Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Software Engineer - what salary should I be expecting?

Options
  • 02-09-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm just starting to look for a graduate software engineering job (java / data science). What starting salary should I be expecting?

I've heard that the top tech companies pay around 40k, is this true does anyone know?

Somebody else told me 25k is the average.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ec18

The range would pretty much be as you were pointed to. The 40K at a top tech company more than likely for masters/phd grads or someone who is particularily gifted.

When I started in Dublin it was 28K, based on that 25k is probably the average outside dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

25k-30k would be a ball park, every company is different. haven't heard of anyone offering 40k for fresh-blood out of college unless under exceptional circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

25-30k would be what people I know got this year. 28k being the most common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

RobertKK wrote:
    A lot of countries are responsible for the refugee crisis, the UK, France, USA, Ireland and most of Europe in general...

23k to 25k is the number in my place of work for new entrants. Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

haven't heard of anyone offering 40k for fresh-blood out of college unless under exceptional circumstances.

I have interviewed graduates for a few different companies. Never heard of a graduate getting paid €40K. Degree level graduates get €25K, masters level get €28K and phd level graduates get €32K where I am now. You would need to have a few years experience under your belt to get paid €40K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

I know one of the larger multinationals in Dublin were paying 32k, anything from 25+, if you find a decent job even for 25k stick with it for a year, getting a good start will see that rise quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I started off on 25k + bonus, offers I saw were between 20k-33k. Worry about getting a good job than good money at the start anyway, mine more than doubled within a couple years so it doesn't really matter as much as getting somewhere where you get good experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Hey,

I'm recruiting for grad software developers (on and off) Salaries range from 25K-35K for Dublin and Galway.
    Galway would probably top out at 32K for someone excellent.

If you're good, 2:1, with solid OOP skills and you had a good final year project, there's no reason you can't get 30K.

My best grad placement got 36K. Maths degree, conversion masters in Software Dev, lovely software dev role in a really good company in Dublin.

I'd echo Tar up there - get in somewhere that will treat you well, mentor and train you, and where you'll learn new skills. The money will come in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DataGrad15

Thanks all. There seems to be a good few jobs out there so fingers crossed. If anyone recommends any particular companies that would be great.

thanks again

Advertisement