Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is it to get into a hdip?

Options
  • 01-09-2015 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

How hard is it to get into a hdip after doing an arts degree?

Is there anything you could do to help you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

I'm starting a H.Dip next week. The application process was through Springboard and from what I was told when signing up the course was very competitive.

One thing I've noticed to applying for post graduate positions in college is that the application process can be quite time consuming. I had to get two references, one from a previous educator and one from an employer. I also had to write a short piece on why I should be accepted for the course and my motivation to apply.

I think when applying for a H.Dip (or Masters) they're looking for people who have a genuine interest in the field and relevant past experience be it in education or work that shows that your capable of doing the course to a high standard. After all, the college, whatever institution it may be, doesn't want to have a high drop out rate for the course.

I'd say the key is to have your application done correctly and in as early as possible, that way you'll be one of the first people who they look at which will more than likely increase your chances as it can be much harder near the end when places are in short supply, likewise, show that you have a genuine interest in the topic, which you should if you plan on studying it. For example, if you wanted to study an IT related course you would probably want to study something like Java in your spare time, and you should be keeping up to date with the latest technology in whatever field it is you like to study, or for something like fitness studies you should show that your a health freak and love making nutrition plans for your friends in your spare time.

Other than this I can't imagine that there's much more that you could do. Most colleges will outline guidelines that they're looking for in applicants so if you read them and feel like your a suitable candidate then that should be enough to get in with a bit of luck.

Advertisement