Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*noob* New PC Build, no idea where to start *noob*

Options
  • 02-09-2015 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

Sorry.........totally noob question here.

I'm trying to build a PC with these componants as a miniumum

CPU choices, high speed (3GHz+) quad core or better - e.g. Intel Core i7 3770k, Intel Core i7 3960X, AMD FX-8350

Motherboard and RAM, -Motherboard Depends on CPU - Comparison at newegg.com RAM should be circa 32Gb

Video card (GPU),- Something similiar to Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 - avoid SLI and Crossfire - (we do not need/want a dual gpu)

Case + power supply,- Something with space for expansion, e.g. cooler master HAF 932, power supply - oversize by circa 25%, must have its own fans

Storage (hard drives, SSDs)  - two drives, standard HD for storage this can be big (1TB) and a smaller SSD (circa 240) for quick access to libraries.

How do I start going about building this?
    Where can I get the parts I need?
    What will be the biggest stumbling blocks I'm likely to face?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Whats it for exactly. Budget.

Preferably use the forum template.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 locaoimh

locaoimh wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry.........totally noob question here.

I'm trying to build a PC with these componants as a miniumum

CPU choices, high speed (3GHz+) quad core or better - e.g. Intel Core i7 3770k, Intel Core i7 3960X, AMD FX-8350

Motherboard and RAM, -Motherboard Depends on CPU - Comparison at newegg.com RAM should be circa 32Gb

Video card (GPU),- Something similiar to Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 - avoid SLI and Crossfire - (we do not need/want a dual gpu)

Case + power supply,- Something with space for expansion, e.g. cooler master HAF 932, power supply - oversize by circa 25%, must have its own fans

Storage (hard drives, SSDs)  - two drives, standard HD for storage this can be big (1TB) and a smaller SSD (circa 240) for quick access to libraries.

How do I start going about building this?
    Where can I get the parts I need?
    What will be the biggest stumbling blocks I'm likely to face?

TEMPLATE!!

If you want to ask about a new PC build, please make a new thread and include as much of the following information as possible:

1. What is your budget? [€1500-€2000]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Video editing/3D Modelling/Game enviornment Dev
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [22']

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Don't Know]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 14 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Yes, Maybe Cork City]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Just to get you started, an example build from Amazon, getting close to maxing out your budget ~€1900

360937.PNG

Given your use i went for a 6 Core/12 Thread intel build which is overclockable (though havent included a 3rd party cooler, which you would need for overclocking).

You could save money on the cpu and motherboard by dropping down to a haswell or skylake build (4 core/8 thread). You will save more on haswell as the DDR3 ram is cheaper than the DDR4.

Cases are to personal taste, so could save money here or get a different one you prefer.

There are also cheaper monitors, i just like those dell, especially with the extra bit of vertical space they provide.

Amazon likely aren't the cheapest for a full build, but a good starting point to gauge pricing, and if they are close price wise to others their customer service is excellent.

Advertisement