Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Bilingual Children

Options
  • 02-09-2015 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm looking at meeting up with a few other French parents and children around the area of West Wicklow/ South Dublin/ Kildare/ Carlow area. We live around Blessington and would love my little 9 months old girl to make French friends outside of her family in France!
    Would love to organise playdate with activities for the kids!

If anyone knows of a group already meeting up in the area would love to know about it! I'm quite keen on make sure my little one is bilingual.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭CiboC

Are you both French or just one of you?

You should try to only speak to her in French, without exception. If only one parent is French have that parent only speak French and the other English (or whatever their native language is).

There is a French school in Foxrock in Dublin (www.lfi.ie). Many French parents or mixed families send their kids there and many will have younger siblings at home. Try to see if there is something through that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dotty27

Thank you very much for the info.
    My husband is Irish, but since she is born I have only been speaking French with her.
    I'll have a look at the French school in Foxrock.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dotty27 wrote: »
    Thank you very much for the info.
    My husband is Irish, but since she is born I have only been speaking French with her.
    I'll have a look at the French school in Foxrock.
    Thank you
    My niece and nephew go there and the really like, my brother in law is French and they speak both languages to the kids. There pretty fluent in both languages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Hi Dotty,

We are an Irish/French family now living in France. We lived in Ireland until my elder daughter was 6 and that was when we moved.

She spoke no French except to my wife really and when we went on holidays to France. However, when we arrived in France, she spoke French fluently.

So in our experience, the French parent is enough - so long as you speak exclusively French to her.

The other side to this is that as time went on, my wife was less inclined to speak French and so our younger daughter didn't really have as much French when we landed and she was a bit lost. So perhaps for this reason, it's good to have some French support.

Advertisement