Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most popular History & Geography Textbooks?

• 01-09-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭

hi just want to know what are the most popular history and geograpghy textbooks being used in schools this last few years, i want to have a look through them before i do a few days practice and work experience im promised this current school year. im doing the PME next year, so this is just for some experience and taking an odd class, i want to see what there working with before i go in. i know the teachers will probarbly discuss all this but wouldnt mind showing i have looked at the course and books. any other advice i should take before doing work experience /observation, ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Find out what books the school are using where you will be doing your observation etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'll be unlikely to get them for the PME, since most schools give PME folk the less difficult classes, but be aware there are children for whom even the simplest English in History textbooks is beyond them. Try some teaching without textbooks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Dickie10

that sounds good but i thought u had to be fairly rigid on the curriculum such as no free hand to teach without textbooks, id love to do some of that if it were allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Dickie10 wrote: »
    that sounds good but i thought u had to be fairly rigid on the curriculum such as no free hand to teach without textbooks, id love to do some of that if it were allowed

Yes but as spurious said previously, the textbooks can be difficult for some students so you have to adjust the content in order for them to understand. Also, when you are doing your PME / when you get a job, your supervisor / department inspector don't like over reliance on textbook. Textbook should be used as a backup / homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Comhairleoir

hi just want to know what are the most popular history and geograpghy textbooks being used in schools this last few years, i want to have a look through them before i do a few days practice and work experience im promised this current school year. im doing the PME next year, so this is just for some experience and taking an odd class, i want to see what there working with before i go in. i know the teachers will probarbly discuss all this but wouldnt mind showing i have looked at the course and books. any other advice i should take before doing work experience /observation, ?

History: timeline or focus on the past (JC)

• Advertisement

thanks for the that ! im getting a few days obsevation and practice in two schools so hopefully i will get a good heads up off the teachers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

thanks for the that ! im getting a few days obsevation and practice in two schools so hopefully i will get a good heads up off the teachers

You will enjoy it - take plenty of notes / write it up later - see how the teacher starts the class, questioning, hand outs, lesson content, behaviour management (very important), homework, class work, pair work, finishing the class, teacher/student relationships etc.

Are you going to teach or is it just observation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Just a heads up before you make your choice. I'm history and Geography too but from a job prospects point of view they are not good subjects. I absolutely love both subjects but if I was back in the PGDE I would not go near them as a combination. Not many jobs with them together and seems to be an awful lot with the two subjects

i did a double arts BA in history and geography so thats my subjects! yeah i will just have to keep trying and hope i get a job when im done, or at least a part time number for a while, good few not doing teaching anymore because of all the horror stories, if i had done other combinations i would have failed and drope out of college simple as so just keep putting myself out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

i did a double arts BA in history and geography so thats my subjects! yeah i will just have to keep trying and hope i get a job when im done, or at least a part time number for a while, good few not doing teaching anymore because of all the horror stories, if i had done other combinations i would have failed and drope out of college simple as so just keep putting myself out there!

Not sure that your statement "good few not doing teaching anymore because of all the horror stories" is really in anyways accurate. TBH the stories I have heard this summer are worse than ever in terms of jobs prospect.

I know a teacher who was in a teaching position (and doing well-I work in the school) who didn't get called to the reinterview for her own position because there were hundreds of applications and she didn't make the shortlisting cut on qualifications. I know another girl whose school told her the reinterview was a formality and that the job was hers. They held the interview the week before school. She got a formal letter 2 days before the school opened in August to say she hadn't got the job (they didn't even ring her?!?). I know that all positions advertised in my school (and every school I have contacts in) were massively oversubscribed, to the tune of not just 10s of applications, the level of applications for individual posts was in the 100s!

• Advertisement

jeez il have a long wait so, looks like a career of part time teacher -full time farmer for me so, i thought it might be the other way round!

Advertisement