Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6s unlocked buying options

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Is anyone else using a 6S Plus having problems with the screen getting stuck in landscape when you unlock the phone?

It seems to be happening a good bit to me. I'll unlock the phone in portrait and the screen will be in landscape and will take a few turns to get it to go back.

No, not seeing that. I'm on iOS 9.1 beta 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

sillymoo wrote: »
    This might be a strange one but I have family in Singapore and I am considering purchasing a iPhone 6unlocked from over there. Is there any potential pit falls I need to look out for in terms of support, warranty, if it needs to be fixed etc?

You'll have to present it at an Apple Retail Store if you need service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Setting the alarm for 5:50 tomorrow, hoping to reserve in central london and collect there. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

ozmo wrote: »
    Valid thing to ask - but no its not the problem - USB goes half way in - but not far enough to make electrical contact. Something metal in the way I think.

Update: Was some metal bracket at the side - bit of jiggling with an scrap usb cable moved it clear. sorted.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Setting the alarm for 5:50 tomorrow, hoping to reserve in central london and collect there. Fingers crossed!

Only stock in two stores...

6U6igki.png

Same story again this morning, getting beyond annoyed with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Uncle_Joe

I assume the sale of the 6s starts at 9am Friday morning on the apple store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Uncle_Joe wrote: »
    I assume the sale of the 6s starts at 9am Friday morning on the apple store?

Check midnight Thursday night Friday morning just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

I was thinking of buying from Three since it'd be cheaper, but they dont stock the Gold Plus in 64GB :(

• Advertisement

Not all iPhones are created equal....Anyone care to share what chip you have? and where you bought from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Not all iPhones are created equal....Anyone care to share what chip you have? and where you bought from?

That's very interesting. I've got the TSMC chip. I have to say the battery life is far better than my 6 - I'd say 30-40%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

stimpson wrote: »
    That's very interesting. I've got the TSMC chip. I have to say the battery life is far better than my 6 - I'd say 30-40%.

you're comparing a less than 30 day old battery vs. a battery that's gone through at least 365 cycles.

not to mention iOS 9 is more battery efficient, the 6S' components are more battery efficient and your iPhone 6 ran iOS 8 for the majority of it's lifetime with you as a daily driver.

understandable that you see a difference :pac:

you're comparing a less than 30 day old battery vs. a battery that's gone through at least 365 cycles.

not to mention iOS 9 is more battery efficient, the 6S' components are more battery efficient and your iPhone 6 ran iOS 8 for the majority of it's lifetime with you as a daily driver.

Nope - I got my 6 replaced under warranty in early September with a phone manufactured in August. Running iOS 9 for most of it's life.

Ahh guys - not what I want to hear - rather not know tbh. Some are saying its a couple hour battery difference between the models.

But as it happens I have the N71mAP (the good TSMC) - and battery is really good.
    After what was paid for it - I was all ready return had it been the other.

(edit: just for balance - another test here shows nearly 2 hours extra battery for heavy users - but barely noticable slight increase for light users)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bAeJ5fJ1M0

I'm sure there will be better more technical tests.

“Roll it back”

do you think the battery for that phone assembled in August was actually manufactured around the same date? These components are literally made 6-12 months in advance.

I'm not disputing that you're seeing increased I'm just saying they are less likely down to having a TSMC chip over a Samsung one.

do you think the battery for that phone assembled in August was actually manufactured around the same date? These components are literally made 6-12 months in advance.

I'm not disputing that you're seeing increased I'm just saying they are less likely down to having a TSMC chip over a Samsung one.

It's likely that the batteryfor my 6s was manufactured earlier too. But in any case, LiIon batteries don't go off just sitting on the shelf.

The 6 has a larger battery than the 6s, the 6s has twice the RAM of the 6, yet the 6s has a much longer run time. A large part of that is down to a more efficient processor.

The video shows that all things being equal there is a significant difference between the batter life of the Sammy and TSMC phones.

stimpson wrote: »
    The video shows that all things being equal there is a significant difference between the batter life of the Sammy and TSMC phones.

at a CPU intensive task which isn't hugely representative of real world usage.

Official word from Apple — http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/10/apple-data-shows-tsmc-and-samsung-iphone-6s-models-have-similar-battery-life/

Official word from Apple — http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/10/apple-data-shows-tsmc-and-samsung-iphone-6s-models-have-similar-battery-life/

That's just damage limitation by Apple. No surprise that don't want people looking to swap their Samsung chipped phones for TSMC ones.

For the vast majority of people who use mail and facebook and take selfies it's not going to make a huge difference, but for some (eg. gamers) the difference could be significant.

My point about the 6 still stands. I'm sure the Sammy 6s also has significantly longer battery life than the 6.

Hopefully its not a big issue - but remember the "Your holding it wrong" first fire fighting statement way back from Apple - followed by free cases.

That link says Ars will release their own findings within a few hours - so Ill be interested in seeing what they report.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Just a heads up lads
    Apple.ie has all 6s variants for delivery next week
    Ships in 1 to 3 days
    Ordered a space grey 64gb plus ........

Will be going down the uk route next year with the 7 though !

Apple telling people the issue is not as bad as its made out to be.....a regular occurrence at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Well it may or may not be an issue but I like that I don't have the Samsung chip in my phone :)

Asmooh wrote: »
    Well it may or may not be an issue but I like that I don't have the Samsung chip in my phone :)

Hope that's a joke? There's been Samsung components in pretty much every single tech product made in the last 15 years.

Hope that's a joke? There's been Samsung components in pretty much every single tech product made in the last 15 years.

Are you always this contrary and contentious?

Get a breath of fresh air...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Has been throwing quite a few hissy fits of late alright.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Has anyone seen any stores with the 6s+ in stock around Dublin/Liffey Valley/Blanch?

Not contrary, no contentious, I've just been through a lot of debates when it comes to technology.

Pretty much every iPhone has a 'something gate' some are real, some are just meh. I think the processor gate is a non-issue. bend gate affected a small few, a lot of which probably but their phone in the back pocket (i thought my phone was affected due to my phone rocking on a flat surface, then I got a spirit level and it wasn't) and antenna gate was a real flaw in the design.

I'm just not as quick as others to jump on these things as we're less than a week into this new processor gate issue that it's too early to tell.

Do we know how many iPhone 6S' have the samsung chip, maybe it's less than a million (bare in mind iPhone 6S sold 13 million in a weekend, they've probably doubled that number since then).

I still have doubts over the original video with the phones being like for like i'm sure more details have come out since then but I have been getting some fresh air actually :).
    naasrd wrote: »
    Has been throwing quite a few hissy fits of late alright.

attack the post, not the poster. If I'm being too much, report my posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭shooting101

Was thinking of getting one from the us then getting them to ship it to the IE, around 850 inc the duty and customs, good choice? I'm getting the iPhone 6s Plus 64gb any other suggestions of getting one for around 850e?

• Advertisement

Was thinking of getting one from the us then getting them to ship it to the IE, around 850 inc the duty and customs, good choice? I'm getting the iPhone 6s Plus 64gb any other suggestions of getting one for around 850e?

Pointless :confused:

Advertisement