Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to plant here

Options
  • 02-09-2015 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

I wondered what are my options to plant here; I wanted to find something that would provide colour all year round if at all possible. The area is about 70cm wide and 8 meters long and the wall is east facing and would be very sheltered from all sides. As the picture shows I have put down a membrane to stop the weeds growing up. Any recommendations appreciated. The suggestion by the gardener is to put in bamboo but I'm not a fan tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Bump

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Forest Flame/Silver Flame maybe? Pieris is the latin name I think. Basically colourful shrubs I'm told are easy to maintain. I've a few in pots ready to go into a similar narrow strip along my driveway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Chaenomeles are good for an east facing wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Would you think of heathers maybe.... Some nice purple and green ones would look nice up against the wall..

Or go down the route of succulents you could even pop some in the wall and let them take off..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's a nice wall! Shame to cover it completely. How about tucking some ferns into the cracks? The pieris and chaenomeles are good ideas too. Some Japanese anemones would look good - white/pink/purple. Very easy, a bit vigorous but would fill the space nicely, happy in any site, I have some east facing ones going great. Hostas another possibility.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the recommendations; is it a good time of year to start ?

looksee wrote: »
    That's a nice wall! Shame to cover it completely. How about tucking some ferns into the cracks? The pieris and chaenomeles are good ideas too. Some Japanese anemones would look good - white/pink/purple. Very easy, a bit vigorous but would fill the space nicely, happy in any site, I have some east facing ones going great. Hostas another possibility.

Any pics looksee ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Ground cover cotoneaster, some colourful dogwood, we have yellow, red, orange, plum and black.
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=heuchera&client=safari&hl=en-gb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAWoVChMIyPD7spztxwIVwq7bCh2cbwCn&biw=1024&bih=622#hl=en-gb&tbm=isch&q=dogwood+stems

It's a nice space, some lovely grasses would work well, you have a myriad of choices depending on how much time you want to spend on it, how much colour you would need,

Would you consider a kitchen garden of herbs or would they be used? I recommend camomile, love the scent off the flowers, and you can make lovely tea with them.

is a good time to be planting spring colour now, Aldi have a wide range of bulbs,

And if you do decide on heather, make sure you Have the right soil, as some need acidic whilst there's don't.

I envy you your project!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

You have to have a look at heuchera's. We bought a marmalade one recently for the collection

http://www.google.ie/search?q=heuchera&client=safari&hl=en-gb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAWoVChMIyPD7spztxwIVwq7bCh2cbwCn&biw=1024&bih=622

I love bamboo, but only for hiding areas like compost heaps, they take a while to settle but can grow huge, you would not have that space as it would just grow high, you need texture with various heights as opposed to a wall of bamboo,

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KayPea

If it is a nice sheltered spot, a small Acer Palmatum would look lovely. Especially one of the ones that form a drooping mound like Inaba Shidare, or Dissectum 'Viridis'

Thanks for all the recommendations; is it a good time of year to start ?

Any pics looksee ?

Ah, now, well...I said I had Japanese Anemones going great, which they are, I did not say that the particular bed would stand up to being photographed and exhibited! The flowers there are pink, I have some in the back (south facing and sheltered, which are white, and I saw some in a garden centre recently which were a gorgeous dark pink, they would all look lovely against the grey. They are all easy, hardy and a bit inclined to be invasive, which would not matter in your particular situation.

Any of the suggestions made here (apart from the bamboo) would be great, its a lovely project! I envy you that wall. Just as a matter of interest what is happening at the top, it seems to be set back and have some loose stones on it?

Yes, its a good time to put in plants, pot grown plants you can really put in anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

I bought a variegated hebe that has a sort of purple tint to the leaves that might be worth considering. It is said not to grow very big so could still allow you to see the wall.

The standard green variety of hebe is also nice with a good show of blue flowers at times.

The other evergreen shrup I have planted for all year colour that I think would be worth considering is pittosporum. The pale green and white leaf edged variety I bought is looking good but some varieties might get too big for the planting area in the photo.

If you are considering planting in the wall I have found alpine thyme as well as normal thyme to do well. I got a silver leafed variety of alpine thyme that has done better than the Doon valey yellow leaf variety which has been less vigorous.

I love pittosporum but had to cut down a lovely specimen as it was just too big for the garden, it was heading for full size tree!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Thats a lovely piece of stonewor,beautifull in fact.
    Its calling out for small ferns to be placed into the sides of the walls inbetween the stones to make it look more natural.Also some small trailing ivys would look well.They wont grow too quick or spread too much,but it will add some interest

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

plus one on the japanese acers if its a sheltered area,i have 5 in between some bamboos and they look lovely ,a fantastic specimen.crimson prince is what i have.

bazbrady wrote: »
    plus one on the japanese acers if its a sheltered area,i have 5 in between some bamboos and they look lovely ,a fantastic specimen.crimson prince is what i have.

Sounds great; any pics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

here you go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 smartgardener

Hydrangea

Guys, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.. Its a great list of options... @bazbrady, great acers, I have 2 planted since the summer in the front of the house but looking forward to seeing them next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Don't over-do it with huge shrubs though -because that stone wall is beautiful!

Advertisement