Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative Championship

• 02-09-2015 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

I had an idea for an alternative championship structure. Its by no means perfect, but thought I would throw it out there.

For the purposes of discussion new I am not including New York and London. There may be a way of including them, but I am just trying to introduce a simple structure to get the ball rolling!

1. Scrap the league.

Use 5 year average seedings (like ones done by a poster who does up his own GAA inter county seedings, cant find link!) to seed each county.

Between Feb - April- Championship Qualifiers
    4 Groups with 8 teams and OPEN DRAW (seedings aside)- one round of games

Seedings

Top 8 Teams - 2 in each group
    The next 9-16 - 2 in each group
    Teams 17th - 25th - 2 in each group
    Teams 25th - 32nd - 2 in each group

Teams go into A or B Championship played Between July and August

Top 4 teams in each group goes into the "premier Championship" that starts in July, the bottom 4 teams go into "the Championship" that starts alongside it and runs concurrently but as a separate tournament.

if you make it Knockout, teams will have 4 games including the Final. Sept - January is for club games/championships.

Provincial Championships

These will be played between May to End of June. Any draws will goto Extra time, replays within a week.

Motivation for all teams to win because performance in Provincial could boost their seedings in knockouts of Championship rounds coming and next years seeding.

So senior football is important all year around and all games are relevant and every team gets a chance to get into the "A" championship every year!

I understand there are issues to iron out (club games/championships etc), but in terms of spectacle you wouldn't be having to wait until August until you see big guns face each other!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ha, Looks like I was close enough to the mark with the GPA!

Advertisement