Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.P.H.E first year intro class

Options
  • 02-09-2015 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I'm new to S.PH.E and have been given a first year class for the year. Any ideas from more experienced teachers in this particular subject area on a nice introductory class to get us started? Any thoughts/ideas appreciated!

Míle Buíochas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hermia

Maybe some name games as a start. Or get them to make a little "identity passport". Name, age, primary school, likes, dislikes, hopes for the year, what they like about the school so far, what's been difficult etc. Get them to share with the person next to them and then that person has to introduce them to the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Comhairleoir

It depends on your experience. If experienced, go with above. If less experienced, SPHE can be a difficult class to discipline in some schools. I'd keep them writing and quiet early in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Just like any other class have your discipline rules in place and stick to them. Don't threaten outlandish whole class punishments etc. Personally I start with the identity passport as described. Next class do the class rules and do a nice poster and have it up at all times. Be mindful to keep it positive not negative. So use do's not don't.
    After that I get them to open their timetable and check everyone knows the teachers name for each subject - it's amazing after 2/3 weeks the amount of names they don't know and by that stage are too embarrassed to ask what the name is. Be mindful how you do this not to cause anyone any embarrassment. It's handy to do this before house exams too. TThen I do the school layout - would you know how to get to the principals office from here? Where is the secretary's office? What's the quickest route to your next class? What you do if ..... X happened

Meant to add - get them to get a document folder with a button close and keep their folders copies and books in a box in your room because they'll torment you otherwise with forgetting stuff. I also get them to write the date, class title & learning outcomes into their copy every class even if they don't use their copies any more in that class. It helps them keep a structure to the class. And is great in case of inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Hi all,

I'm new to S.PH.E and have been given a first year class for the year. Any ideas from more experienced teachers in this particular subject area on a nice introductory class to get us started? Any thoughts/ideas appreciated!

Míle Buíochas.

Enjoy the sphe first year experience, by second and third year it becomes a lost cause.

• Advertisement

Enjoy the sphe first year experience, by second and third year it becomes a lost cause.

Not my experience - it's totally what you make of it. It does take a lot of forward planning in my experience and getting the additional resources you need in good my time requires thinking ahead all the time but I've had some great 3rd year classes for example. Resources vary from school to school though and from teacher to teacher some teachers have a great bank of resorcinol and ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Get each child their own folder. Put all handouts etc in there.

Get yourself the sphe books. Lots to work off there.

Walking debates work very very well usually. Pm me if you don't know how they work.

Intro class I always do; a4 page, divide into 12-16 boxes. Write a question in each - number of siblings, main hobby, favourite food etc etc etc

Kids go around and have to get an answer from a different person for each box.. Has to be every second one boy girl, boy girl.
    Great way to get to know each other and you to get to know them.

Ask for feedback from each pupil - e.g. What's the 2 most interesting answers you got etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LadyGaeilge

Thanks folks! Some great suggestions there and lots to try out. Hopefully will get even more ideas at SPHE Intro conference days. They're a great class so would like to do lots of activities with them. Would love to know more about Walking Debates Chancer3001, thanks for the advice all!

Not my experience - it's totally what you make of it. It does take a lot of forward planning in my experience and getting the additional resources you need in good my time requires thinking ahead all the time but I've had some great 3rd year classes for example. Resources vary from school to school though and from teacher to teacher some teachers have a great bank of resorcinol and ideas

Any school ive been in, its the opposite, ends up as a study class by 3rd year, students have no interest and teachers want to pawn it off to the newbies as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I have taught SPHE on and off over the years, I really enjoy teaching it and always try to get as much interaction as possible. It never turns into a study class or turns into a lost cause. Maybe it depends on the students you are dealing with....maybe it depends on you the teacher. It never gets pawned off on new teachers...everyone teaching it in my school is there long term and treats the subject with respect !!

• Advertisement

solerina wrote: »
    I have taught SPHE on and off over the years, I really enjoy teaching it and always try to get as much interaction as possible. It never turns into a study class or turns into a lost cause. Maybe it depends on the students you are dealing with....maybe it depends on you the teacher. It never gets pawned off on new teachers...everyone teaching it in my school is there long term and treats the subject with respect !!

Glad it works for you. Have my doubts about the 'respect' for the subject. If it wasn't mandatory, it would be gone the way of cspe in the new if reforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

It isn't mandatory really.

The new cj guidelines, barely any subject is actually "mandatory" outside Irish, English, maths

Advertisement