Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update iPad 3 to iOS8.1.4

• 02-09-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had installed the latest update on the iPad 3 and if they have noticed any problems/improvements??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

I have done it, and it works ok, but is (just) noticeably slower than a 7.x version.

PS: I tried the iOS9 beta on it, and it was really slow and awful - might have been the beta nature of it, or it could be that 9 is never going to be smooth on such an old device.

I'm running 8.3.something on it at the mo which is a vast improvement from the earlier versions of iOS 8 but still a bit sluggish.

I'm hoping to find out if it is worth downloading 8.4.1 prior to iOS9 coming out cos I am def not going to upgrading to that! The iPad 3 just won't be able for it.

Well, in that case, I'd say that it's fine - all 8.x versions are slower than 7.x, but 8.1.4 is ok - go ahead (but save a backup, as is good practice).

PS: Yes, I won't be moving to 9.x either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

8.4.1 on my iPad 3, not seeing any problems. I thought that iOS9 was going to be OK on this iPad.

• Advertisement

JonMac wrote: »
    I thought that iOS9 was going to be OK on this iPad.

Well, the general release of 9.x might be ok, but the beta I tried was causing jerky screen animations, and 1-second pauses in switching and launching apps and changing screens etc.

Remember also that a lot of the new 9.x features like split screen won't be available on older hardware anyway.

I'd hold off and see what the consensus on the web is like before updating.

Has anyone tried iOS9 on iPad3 yet? I've heard rumours that it actually improves performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

My iPad3 is running fine on iOS9; can't comment about better/worse.

Advertisement