Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glendalough OW Swim

Options
  • 02-09-2015 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Anyone going this year? Always a great place to swim.
    Going long on the Sunday this year for the first time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 keithbrowne1

I was hoping to do the long distance but it was sold out unfortunately but swam in Glendalough last year doing beast of the east and it was super.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Did this the last two years, thought I had an entry to this but apparently not. Long distance was sold out by the time I checked. Ah well. :)

Friend I was supposed to be doing it with is entered so may cycle out to watch. Savage place to swim but the water was freezing last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I'm in for the 1500
    I did the Lough Key and Hodson Bay too. Nice set of races, very low key and no pressure but good OW practice

• Registered Users Posts: 8 collyd1

Hi folks, mind if I but in here.
    I'm doing the 750m swim tomorrow. 1st time to ever do an open water swim. Jeez I'm so so nervous. Is there anyone else doing this one

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

collyd1 wrote: »
    I'm doing the 750m swim tomorrow. 1st time to ever do an open water swim. Jeez I'm so so nervous. Is there anyone else doing this one

Yeah I'm down to do the 750, doing it with 2 sister inlaws and its their first open water swim too. Wanted to do the 1500 after it but they were charging me full whack so said I'd give it a miss then

• Advertisement

pot p wrote: »
    Yeah I'm down to do the 750, doing it with 2 sister inlaws and its their first open water swim too. Wanted to do the 1500 after it but they were charging me full whack so said I'd give it a miss then

Wow are Ya serious. That's some amount of swimming. You'd think they give a discount for doing both

Wow are Ya serious. That's some amount of swimming. You'd think they give a discount for doing both

That's what I thought but they said that due to restrictions on numbers that they had to charge full rate

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Best of luck. Start at the back and try to relax, if you get panicky just flip onto your back for a minute or else throw in a couple of breast strokes. Most first time OW swims start badly so don't worry if that's the case, just stay calm. And keep breathing!

They do a discount for their other swims but not for Glendalough because of the huge numbers attending.

Second the advice to start at the back.
    These are some of the nicest races you'll do, nothing like the washing machine you hear about.
    Very, very friendly and very safe.
    If this is your first open water swim take your time
    Get your face in as soon as possible and be assured that the shock of cold and shortness of breath will pass.
    Swim your own race and don't worry about what others are doing.
    The kayakers are there to help point you in the right direction, give you somewhere to rest if you need it or tow you back to shore if you don't feel up to it
    I was paddy last in the Hodson Bay Mile but still enjoyed it
    Good luck tomorrow!

Well how did ta get on?? I thought it was a nice race, very friendly and what can u say about the location only spectacular

• Advertisement

pot p wrote: »
    Well how did ta get on?? I thought it was a nice race, very friendly and what can u say about the location only spectacular

How are Ya. OMG I had a MARE at the start. Completely panicked. Sensory overload and couldnt breath so called a safety guy over. Only for him I wads out. He was amazing. Timed at 29.something mins.

Race was so lovely though. Everyone was really nice and there to cheer on everyone. OMG glendalough lake was spectacular wasn't it. Am already looking forward to next year.

How did you and your sisters get on

Thank you radharc & and still ricky villa for your messages. I've only just seen them now. It started off just awful lol. Really knocked my confidence. So unexpected. But I didn't quit and for me that's the important thing. I'm already considering the 1500 next year. But the open water training will start Monday evening

How are Ya. OMG I had a MARE at the start. Completely panicked. Sensory overload and couldnt breath so called a safety guy over. Only for him I wads out. He was amazing. Timed at 29.something mins.

Race was so lovely though. Everyone was really nice and there to cheer on everyone. OMG glendalough lake was spectacular wasn't it. Am already looking forward to next year.

How did you and your sisters get on

Yeah they both did well and are on a high, already planning next years swims. I'm trying to convince them to do the fjord swim in October

Well done Colly. As a motivation story I did the 750m in Hodson Bay last year and it was a total ordeal, think I was last one in but one.

Did the 1500m this morning in just under 29 minutes, it is unbelievable the progress that you can make in this sport.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

That was a grand swim this morning. Cool but enjoyably so. Slow for me but no train, no gain :)

Oryx wrote: »
    That was a grand swim this morning. Cool but enjoyably so. Slow for me but no train, no gain :)

Well Done Oryx. My brother did it today as well. he too said it was a lovely swim

Did the 1500 yesterday and loved the atmosphere. These races should be compulsory for anyone getting into OW.
    Sadly I had a bit of a panic in the first few hundred.
    Can't put my finger on it, just couldn't find a rhythm, breathing or stroke.
    First time that's happened since my first attempt at swimming in the sea. Miles swam since and loads of races without a bother.
    Anyway, went as far as asking a kayak to bring me to shore but he talked me round and I pulled myself together and completed the course.
    I'm never gonna threaten the leaders but finished in a half decent time for me
    Looking forward to next year

Fair play still Ricky villa. You pulled it back and got stuck back in. Nothin worse than the panics. Fair play. Am looking forward to next year too. I myself now know I need to do a hell of a lot of open water training. Starts Monday evening in seapoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Fourth year in a row doing this. 1:12 for the 3.9 this morning in perfect conditions. Delighted with that for my first OW crack at the distance. Next year: sub60.

If anyone hung around for the awards, the same young girl won the 750, 1.5 AND the 3.9; way to make us all feel old and slow!

cjt156 wrote: »
    Fourth year in a row doing this. 1:12 for the 3.9 this morning in perfect conditions. Delighted with that for my first OW crack at the distance. Next year: sub60.

If anyone hung around for the awards, the same young girl won the 750, 1.5 AND the 3.9; way to make us all feel old and slow!

Well done on the time. That's epic stuff. Wow that's some feat for the girl. Fair play to her. How old was she.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Late teens, I would have said.

She's 15! At least she was when she won both races in Lough Kee in June
    Look out for Ciara Doran in Rio next year

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

any results for this, have my own time but friend did it and was a bit panikced and missed the clock on way out

jester1980 wrote: »
    any results for this, have my own time but friend did it and was a bit panikced and missed the clock on way out

The results are up on Facebook now

Looks like I've yet to finish the 1500. No time for me.
    I'm slow but c'mon........

Advertisement