Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Shock absorber refurbishment service...

• 02-09-2015 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a shock refurb for my MT-01, anyone recommend a company out there?

Google search provides me with this crowd in Cork http://www.vmtek.ie/index.php

Anyone had any dealings with them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

When I rang him to ask about a shock rebuild he wasn't able to rebuild mine, but was willing to sell me a new Wilbers.
    Not sure if he rebuilds stock KYB/Showa shocks or just Wilbers
    To me rebuilding a monoshock is all the same whether its a wilbers or an other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

CJhaughey wrote: »
    When I rang him to ask about a shock rebuild he wasn't able to rebuild mine, but was willing to sell me a new Wilbers.
    Not sure if he rebuilds stock KYB/Showa shocks or just Wilbers
    To me rebuilding a monoshock is all the same whether its a wilbers or an other.

The thing about rebuilding shocks is, some of them are more rebuildable than others. For example, most Ohlins and Maxton units are designed to be rebuildable with plenty of parts that can be swapped out and/or upgraded. With lower-end shocks, typically the ones fitted to cheaper bikes and some OEM units, the only thing to do with them is gut them, leaving nothing but the metal tube, and fit a half-decent cartridge kit. In your case I expect that Paul would have reasoned that that was getting pretty near to the price of a brand-new Wilbers unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

I rang a load of places about getting my shock rebuilt, they all said it couldn't be done and that if it could the results were patchy at best, in the end I sprang for a new Wilbers that's designed to be rebuilt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Old shocks are simple beasts and a Schrader valve fitted and new oil is all that I needed to be done, no bladder or shim stack alterations needed.
    If a shock re-oil and gas is the same price as a new basic Wilbers then I'll just DIY it.
    K-tech in the UK sell all the parts you need to do it yourself, the only thing I don't have is nitrogen @120+psi, but a decent bicycle pump will get you in the ball park using air instead.

If I was buying a new one, YSS is where I'd start and maybe The Shock Factory if I was feeling flush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Old shocks are simple beasts and a Schrader valve fitted and new oil is all that I needed to be done, no bladder or shim stack alterations needed...

Maybe the bicycle-pump would have better damping. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I used a company in NI, County Down AFAIR, to refurb a bmw shock. I'd have to look for the invoice - I don't recall the name. They actually fitted a schrader valve to the top of the shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Thanks for all the replies lads, opted for a used one on eBay.de for €85...result :D

Now I can refurbish the spare shock at my leisure ;)

Advertisement