Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casting Spoiler for Christmas Episode

Options
  • 02-09-2015 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭

An old face will return this Christmas in
    River Song
    (Spoilered just in case people thought it was just a celebrity or something).

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Well I'm happy. I adore
    Alex Kingston

Looking absolutely swell in that press release photo, too.

Link to press release with spoiler.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On a fence a little here: I like
    River Song, but her story feels exhausted by now. Plus at this stage I'd happily do without the Xmas episodes if it meant a bit more time and budget for the 'main' series, they're generally 'OK' at best. That said, I can only imagine the verbal jousting that'll happen between herself and Capaldi, so that alone could make it worth the while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Spoiler tags in post #1. Spoiler tags in post #2. What happened, poster 3?!? You had one job...

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The title is 'Casting Spoiler for Christmas Episode'; I don't think it could be more explanatory of the thread's contents if it tried so why else would people click in if not to be spoiled? :) I've edited the post anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

pixelburp wrote: »
    The title is 'Casting Spoiler for Christmas Episode'; I don't think it could be more explanatory of the thread's contents if it tried so why else would people click in if not to be spoiled? :) I've edited the post anyway
    Yeah, I know. 'Tis the done thing to get irate about these things though...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

At this stage I reckon
    Rose
    is due a return too. *runs* :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm just so fed of that character. But this doesn't surprise me at all, it reeks of Moffat's self indulgent writing which has really begun to hold the show back for me and it has done the same to Sherlock imo. Moffat's first season as showrunner was his best.

The first photo from the Christmas Special was released last night. Do not click if you don't want to be spoiled!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/668942381576814593
    Looks a bit like the set of a murder mystery. Maybe a bit Coward-esque.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I find it hard to care. I miss
    Clara
    :(

The Christmas episodes have been fairly hit & miss throughout, so I'm generally ambivalent either way, even with the return of River. Like most Christmas specials, the seasonal theme often feels clumsilly wedged in and to the detriment of any actual story. A Christmas Carol was about the only one I genuinely enjoyed; Time and the Doctor too, even if that was a bit of a mess of retconn'ing. Doc #10's final story, on the other hand, really triggered some quality nerd rage :D

• Advertisement

The Christmas episodes have been fairly hit & miss throughout, so I'm generally ambivalent either way, even with the return of River. Like most Christmas specials, the seasonal theme often feels clumsilly wedged in and to the detriment of any actual story. A Christmas Carol was about the only one I genuinely enjoyed; Time and the Doctor too, even if that was a bit of a mess of retconn'ing. Doc #10's final story, on the other hand, really triggered some quality nerd rage :D

Like the regular episodes I've only seen Matt Smith on wards but I think the only Christmas special I enjoyed was The Snowmen.

Even when it's awful, it's still the best thing on the telly on Christmas Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I'm just so fed of that character. But this doesn't surprise me at all, it reeks of Moffat's self indulgent writing which has really begun to hold the show back for me and it has done the same to Sherlock imo. Moffat's first season as showrunner was his best.

Clearly the brilliance of either of them depend on Moffats writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Like the regular episodes I've only seen Matt Smith on wards but I think the only Christmas special I enjoyed was The Snowmen.

Agreed. That one was pretty good. The rest tend to be 'meh'

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The episode will be called
    'The Husbands of River Song'

The episode will be called
    'The Husbands of River Song'

Already losing what little interest I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think her and Capaldi will play off each other brilliantly.

Yeah I suspect Kingston & Capaldi will have pretty good chemistry together; am also presuming that given the relative pitch-darkness of season 9's back half, this Xmas episode will be an exceedingly frothy and light affair

Yeah I suspect Kingston & Capaldi will have pretty good chemistry together; am also presuming that given the relative pitch-darkness of season 9's back half, this Xmas episode will be an exceedingly frothy and light affair

It's on at 17:15 on Christmas Day so I'd be surprised if there was even the tiniest hint of darkness in it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'd actually love to see Rose and 12. Could you imagine?

"What're you doing? Stop pining. Got to save people. Well, if I can, sometimes they get all dead-ish. Oh, you only do what I say when my hairs all floppy is it?"

"Why would you do that? Clara wouldn't do that. Must remember only to pick up genius humans in future"

She'd bleedin' hate him!

• Advertisement

I'd actually love to see Rose and 12. Could you imagine?

"What're you doing? Stop pining. Got to save people. Well, if I can, sometimes they get all dead-ish. Oh, you only do what I say when my hairs all floppy is it?"

"Why would you do that? Clara wouldn't do that. Must remember only to pick up genius humans in future"

She'd bleedin' hate him!

"Have you ever thought about dying your hair, Rose? Brown-ish maybe..... short cut...... can you do a Lancashire accent at all?"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well she bounced off the very non floppy haired Ecclestone Doc without getting gooey eyed. That came later. Eccy was very much more a father figure(that whole first series was Freudian all over the place). So it might well work better with 12 than we might think and she didn't have nearly so much of the reckless vibe going on that Clara had. I'd love to see 12 and Roses ma in the same scene :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement