Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed Rivers

Options
  • 02-09-2015 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Can rivers be closed to fly fishing for brown trout? A river that I fish is closed this season and was closed halfway through last season. It's a tidal river which has brownies, sea trout and salmon. I mentioned this to a friend who has been fishing for 40-odd years and he seemed surprised that I couldn't fish for brownies on it. Another reliable source told me that said river was closed to all types of fishing. Can I fish this river for brown trout or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it is closed by those with the fishing rights, then it is closed. All types means all types.

I'm not sure what you are asking beyond this. It's not uncommon to close a river to give it a chance to recover or mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Well, my friend was fairly astounded that I couldn't fish for brownies and he's a seasoned fisherman. I myself figured, like yourself, that it was closed to all. His astonishment just surprised me I guess so I had to ask.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

What river is it?
    Blondie919 wrote: »
    Well, my friend was fairly astounded that I couldn't fish for brownies and he's a seasoned fisherman. I myself figured, like yourself, that it was closed to all. His astonishment just surprised me I guess so I had to ask.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Fairly common for waters to be closed for a season. It could be recovering from pollution, poaching or works carried out on the strech

fisherking wrote: »
    What river is it?

The Dunkellin river in Kilcolgan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Blondie919 wrote: »
    The Dunkellin river in Kilcolgan.

The Dunkellin is closed for salmon fishing but you can fish for trout. Who told you that you can't?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Zzippy wrote: »
    The Dunkellin is closed for salmon fishing but you can fish for trout. Who told you that you can't?

I've heard the same think on that river from locals as well but my understanding is that trout fishing is permitted, but worm fishing is barred on account of accidental captures of salmon. I fish that river regularly (albeit not at kilcolgan) and have never had an issue with water keepers.

Zzippy wrote: »

An old fella who has a hardware shop in Gort.

Thanks for letting me know. I haven't fished this river at all this season due to work and the bad info I got but hope to get a few casts in over the next couple of weeks.

viper123 wrote: »
    I've heard the same think on that river from locals as well but my understanding is that trout fishing is permitted, but worm fishing is barred on account of accidental captures of salmon. I fish that river regularly (albeit not at kilcolgan) and have never had an issue with water keepers.

Worm fishing is banned on all closed rivers AFAIK, but you can fish for trout with the fly no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

BTW it was not closed halfway through any season, it was closed I think two seasons ago based on the review of salmon catches and the fact that it's returns weren't up to scratch. I believe this is reviewed every three years?

• Advertisement

viper123 wrote: »
    BTW it was not closed halfway through any season, it was closed I think two seasons ago based on the review of salmon catches and the fact that it's returns weren't up to scratch. I believe this is reviewed every three years?

It's been closed for several years. There is a fish counter on the river, if/when this shows salmon numbers have improved sufficiently the river would be opened again, probably on a C&R basis first. Data is reviewed every year but it is an average of the previous 5 years data that matters, which may be where the 3 years notion came from?

Zzippy wrote:
    Worm fishing is banned on all closed rivers AFAIK, but you can fish for trout with the fly no problem.

What about a small mepps spinner? Brilliant for catching trout. Would they accuse you of salmon fishing?

ComfortKid wrote: »
    What about a small mepps spinner? Brilliant for catching trout. Would they accuse you of salmon fishing?

Provided it has a single barbless hook on it I don't think there's a problem, but best to check with local IFI office as there may be local variations to byelaws.

Zzippy wrote:
    Provided it has a single barbless hook on it I don't think there's a problem, but best to check with local IFI office as there may be local variations to byelaws.

I've never seen a trout spinner with a single hook. I won't be fishing that river anyway, just asking out of interest.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    I've never seen a trout spinner with a single hook. I won't be fishing that river anyway, just asking out of interest.

You can remove the treble from the spinner and put a single on it in about 2 minutes. If someone was caught spinning a closed river with a treble hook on they would be in a bit of trouble.

Advertisement