Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours new dog- unleashed walking

• 02-09-2015 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Our next door neighbours has one fairly elderly dog which seems like a nice old thing. Recently, they took on a student tenant with a large dog. I've been looking up pics and I would say it is a husky type dog but definitely facially more like an Akita than husky (more square faced, golden coloured, brown eyed). It's a very sturdy looking dog. I'm quite fearful of large unfamiliar dogs. I've noticed that the owner takes the dog out several times a day unleashed (he carries a lead, but does not put it on the dog). I'm sure the dog has good recall etc, but there are a lot of kids in the area and I myself would be terrified to see it coming towards me without a leash.
    Recently, a friend lost a beloved pet cat to a dog that broke off its leash and away from its owner and killed the cat on the doorstep. We have a cat, and before hearing my friend's news, I was already concerned that this new dog might take a fancy to our cat and the poor thing wouldn't stand a chance.
    Now, I'm considering calling in and asking would they mind keeping the dog on a leash while he is walking around the estate due to my own fear of the dog. If you were the owner, would you be offended?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Now, I'm considering calling in and asking would they mind keeping the dog on a leash while he is walking around the estate due to my own fear of the dog. If you were the owner, would you be offended?

I wouldn't be offended more irritated that you're tarring my dog with the same brush as another without knowing me or my dog and the training we've done together. Look, unless the dog is a restricted breed dog and you're 100% sure it is then the owner is under no obligation to have it on lead as long as it's under control - which it seems to be. It's walking around with it's owner not running amok eating children and cats.

You have an irrational fear of this individual dog - it's done nothing to you. Why not approach the guy and ask if you can meet with the dog instead of letting your fear rule your life - because that's what it is at the end of the day your fear - you can't expect every dog owner accommodate your fear. I would love if someone approached me like this - especially people with kids who freak out at the dogs because it frightens one of them and a bit like your fear she now thinks all toddlers are going to scream at her and grab her. On the flip side we've helped kids overcome their fear on more than one occasion just by having my other dog do some tricks for them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Our next door neighbours has one fairly elderly dog which seems like a nice old thing. Recently, they took on a student tenant with a large dog. I've been looking up pics and I would say it is a husky type dog but definitely facially more like an Akita than husky (more square faced, golden coloured, brown eyed). It's a very sturdy looking dog. I'm quite fearful of large unfamiliar dogs. I've noticed that the owner takes the dog out several times a day unleashed (he carries a lead, but does not put it on the dog). I'm sure the dog has good recall etc, but there are a lot of kids in the area and I myself would be terrified to see it coming towards me without a leash.
    Recently, a friend lost a beloved pet cat to a dog that broke off its leash and away from its owner and killed the cat on the doorstep. We have a cat, and before hearing my friend's news, I was already concerned that this new dog might take a fancy to our cat and the poor thing wouldn't stand a chance.

Firstly, it is dependent on breed as to whether the dog is required by law to be on a lead. If it is an akita, it is on the restricted breed list, which requires the owner to leash and muzzle the dog, on a strong leash under a metre and the handler must be older than 16yrs old. But that is only if it is an akita. If the dog is a husky or a malamute there is no requirement to adhere to the above laws, although it is well known that the husky has a very high prey drive with poor recall, so anybody who knows the breed should be keeping their dog on leash anyway.

As for the offence that may be taken, you do have a few preconceptions regarding the dog and this may come across if you approach him with your concerns. Firstly, if you are afraid, just tell him. Say you're afraid of big dogs, and that it's nothing personal. A responsible owner won't mind in the slightest if you ask that the dog is leashed in your company. Don't go into your own assumption that perhaps the dog might go for a child or your cat as there's lots of them about - firstly, there's no evidential basis that the dog is people aggressive, it's your assumption, and this is where you will get an owners back up and cause offence. There's no correlation that because a dog may chase a cat etc, that it will do the same to a child, and the "won't somebody think of the children" hysteria that tends to accompany dogs off lead is where offence may start! In saying that, huskies do have a high prey drive and may chase a cat, but you need to establish the breed of dog before assuming it will happen rather than a possibility.

In saying all that, some people will say "my dog won't hurt a fly" or "he's never done that before" until the first time it happens. Would there be any chance of approaching your neighbour and asking him to establish what breed the dog is, perhaps asking how it's getting on with their own dog while asking what breed it is as it's very striking looking etc. At least when you establish what breed you're dealing with, you can then look at the legalities and if there's anything that you can do about it. A dog that isn't on the restricted breed list ie a husky or a malamute doesn't actually have to be on lead, but must be under "effectual control" ie come back when called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭RumTumTiger

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Ill have a chat to the neighbour... in the meantime, I'll just put the house on the market ;);):D

Advertisement