Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a house that was partially built during the recession perios

Options
  • 02-09-2015 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi
    I am looking to buy a detached house in co.Tipp. The estate was built in 2006 only few houses were completed and sold at that time. im looking at the houses that are 80% finished. just would like to know the risks of buying the house which is partially finished 9 years ago. any advise/suggestions welcome. searched in this forum, couldnt get the answers for my question. so started a new one here. if there is any other thread talks about this topic, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What was missing? I'm guessing Windows, and possibly slates? Or did it have an outside, but no wiring done? I'd wonder what the 20% was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Deub

I suspect there was no heating as well during these 9 years. It is not good for the walls with the humidity inside the house (even with the windows).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Tow

Depends on the what 20% of the house is missing, i.e. how well sealed from the elements. I would not be too worried about lack of heating, many an Irish house had no heating for generations. The quality of construction would be the main worry, who knows what shortcuts could have been taken as money ran out during building.
    It would need to be properly surveyed, not one of these few 100 quid surveys to keep the bank happy.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

It will need a certificate of compliance, and that will prove very difficult to get, as a surveyor will be reluctant to sign off on works.which have been covered up. It may well only be suitable for a cash buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MouseTail wrote: »
    It may well only be suitable for a cash buyer.
    Who has money to throw into what could be a money pit, in case that "80% completed" turns into a lot less completed. Any sign or pyrite in any other houses or estates nearby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 gerry26

The 20 % is interior which is not fully done yet. Last year one of the house that was remaining from the previous builder was sold for 160k. These houses are now advertised for 220k ( until July it was only 170k). 😟. Bit upset now. I don't think it is worth that price. I too noticed the moisture on the walls.

Advertisement