Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6s unlocked buying options

• 01-09-2015 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I've a few questions about getting this, if anyone can advise based on the last iPhone launch.

1. Is parcel motel a good option for getting an unlocked UK model.

2. If I was going to head up North instead, wants the general routine? Can you book in advance or do you just turn up early on a day they get a big batch.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

With current exchange rate, the Parcel Motel option will cost you around 50-60 euro more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

With current exchange rate, the Parcel Motel option will cost you around 50-60 euro more.

Thanks, yeah I know the rate is bad. I was thinking more of getting it early, then any savings. Do we have any idea - based on last year - how soon they release unlocked versions to buy after the main launch?

Unlocked versions are available immediately on the UK and Irish sites.

UK will usually launch 2-3 weeks before Ireland. If you're not worried about price, go the Parcel Motel route. Be sure to pay for the extra PM insurance just incase. Don't want that 700euro device getting lost now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Unlocked versions are available immediately on the UK and Irish sites.

UK will usually launch 2-3 weeks before Ireland. If you're not worried about price, go the Parcel Motel route. Be sure to pay for the extra PM insurance just incase. Don't want that 700euro device getting lost now.

Was 1 week earlier in the UK last year but the issue is, in the space of that week, the Irish store is shipping 3-4 weeks before you can order one.

To some people the €50 premium might be worth it to avoid that wait.

I'm travelling to the USA in December, might wait and save around 100euro on the Irish price. And 150euro on the UK price.

• Advertisement

I'm travelling to the USA in December, might wait and save around 100euro on the Irish price. And 150euro on the UK price.

Just beware if anything goes wrong with it hardware wise you'll need to visit an Apple Store with it.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Just beware if anything goes wrong with it hardware wise you'll need to visit an Apple Store with it.

I don't think so, I think you can arrange repairs over the phone?

I had a UK bought one before and had to send it back for repair from Ireland.

I don't think so, I think you can arrange repairs over the phone?

I had a UK bought one before and had to send it back for repair from Ireland.

You said you were buying from the U.S.? UK phone is no problem over the phone but one from U.S. Is different.

You said you were buying from the U.S.? UK phone is no problem over the phone but one from U.S. Is different.

Thought it would be the same for anywhere outside Ireland. I'll keep it in mind.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

grizzly wrote: »
    I've a few questions about getting this, if anyone can advise based on the last iPhone launch.

1. Is parcel motel a good option for getting an unlocked UK model.

2. If I was going to head up North instead, wants the general routine? Can you book in advance or do you just turn up early on a day they get a big batch.

Thanks

Check the Belfast website when it's out, then order one, pick a day/time that suits, then head into the city and collect. Did it last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I'll second that I bought the Apple watch in the U.S.and I have some scratches on the screen so I rang Apple and the only way I can get a replacement is by going to the Apple Store in Belfast to leave it for repair Apple say this only apples to U.S Apple watch versions so in my case it will require 2 trips to Belfast.

naasrd wrote: »
    Check the Belfast website when it's out, then order one, pick a day/time that suits, then head into the city and collect. Did it last year.

OP this what I done last year for the 6 so hopefully it will be the same this year.

I'll second that I bought the Apple watch in the U.S.and I have some scratches on the screen so I rang Apple and the only way I can get a replacement is by going to the Apple Store in Belfast to leave it for repair Apple say this only apples to U.S Apple watch versions so in my case it will require 2 trips to Belfast.

That's a slightly different issue.

The Apple Watch can only be serviced in the country it is for sale in.

So being the from the U.S. doesn't apply with the watch, its just that it's not for sale here.

How come it's different for the iPhone then I wonder?

How come it's different for the iPhone then I wonder?

Cellular device.

All Apple Watches are shipped with the same components for all regions.

iPad Wifi is the same too I imagine. Thanks for the tip.

That's a slightly different issue.

The Apple Watch can only be serviced in the country it is for sale in.

So being the from the U.S. doesn't apply with the watch, its just that it's not for sale here.

I see, I think it's a load of bull that they can't just replace the watch for me in store but to have go back up to Belfast a second time is a pain. I guess I'll schedule it the same time I collect the 6s or wait for it to go on sale here.

I see, I think it's a load of bull that they can't just replace the watch for me in store but to have go back up to Belfast a second time is a pain. I guess I'll schedule it the same time I collect the 6s.

It's a pain but as soon as it's available in Ireland to buy, you should have no issues getting it sent off from your home.

iPad Air & Mini Wifi & Cellular models can all be serviced here as well even if from US. The phones are the big issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

6 months ago I had a faulty 5c that was purchased in Apple Store NYC repaired and eventually replaced by Apple Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

Who here plans on getting it in the uk or plans on waiting till it is available in ireland?

• Advertisement

nokia211 wrote: »
    Who here plans on getting it in the uk or plans on waiting till it is available in ireland?

I will hopefully reserve and collect on launch day in Belfast.

I think I'm gonna order the 64gb 6s from UK to get it early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I think for the sake of €50+ I'd rather wait 3 weeks.

My only concern is the rapidly dropping resale price. The 128GB Sim free 6+ on Adverts is lucky to get about 700 these days. Can't believe the depreciation on the higher-end models.

It's very tempting to go order it from the uk but I'm already paying 800 I don't want to go paying even more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I think for the sake of €50+ I'd rather wait 3 weeks.

My only concern is the rapidly dropping resale price. The 128GB Sim free 6+ on Adverts is lucky to get about 700 these days. Can't believe the depreciation on the higher-end models.

Seems that reflects the ridiculous pricing of higher memory models in the first place - it certainly doesn't cost Apple €100 to add the extra memory

I'd nearly rather they just had one model, eg a 32GB or 64GB and upgraded it each year or every two years. The extra cost is a joke. Obviously a great money spinner for Apple.

32 should also be the minimum but looks like we won't see that until 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

dmcg90 wrote: »

30% depreciation on a phone is great. I'd be more than happy with 700 for mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

30% depreciation on a phone is great. I'd be more than happy with 700 for mine.

I went with parcel motel last year and had it on the Saturday a week before the Irish launch. But due to the low numbers it was actually several weeks before you could really buy an unlocked one in Ireland so to me it was well worth it.

I always have got 16gb iPhones but now with 4k video recording I'm annoyed that apple will still make 16gb the base model. It should be at least 32!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I'll be getting mine on launch day in Ireland. I'll just hop into the car and head into Belfast. Can't see anyone getting a boat or train to Britain to get one.

Advertisement