Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Visa - BSC in pharmaceutical and Industrial chemistry

Options
  • 01-09-2015 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Everyone,

I am planning on travelling to the states on a graduate visa with usit. I have graduated in pharmaceutical and industrial chemistry.

I know San Fran has good chance of employment in my field but the rent is high.

Would Anyone know if Austin in Texas or Philadelphia has opportunties for people with a science related degree like mine.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

pretty much every big pharma company has presence in philadelphia area
    your best bet is getting a job with one who has operations in ireland or elsewhere in the EU, getting experience and then transferring
    it would be difficult to get a company to pay your immigration costs and go to the hassle of getting you a visa if you havent got the experience and proven yourself
    there are a number of big pharma companies and cro's in dublin where you might want to start (novartis, quintiles, merck, icon, shire, lilly, almac, etc.)

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

San Francisco is not an easy place for graduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AntoFarrell

"Time to shine" why is it not an easy place for graduates?

"Naked Lepper" Although its not much experience , I do have ten months currently and counting, your comment about the immigration costs is interesting. I will check that out with my visa agency USIT to see would my company have to pay immigration costs. What you said about the starting with companies here/within in the EU is a good option also.

Thanks a million for the feedback guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

"Time to shine" why is it not an easy place for graduates?

"Naked Lepper" Although its not much experience , I do have ten months currently and counting, your comment about the immigration costs is interesting. I will check that out with my visa agency USIT to see would my company have to pay immigration costs. What you said about the starting with companies here/within in the EU is a good option also.

Thanks a million for the feedback guys.

It is expensive. There are literally no "cheap" places - and to get set up without a job is a minefield

A friend recently moved here from the UK. His rent for a room in an OK apartment in an OK part of town is $1500 a month. He's lucky, as he has a job to walk into.

The problem is land - there are few residential skyscrapers (a la new york) and the further south you get, the closer you get to silicone valley, the further north you go you get to Napa/wine country and the further east (oakland etc) is quickly coming up to SF level rent.

On the pharma side: I work in Pharma and there hundreds of bioinformatics and bio pharmaceutical firms here - some great to work for, some awful to work for (everybody talks here). The other main hubs in the US are New Jersey, Indiana, South Carolina

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AntoFarrell

Thanks for the feedback isuedtoknow.

Its definetly not worth living in a place with expensive rent unless your salary can account for it.500 for them conditions is very expensive.

I will look into the other hubs.

Would you know what companies are good and bad to work for ?

Kind Regards,
    Anto

• Advertisement
Advertisement