Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC Upgrade

Options
  • 02-09-2015 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm looking to upgrade my Acer Predator G5900. It's about 5 years old now and still running good. Has 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. Essentially I'd like to double both. I'm very happy with graphics/sound cards so just looking towards RAM and hard drive space. It has space for a secondary hard drive but I've never used it.

I don't know much about upgrading or building computers. Basically nothing. It's still running well so I don't want to change it yet. It does need a memory boost to be able to run the latest games at a fairly reasonable rate. Not going spending an arm and a leg on it, €200 or there abouts. If I spent more, I'd nearly be better off buying or even building a brand new PC.

Any advice on how to upgrade it/where to get professional assistance? I'm in Limerick but I'm willing to travel a bit to get the right job done/assistance. As I said, ideally I'd like to upgrade to 8GB and 1TB. I've looked up prices online and €200 seems to be achievable. But I'm practically Jon Snow when it comes computer hardware, i.e. knowing nothing (for non G.O.T fans). All help welcomed. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Ram you'll get easily enough a couple of these will see you right for RAM and this for your hard drive. They should slot in no bother.

I am basing it of the specs here and if if right you'd be better off saving up and doing a new system. The geforce 440 was woeful when it came out, never mind 4 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Ram you'll get easily enough a couple of these will see you right for RAM and this for your hard drive. They should slot in no bother.

I am basing it of the specs here and if if right you'd be better off saving up and doing a new system. The geforce 440 was woeful when it came out, never mind 4 years later.

That's it alright. If I was to go new, would you recommend building anew or buying off the shelf? Been looking at 8 GB, 1TB PC's from PC world for just over €1000.

Only thing is for building my own, I have no idea how to build one so would have to pay someone. Thanks for the info btw. Would it be worth my while getting a new graphics card (along with harddrive and RAM) for the 5900, if I was to go down that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

It's much better to build you own (and cheaper). There's plenty of tutorials on YouTube to help you through this. If you're just replacing the RAM and HDD by yourself, it's as easy as anything. RAM can be replaced by simply pressing a latch on the motherboard and taking it out. For the HDD, it's just plugging in a few wires and securing it to the bays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I think you could get away with upgrading the GPU to a 750TI or a 950 (if the power supply has a 6pin connector). An SSD would also kick some life into this ageing PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Is it the i5 or I7.

Look on adverts for ram 4 gigs of 1333.

If its the I5 which I believe has a lesser psu.
    A gtx 660ti will work in there. Can pick up for say 120 adverts. Will be a big improvement over your present card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If it's the i5-650 that could do with upgrading also, as only the i5-7x0 cpu's are quad cores, the lower models are dual cores...and a 1st generation dual core won't get you too far in most of the latest games.

Hypothetically...

i7-880 - €70
    4Gb Ram - €25
    GTX750Ti - €130

Total - €225 and it'll last you another good while. If your power supply has a 6-pin connection you could get a better card like the GTX950 for a total of about €265.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

A lot to consider. For now, I think I'll upgrade just the graphics card and see where that gets me. Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful.

Advertisement