Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAVEN

Options
  • 02-09-2015 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I would love to hear what peoples interpretation of heaven are,and would you still enter heaven knowing a loved one is not their or in hell maybe
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Heaven is described as being the existence in which the very depths of our being, our soul, are satisfied far beyond any human comprehension and human experience.

The Beatific Vision is said to the source of that peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 19warrior81

I hope i make it their

I hope i make it their

I hope that you do so as well.:)

i often think,would god just not say,yerra yer all forgiven and know one has to go to hell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

i often think,would god just not say,yerra yer all forgiven and know one has to go to hell

Nobody has to go to Hell, forgiveness is ours to accept or reject as God has already offered it to us

• Advertisement

i believe in god and i am convinced that he\she exists,however my biggest fear is that i wont live up to his standards and i will never know untill i go.i guess what i am saying is i need reassurance that im on the right path,i have felt this way since childhood and its torture.

i believe in god and i am convinced that he\she exists,however my biggest fear is that i wont live up to his standards and i will never know untill i go.i guess what i am saying is i need reassurance that im on the right path,i have felt this way since childhood and its torture.

The beauty of it is that God knows we can never live up to his standards, that's where grace comes in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

I think simply being in God's presence is the essence of Heaven. Some saints, like St Faustina Kowalska, saw Heaven in a vision.

i need reassurance that im on the right path,i have felt this way since childhood and its torture.
    On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

“What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.”

“You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

God first, other people second, everything else (including yourself) after that. To mention another ongoing thread, don't neglect confession too :)

another question i would love to hear opinions on is this.I believe that god exists completely but i do not believe in organised religion.i am catholic by birth and it gave me a foundation of faith that i am gratefull for and i do believe in alot of its teachings but theirs is an awfull lot that i do not believe in.so basically i am just going to place my trust in god and follow him.is this right or wrong....................

God first, other people second, everything else (including yourself) after that.

J - Jesus first
    O - Others Second
    Y - Yourself last

:)

• Advertisement

another question i would love to hear opinions on is this.I believe that god exists completely but i do not believe in organised religion.i am catholic by birth and it gave me a foundation of faith that i am gratefull for and i do believe in alot of its teachings but theirs is an awfull lot that i do not believe in.so basically i am just going to place my trust in god and follow him.is this right or wrong....................

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "organised religion". The Bible definitely encourages Christians to meet together regularly - to worship God, share the Lord's Supper, pray, encourage one another and to teach the Word of God. If you don't do any of these things you are certainly missing out in your Christian life and may be exposing yourself to temptation and "back-sliding". Put on the "full armour of God"! Meeting as Christians is both for your benefit and for those that you encourage.

There are plenty of informal Christian groups or independent churches that would do this

i have looked into born again christianity and was interested at first but what turned me off was that they took the bible too litarally and they seem to be unable to think for themselves only refering to the bible when hard questions were asked.i am sorry if i offend any born again christians i do not mean to insult it is merely my opinion.so once again i just went back to god himself for answers.Question everything

It's up to everyone to make their own. I'm Catholic. I was raised Catholic.
    I'm fortunate to have invested time reading and reading as much as I possibly can about Catholic teaching, Catholic history.

I don't know what parts of Catholicism you do not accept. I'd suggest that if you can do so try to persevere in your Catholic belief.

Good luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Get yourself a copy of the YouCat. Its basically a book full of common questions about the Catholic faith followed by reasoned explainations, with beautiful and uplifting quotes in the margins. Could not recommend it highly enaugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 UB Dude

Heaven is a word used to express several ideas: 1, the most common notion is that of 'life after death' - an existence of continual bliss due to contemplating the glory of God: 2, it is also used in reference to ideal culture, as in that occasion when we finally achieve 'heaven on earth': 3, it also refers to the 'worlds of glory on high' - the higher worlds beyond our own where the journey of life continues. The kingdom, as I understand it, is first and foremost an awareness of and faith in the truth of the Fatherhood of God, it is the realisation and consequent joyful acceptance of your sonship in this ever living, ever loving, all wise creator. It is the acceptance of this truth that banishes all fear. Hell is a concept belonging to a different age. The book of Revelation talks of the 'Second Death' from which there is no return, which means our choices (when it comes to existence) are 2: everlasting life or everlasting extinction. The implication is that everyone gets a fair and fighting chance at achieving life everlasting and those that fail or abandon the endeavour become as though 'they have not been'. The time of 'heaven on earth' refers to the dawn of the age of universal brotherhood, when we shall 'no more learn to make war', when we 'beat our swords into ploughshares' - when we finally lose our appetite for war and commit ourselves to global peace and learn to live in harmony as the Father intended. Some insight into the activities associated with the 'worlds on high' can be gleaned from various sources but such information is subject to Faith and not too reliable given that 'eye has not seen, ear has not heard, nor has it entered into the heart of man the things the Father has prepared for those that love him and seek to do his will.'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

where you get to wonder why your favourite pet made it but not your parents or kids , that wont get under your skin at all over eternity :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

UB Dude wrote: »
    Heaven is a word used to express several ideas: 1, the most common notion is that of 'life after death' - an existence of continual bliss due to contemplating the glory of God: 2, it is also used in reference to ideal culture, as in that occasion when we finally achieve 'heaven on earth': 3, it also refers to the 'worlds of glory on high' - the higher worlds beyond our own where the journey of life continues. The kingdom, as I understand it, is first and foremost an awareness of and faith in the truth of the Fatherhood of God, it is the realisation and consequent joyful acceptance of your sonship in this ever living, ever loving, all wise creator. It is the acceptance of this truth that banishes all fear. Hell is a concept belonging to a different age. The book of Revelation talks of the 'Second Death' from which there is no return, which means our choices (when it comes to existence) are 2: everlasting life or everlasting extinction. The implication is that everyone gets a fair and fighting chance at achieving life everlasting and those that fail or abandon the endeavour become as though 'they have not been'. The time of 'heaven on earth' refers to the dawn of the age of universal brotherhood, when we shall 'no more learn to make war', when we 'beat our swords into ploughshares' - when we finally lose our appetite for war and commit ourselves to global peace and learn to live in harmony as the Father intended. Some insight into the activities associated with the 'worlds on high' can be gleaned from various sources but such information is subject to Faith and not too reliable given that 'eye has not seen, ear has not heard, nor has it entered into the heart of man the things the Father has prepared for those that love him and seek to do his will.'

Is Satan dead therefore?

If he ain't already, it's certainly on the cards for him and all the 'Heavenly hosts of wickedness' that joined in the rebellion when there was 'war in Heaven'. The wheels of divine justice may turn slowly but they are unerring and nothing escapes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭indy_man

Quite a lot of the new testament relates to the various churches which would mean organized religion. I myself am Catholic but had tried a number of other protestant and born again religions in the past but only really feel a closeness to Christ now and a much more mystical slant on religion.

About Heaven, a perfect union with God.

• Advertisement

Organised religion is an inevitability of the fact that we are social beings. Given that every single one of us are flawed it is likewise inevitable that these groups are flawed. Following the leading of the spirit of truth as it inspires you to live is a challenge that requires courage and faith. You don't need the approval of any group in order to perform the Father's will. I have been unable to find a church that reflects my values and ideals, this 'gap in the market' has got me thinking about creating a support network for others like me. I've tried the Pentecostal, Born Again's, Presbyterian, etc. But I feel that I need to share their beliefs if I wish to enjoy fellowship at their table and while I accept that such teachings work for them - I'd rather not feel the hypocrite. I don't have, according to one group or another, the 'right beliefs' but entry into the kingdom is dependent upon faith not intellectual ascent to certain beliefs. I was raised a Catholic and follow the Master's example of not leaving the faith I was born into but endeavour to 're-vitalise' the spiritual life of truth seekers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

When people wonder will they get to heaven it really makes me wonder what kind of Salvation experience they've had.

I've no doubt and haven't had for more than 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I would love to hear what peoples interpretation of heaven are,and would you still enter heaven knowing a loved one is not their or in hell maybe

Heaven is a place "wherein dwelt only righteousness". Which means no sin (a.k.a. selfishness, anger, pride, conceit, lies, etc, etc, etc). The idea isn't that we go to heaven, but that God reconstitutes the Earth to be a place we occupy. So I suspect it will be like here but without all that makes here a misery.

Because we are so loaded down with sinfulness I suspect our first exposure to this eternal environment will feel as if a load is being taken off our back.

A number of years ago I was out on a hike when one of the youngsters got worn out. I carried him on my shoulders. Initially I was consciously aware of his weight but after a while, I forgot about him and the load just became something that was part of me. When I unloaded him at the end of the trip I felt as though I was as light as a feater. Floating on air.

Sin/stress/anxiousness/fear are load we aren't even aware we are carrying to the degree we carry them. They will disappear "in heaven".

It's worth noting, as others have noted, that we don't have to attain this. God gives this sinless state, in the new Earth, to us by grace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

Is heaven only for Christians? What about Atheists who are good people? Or someone who follows a different religion? What about pets will they be allowed in?
    Just some things ive been wondering :c I myself was raised as a Catholic, but I don't take anything from going to mass, nothing whatsoever. I much prefer chatting away to God now and again on my own throughout the day. So not sure if I still qualify as a Catholic, I would just call myself a Christian :c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

mattP wrote: »
    Is heaven only for Christians? What about Atheists who are good people? Or someone who follows a different religion? What about pets will they be allowed in?
    Just some things ive been wondering :c I myself was raised as a Catholic, but I don't take anything from going to mass, nothing whatsoever. I much prefer chatting away to God now and again on my own throughout the day. So not sure if I still qualify as a Catholic, I would just call myself a Christian :c

Heaven is for those who have known the salvation of Jesus Christ in this life. It's not a Catholic thing. Its a God thing. I knew 30 years ago I was suddenly going to heaven when I died and knowing that before that point I wasn't going.
    I knew what it was to have my sin forgiven, a relationship with God that continues to grow and after heart surgery last week I know my life has changed further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Hope all went well with the heart surgery and wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

mattP wrote: »

The way I view it is as a Venn diagram. There are different sets of people: Christian (who call themselves, perhaps, born again), Christians (who strongly identify with this or that denomination), Christians by virtue of birth (i.e. a priest pouring water over their head) but without any particular allegiance to their religion of birth. Then there are people of other faiths, each faith being a set. Then people of no religion, a set too.

The question of all of these people (as individuals not because of the set they occupy) is whether or not they fulfill God's criteria for "admittance to heaven" (see my post a couple above about where it is folk who "go to heaven" will actually reside.

Those who do fulfill his criteria will, in my view, come from all of the sets and so the Venn diagram will see all sets overlap to a degree (depending on how many from each set fulfill God's criteria for entrance to heaven). Not everyone from every set will go to heaven, just those who fulfill the criteria.

Abraham, for example, wasn't a Christian and he's "going to heaven.

I don't think it matters that you don't get anything from mass. I don't even think it matters whether you think you're going to heaven or not. I dont' think it matters if you've every heard of Jesus Christ hung on a cross. Abraham didn't.

I dont' think it matters if you've every heard of Jesus Christ hung on a cross. Abraham didn't.

Seriously? Of course it matters! We've discussed this before. If it didnt matter, then Christians would not have been called to go and make disciples of every nation. If it didnt matter then Christians would be doing everyone a favour by not sharing the Good News with them, and thereby assuring them of salvation by a God they have never heard of!

homer911 wrote: »
    Seriously? Of course it matters!

It didn't matter to Abraham. Or Adam and Eve (in the event they were saved subsequent to their fall). Are you suggesting a different method of salvation for different people at different times? That somehow salvation was closed to all of those prior to the time when the post-Jesus Christian message propagated itself? This doesn't tally with the Old Testament.

There is, I gather, only one way of salvation. Presumably this applies before, during and after the period Christ walked the earth
    We've discussed this before. If it didnt matter, then Christians would not have been called to go and make disciples of every nation.

A disciple is one who follows Jesus' way (definition: A disciple is a follower and student of a mentor, teacher, or other figure). Following his way needn't have anything to do with the point of actual salvation. It didn't have anything to do with mine. Or yours. Discipleship is subsequent to, not a precursor of, your salvation. I mean, why would you follow Jesus before you were saved? Are you not dead to God, blind? Blind people can't see to follow.

It's the drumbeat of scripture that some folk had their eyes opened to who Jesus was, such as to believe what he said. And that others didn't. It was them first believing that produced (and undergirds the logic for) following.

Opening of eyes is what occurs at salvation. Of course, the experience of eyes opened will produce different reactions depending on what is there in front of those eyes once opened. To those eyes opened and before whom information on Jesus is given, the eyes will immediately respond in recognising what before them is true. For those eyes opened but before whom there is no/insufficient information, the understanding can't be anything but hazy, partial, less certain.
    If it didn't matter then Christians would be doing everyone a favour by not sharing the Good News with them, and thereby assuring them of salvation by a God they have never heard of!

I'm not saying that folk will become saved by not hearing. The mechanism of salvation just doesn't require that someone be told the message. I think there's a significant difference (to the individual) to be aware of their salvation in a way that provides concrete information (i.e. being told specific information that they have been equipped, through eye opening, to see) and not be aware of it (i.e. not be exposed to the message and so reside in hazy, partial, less certain space)

• Advertisement

Have you heard of the New Covenant?

Hebrews 8: 7-13, Jeremiah 31:31-34

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Covenant#Christian_view

Advertisement