wrote: »
    Always always back up your setup before doing an update so that I case anything goes wrong it is easy to get back to where you were

As a complete newb to Kodi, how do you mean exactly? Can I backup settings/config is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Myrddin wrote: »
    As a complete newb to Kodi, how do you mean exactly? Can I backup settings/config is it?

Yes basically backing up your entire kodi configuration, here are a couple of blog articles on how to do it

http://kodicommunity.com/how-to-backup-or-restore-your-kodi-configuration/

http://kodicommunity.com/openelec-tips-creatingtransferring-restoring-backups/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

You can set it to auto update if you are using Openelec, I've that set on my Pi2 an it works great, no need to reconfigure anything.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Supercell wrote: »
    You can set it to auto update if you are using Openelec, I've that set on my Pi2 an it works great, no need to reconfigure anything.

You mean auto update for addons or do you mean for OpenELEC?OpenELEC will auto update as long as it's not a major revision(as in OE 5 to 6).If it's a major revision you need to do it manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If you install Kodi from the Google Play Store, would it update automatically as most other apps do?

If you install Kodi from the Google Play Store, would it update automatically as most other apps do?

I don't really use Android,but yes AFAIK it will update like other apps from the app store,you shouldn't lose your setup though as it installs over the previous build.So it keeps your setup intact,as long as the skin and addons are compatible with the new release.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

bazzz wrote: »
    I don't really use Android,but yes AFAIK it will update like other apps from the app store,you shouldn't lose your setup though as it installs over the previous build.So it keeps your setup intact,as long as the skin and addons are compatible with the new release.

I'll give that a go and see how I get on. Typically I've just updated manually once a new release seems ok

• Advertisement

I'll give that a go and see how I get on. Typically I've just updated manually once a new release seems ok

Don't forget if you are worried about it cocking up...You can just keep a copy of the Userdata Folder & Addon folders on an external HDD/Stick.Then you can more or less restore that(your current setup) to any box / build/version of Kodi,if you ever need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Myrddin wrote:
    I'm currently using Kodi 14.2, having migrated a few weeks ago from Windows Media Centre. I've been alerted within Kodi that an updated version is now available (though the notice has since disappeared & not returned). I'm wondering what's involved in updating, as in, will it have to be a fresh install thus needing to reinstall my media directories, plugins etc? Or can I update over the existing install, retaining all my settings & plugins?

Keep onto 14.2 for now .do you have a build on your kodi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

15.2 Stable is released ;)

http://kodi.tv/download/

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

Hi.
    I have v 14.2 on my M8 box. When trying to upgrade to 15.2 via both the apk file + Play store I get the message that this version is already on the device and do I want to uninstall?
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Nialler73 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I have v 14.2 on my M8 box. When trying to upgrade to 15.2 via both the apk file + Play store I get the message that this version is already on the device and do I want to uninstall?
    Any ideas?

When you open Kodi (14.2), do you get a screen popup saynig that there is an update available ? Check system settings / version within Kodi to confirm you are actually on 14.2 ?

Hi
    When I check version in Kodi settings it says I have 14.2 installed. Very strange...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Nialler73 wrote: »
    Hi
    When I check version in Kodi settings it says I have 14.2 installed. Very strange...
    And do you get a popup saying that a new version (15.2) is available to download ?

If you cannot overcome this, I'd copy all my kodi settings to external USB, delete the Kodi app, fresh install of 15.2 and then restore the backup.

Easy peasy >>>> http://www.tvaddons.ag/clone-configuration-kodi/

Hi

I've it backed up to USB. I didn't delete and reinstall as I was hoping for it to just update over the current settings but probably not a bad idea at this stage. Sure what's the worst that can happen. I'll give it a go, probably over the weekend. Thanks for the tip..

Advertisement