Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get to Salthill?

Options
  • 02-09-2015 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

I'm wondering if someone would be able to help me with directions if possible please.

I'm meant to be starting a course in The Ardiluan Hotel in a couple of weeks and I live in Sligo. The course is running on Saturday and Sunday every second weekend for 5 months and I was planning on driving from Sligo on both days rather than staying over.

I did a trial run yesterday and it was a bit of a disaster and now I'm reconsidering the course altogether.

When I have been to Salthill before, I usually come in as far as the roundabout at the Headford Road and I take the first left that brings me down as far as the roundabout at The G Hotel where I used to take a right to go out to Salthill.

Yesterday I was no longer able to take that right turn and I had to drive out past The G Hotel and do a U turn about 1km down the road and come back in and take the road out to Salthill.

Then it seemed that an entire new traffic layout has been introduced since I was last there and I made about 5 wrong turns and was looping around in circles. I had a whole other nightmare coming back out. After I left The Ardiluan, I came down Threadneedle Road and out the Coast Road but then got totally lost.

Now I can't remember how I got there or how I got back, it took me about 45 minutes in all and a lot of petrol.

Does anyone know if there is any other way to get there from the Sligo side (N17 Claregalway) rather than coming into the city centre and having to go through the Salthill 'town' centre?

The only places I remember passing were Jury's Inns and the Gourmet Food Parlour (Pink shop) but I passed them from two different angles so I definitely didn't come back the way I went out.

I thought I'd give myself enough time leaving Sligo 3 hours in advance of the course start time but now I wouldn't feel comfortable with that at all.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,432 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

One option is this:

N17 from Sligo, then turn right off Tuam road at first or second major junction.

First right leads onto the bypass, towards new Nox hotel/Menlo hotel, then turn left at next roundabout onto Headford road, past Dunnes Stores, to Headford road junction.

Turn right at second roundabout onto the Sean Mulvoy road leads you also down to the Headford road junction.

Both options lead you to the same junction.

At this point, travel onto the bridge across the Corrib, direction NUIG/UCHG/N59 to Clifden/Salthill.

(First option means turning right onto bridge, second option means going straight onto bridge.)

After bridge, take the first left, and then stay straight all the way to Salthill.

This leads you along Upper Newcastle / Lower Newcastle / Newcastle road / St. Mary's road, onto Lower Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

does yur fone have maps (google, bing or apple maps), or do you have a sat nav.

This is a simple enough route, from N17 side, follow the signs for the N6, that'll bring you over the Quincentenary, and on your way to the Hotel

This is the route, I'd follow

The other option is what you mentioned:

N17 to Lough Atalia road

but you suggest that you can't turn right onto College road at the Huntsman junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Geuze wrote: »
    One option is this:

N17 from Sligo, then turn right off Tuam road at first or second major junction.

First right leads onto the bypass, towards new Nox hotel/Menlo hotel, then turn left at next roundabout onto Headford road, past Dunnes Stores, to Headford road junction.

Turn right at second roundabout onto the Sean Mulvoy road leads you also down to the Headford road junction.

Both options lead you to the same junction.

At this point, travel onto the bridge across the Corrib, direction NUIG/UCHG/N59 to Clifden/Salthill.

(First option means turning right onto bridge, second option means going straight onto bridge.)

After bridge, take the first right, and then stay straight all the way to Salthill.

This leads you along Upper Newcastle / Lower Newcastle / Newcastle road / St. Mary's road, onto Lower Salthill.

Don't you mean left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

If it was me I would come in the Tuam Road, right at cemetery cross, over the bridge and straight on pass Westside continue onto the lights at Taylors hill, you cant miss them as you will be looking over Galway Bay to Clare then take a left to the Ardilaun Hotel which will be on your right as you travel along, much more simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

^^^^ do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Aerohead wrote: »
    If it was me I would come in the Tuam Road, right at cemetery cross, over the bridge and straight on pass Westside continue onto the lights at Taylors hill, you cant miss them as you will be looking over Galway Bay to Clare then take a left to the Ardilaun Hotel which will be on your right as you travel along, much more simple.

this + lots.

Going anywhere near Salthill if you're headed for the Ardilaun is just madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Why travel down and up to Sligo both days? There is a guy where I work and he stays in B&B for E25 per night. I think B&B is on Tuam road near Corinthians
    Rugby pitch. Much easier and cheaper than traveling both days.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

biko wrote: »

I have Google maps on my phone but I never use it, I'm useless with maps.

I had a look there, what or where is cemetery cross? I can't see on the map where I'm meant to be turning right?

• Advertisement

Someone else made a suggestion to me earlier today. It was that when I come to the first major junction on the N17 to take a right. And to continue on down past NUIG and around the back of the hospital and to just continue on and then take a left onto Taylor's Hill. They said it was a 3 lane dual-carriageway and should take 30 minutes max with traffic from the turn off at the junction.

Would anyone recommend that route or have any idea how long that would take me because I could come back the same way.

I presume the junction they are talking about is the one with lights which has a left turn to Dublin and Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Keep on the N17, all through Claregalway, all the way into town. You'll go straight through a signalised junction and about 1km (?) after this is the Cemetery Roundabout/Cross. Take the 3rd exit (right) onto Sean Mulvoy Road, then straight all the way, over the bridge, through the lights at the end of the bridge. Next roundabout go straight (3rd exit) onto Seamus Quirke Road, stay straight through all the lights as far as the next roundabout. Take 2nd exit here (straight) and at the next traffic lights you'll see Galway Bay. Turn left at these lights, continue down this road and the Ardilaun is on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Aerohead wrote: »

This!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

seriously, get yourself a Sat Nav

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Navmii smartphone app is free and doesn't use phone data and is available for Android, WindowsPhone, BB and Iphone
    It has voice guidance so you don't have to look at screen

Mentions on boards http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=navmii

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

Someone else made a suggestion to me earlier today. It was that when I come to the first major junction on the N17 to take a right. And to continue on down past NUIG and around the back of the hospital and to just continue on and then take a left onto Taylor's Hill. They said it was a 3 lane dual-carriageway and should take 30 minutes max with traffic from the turn off at the junction.

Would anyone recommend that route or have any idea how long that would take me because I could come back the same way.

I presume the junction they are talking about is the one with lights which has a left turn to Dublin and Limerick?

That sounds like the same route as Bikos' map - zoom into it & print it out. Yes, that is the correct junction, assuming that you're coming in the Tuam Rd. It's the simplest route with the least turn offs. Early Saturday morning should be fairly quiet so you should have no bother. Best of luck with your course!

Sorry, I has assumed that the OP wanted to go to Salthill.

I gave directions along Newcastle/St.Mary's road to Lower Salthill.

If you want to go from Sligo to Ardilaun hotel, then yes: bridge - SQR - BODR, as far as traffic lights at top of Taylor's Hill.

Thanks everyone for your help, I'm all sorted now and know where I'm going.

Will download the app mentioned above as well, thank you.

Advertisement