Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To leave or to get fired?

Options
  • 02-09-2015 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I have been working in a small chain of creches for the past 6 years on and off. I really can't take my job any more. The job itself is ok, management is ok and kids are ok. The problem is I really don't want to be there, to the point where I've cried before going to work and also cried in work (on my breaks). I really don't want to be there. I have been dealing with depression this year which they are aware of btw. But recently I've been beyond stressed out with stupid tasks. I've had little panic attacks in work, on Sunday nights I can't sleep because I get myself worked up on being stressed out about what I might be given out to for - which is usually nothing but I still manage to stress myself out. MY memory is rubbish I keep forgetting to do things.

My hours have been cut and I feel like I'm doing the crappy hours and there is no chance of this changing. I've had issuses with the management before and they've eventually seen my point. We are on ok terms, but I don't know what to do.

I think they know I'm not that interested in my job any more, so I was wondering could I ask them would they be able to let me go, if I went to them and asked could I be let go as I've no interest, I don't want to let the company down or them down, etc...

Or am I better off just keeping my mouth shut and handing in my notice? Honestly the reason I kind of want to be layed off is I won't get unemployment benefits if I hand in my notice. I'm not trying to sponge off anyone but I won't have money to survive 9 weeks without any money.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I can't see why they would let you go; it can't be disciplinary (takes to long) and presumably the position would still be open and this is before we talk the legal mandatory redundancy or the risk they would open themselves up to for a lawsuit...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you looked for another job?

Have you discussed with your doctor that maybe you need a period of sick leave? If you were signed out, you would be eligible for Illness Benefit (I think that's the right name) after six days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How about you start looking around for a different job? The stores will be looking for Christmas workers soon and it might give you a break to do something different for a short while. Then you would qualify for jobseekers in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

I don't really think any company is going to be foolish enough to agree to dismiss you due to the potential unfair dismissal claim. If your depression is making you feel this way, would you not be better off seeing your gp and getting yourself sorted out? I am in no way medically qualified to comment, but from experience as being on the management side of things, employees with depression have often felt the same as you but after a period of sick leave they come back in much better shape and mood towards work.

Depression is an illness at the end of the day, and the most important thing is to get yourself sorted, the work stuff will hopefully make more sense to you then!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

If you are struggling with depression, please go to your GP, as you should be eligible for illness benefit, and I think you will continue to be if you are ill and resign due to ill health. Do check.

But having panic attacks and crying at work is not right - please go and see your GP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭The Masculinist

To get another job you will need a reference. Hence I would shy away from going down the route of being dismissed by your employer.

RE: your query in relation to social welfare, I wonder if the changes in your shifts have reduced your pay? If so it may be a compelling reason for you to receive social welfare should you voluntarily leave.

“If you leave work voluntarily or as a result of misconduct, you cannot get a jobseeker’s payment for 9 weeks. However, if you have ‘good cause’ to leave voluntarily, for example, any changes in working conditions such as a reduction in pay, harassment or abuse from your employer, you may get your payment.”

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/signing_on.html

Also, do see a GP if you haven’t already done so.
    All the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Leave. It's not worth the stress you're under. Go to your GP and discuss it with them. If you're signed off work you'll get illness benefit and if it's just this job in particular that's making your feel this way and you feel that moving into a completely different job will help then you may qualify for Jobseekers Benefit. I was in a similar situation to you. Nothing wrong with the job itself but I just didn't want to do it any more and it caused severe anxiety. I went to my GP, got signed off immediately, got illness benefit and then jobseekers having spoken to the welfare office because while the job I was in was causing this anxiety, I felt that it wouldn't be the case if I found a different job. Overnight I felt better. It was like a weight lifted off my shoulders. Best decision I ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

Im pretty sure that if you were on illness benefit for 9 weeks after you left nothing can be done. A loophole if you will.

Advertisement