Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

California July 2016

Options
  • 02-09-2015 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi all,

Planning a few weeks in California next summer. (very early I know but I am eager :)) Have looked at a few threads here but many of them are old. Just looking for some general information on:

Accomodation - should we use Air BnB?
    Flights - whens best to book them?
    Travel - better to rent a car or use public transport.
    Main spots to visit.?

We are thinking about starting in san diego and making our way up to san fran stopping off at all the main spots along the way or would some recommend a different route?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

How many are travelling? Book flights as soon as they are released if travelling peak time. I booked my flights 330 days beforehand and flights only ever got more expensive. Happy to answer any questions as did similar route summer 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Rent a car!

Public transport outside of cities is a joke - a car will let you explore where ever you want to go.

If you need tips etc for San Francisco let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Yosemite is amazing if you're into nature, hiking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Rashers72 wrote: »
    How many are travelling? Book flights as soon as they are released if travelling peak time. I booked my flights 330 days beforehand and flights only ever got more expensive. Happy to answer any questions as did similar route summer 2015.

I am not 100% sure but could be as many as 6/7. So you think we should book flights asap? Where did ye start is prob the main question? North and make yer way down or south and make yer way up or totally different?
    Rent a car!

Public transport outside of cities is a joke - a car will let you explore where ever you want to go.

If you need tips etc for San Francisco let me know!

Awesome thanks. Do you have to be 25 and over to rent a car? And would we get a seven seater or do you know? We plan on being in San fran for 3-4 days so any tips would be great. Main things to do?
    bee06 wrote: »
    Yosemite is amazing if you're into nature, hiking etc

Yosemite has been on my bucket list for quite a long time. It looks amazing :) However is it quite a bit away from the major cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I would start north and make your way down south, that way, if you're taking Highway 1 (which you most definitely should!) you'll be on the road closer to the ocean and get the best view.

You don't have to be over 25 to rent a car, but you will have to pay extra for it. Possibly some places won't if no one in the group is <25 but I've never come across it. Someone here may have more experience.

How many days do you have total for this trip? Your route/stops will depend on that. You could do Yosemite for a few days after SF and cut across to the 1 then head south. There are a good few sites to see on the way down. One of my favourites is Hearst's Castle. Maybe stop to see Hollywood/LA then spend a few days in San Diego. If you come up with a very specific plan and can stick with it then you can book places in advance. However, it might be easier to just stop at hotels along the way. IMO most airbnbs aren't worth it unless you're staying 2+ nights.

• Advertisement

lil_lisa wrote: »

How many days do you have total for this trip? Your route/stops will depend on that. You could do Yosemite for a few days after SF and cut across to the 1 then head south. There are a good few sites to see on the way down. One of my favourites is Hearst's Castle. Maybe stop to see Hollywood/LA then spend a few days in San Diego. If you come up with a very specific plan and can stick with it then you can book places in advance. However, it might be easier to just stop at hotels along the way. IMO most airbnbs aren't worth it unless you're staying 2+ nights.

Thanks for your reply. Ah the thinking is around 3 weeks so 20 days possible. Definitely not shorter than 17 days to be exact. Is that enough?

I think we will make a plan and stick to it. We know we wanna be in LA for certain dates so we will try work around that also. The car situation sounds good thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    Yosemite has been on my bucket list for quite a long time. It looks amazing :) However is it quite a bit away from the major cities?

Yosemite is about a 4 hour drive from SF. We spent 4 days there and felt like we did everything we wanted in that time. We didn't do any of the super strenuous hikes tho.

bee06 wrote: »
    Yosemite is about a 4 hour drive from SF. We spent 4 days there and felt like we did everything we wanted in that time. We didn't do any of the super strenuous hikes tho.

I would love to do those hikes but Im not sure if I could convince my friends. Maybe 2-3 days would be enough in Yosemite.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

AFAIK, if you want to stay in Yosemite it gets booked up very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'd suggest a loop which saves car hire fees for dropping off at another location.

SF 4/5 days
    PCH/HWY1 1/2 days stop off for Hearst Castle and perhaps Monterrey
    LA 3 days
    San Diego 2 days
    Vegas 3/4 days
    Yosemite 2/3 days
    SF 1 day
    and maybe a day in the desert/Grand Canyon/somewhere else

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    I'd suggest a loop which saves car hire fees for dropping off at another location.

SF 4/5 days
    PCH/HWY1 1/2 days stop off for Hearst Castle and perhaps Monterrey
    LA 3 days
    San Diego 2 days
    Vegas 3/4 days
    Yosemite 2/3 days
    SF 1 day
    and maybe a day in the desert/Grand Canyon/somewhere else

That seems like a great plan thanks for your reply. Have you done this route yourself. Would you see SF as the place we should spend the most time?

I've done a version without San Diego and I loved it and will do it again with some variations and for longer.

SF is the best city on that route in my opinion which is affected by the fact that I have friends there and a free bed very near Haight Ashbury. There's loads to do and see there and the weather is the least oppressive during summer months.

If you do decide a route like above have a search for threads here. Myself, iusedtoknow and InTheTrees in particular have loads of helpful posts on the various routes and attractions threads in this and the Travel forums.

I've done a version without San Diego and I loved it and will do it again with some variations and for longer.

SF is the best city on that route in my opinion which is affected by the fact that I have friends there and a free bed very near Haight Ashbury. There's loads to do and see there and the weather is the least oppressive during summer months.

If you do decide a route like above have a search for threads here. Myself, iusedtoknow and InTheTrees in particular have loads of helpful posts on the various routes and attractions threads in this and the Travel forums.

Thanks again. I think this route would suit us very well. What way is best to search. I tried just typing in California but the threads were 5-6 years old. Just got to get planning. What did you use for accommodation or did you just wing it?

Motels on the road all pre-booked. Hotel for Vegas. I was on my own and only wanted a clean bed and shower, nothing fancy, so it was cheap enough.

Thanks a million that will be great help. I doubt we will be after anything too fancy either. Like you said we will just be using thse places for leaving our stuff, showering and sleeping.

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    I

Awesome thanks. Do you have to be 25 and over to rent a car? And would we get a seven seater or do you know? We plan on being in San fran for 3-4 days so any tips would be great. Main things to do?

There are no age restrictions for the most part on renting cars, however if you are renting "muscle cars" then you will pay a premium on top of the rental if you're under 25.

A 7 seater probably means a SUV or minivan type thing - probably won't be the cheapest but between all of you should be grand.

As for SF - don't call it San Fran - it annoys the locals :D...it's either san francisco or the city

For things to do? It's a small city but there is a lot going on.

1. The mission district - great area for bars/restaurants. Burrito's are the thing to get here. El farolito is my favorite. Deloros Park is a great place to meet people and people watch

2. Golden Gate Park. A huge city park stretching 50 blocks (from the end of Haight Street) right down to the pacific ocean - great place to cycle or walk through. A couple of museums but a nice place to sit as well.

3. Alcatraz. Fun to go to...book the night tour if you can - it's creepy as hell and a lot less crowded

The weather: don't expect warm summer temperatures. June-> August are our the cooler months in the city itself. Fog usually sits on the city for much of the day and the temperatures rarely get out of the teens. Most people dress in layers as the weather can change quickly, or even from area to area (my area..the sunset is cold and foggy but the mission can be 5c warmer and sunny)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

There are no age restrictions for the most part on renting cars, however if you are renting "muscle cars" then you will pay a premium on top of the rental if you're under 25.

A 7 seater probably means a SUV or minivan type thing - probably won't be the cheapest but between all of you should be grand.

As for SF - don't call it San Fran - it annoys the locals :D...it's either san francisco or the city

For things to do? It's a small city but there is a lot going on.

1. The mission district - great area for bars/restaurants. Burrito's are the thing to get here. El farolito is my favorite. Deloros Park is a great place to meet people and people watch

2. Golden Gate Park. A huge city park stretching 50 blocks (from the end of Haight Street) right down to the pacific ocean - great place to cycle or walk through. A couple of museums but a nice place to sit as well.

3. Alcatraz. Fun to go to...book the night tour if you can - it's creepy as hell and a lot less crowded

The weather: don't expect warm summer temperatures. June-> August are our the cooler months in the city itself. Fog usually sits on the city for much of the day and the temperatures rarely get out of the teens. Most people dress in layers as the weather can change quickly, or even from area to area (my area..the sunset is cold and foggy but the mission can be 5c warmer and sunny)

If you end up near Twin Peaks , it's worth a trip for the great view of the city.

Very touristy but you have to go to Pier 39/Fishermans wharf (can do it the same day as your planning to go to Alcatraz also...if for nothing else than to see the seals)

SF, is somewhere where you just park up your rental car and use public transport for the time you are there.
    I stayed out in Noe Valley last year, a little further from the city than I had planned but really safe and pleasant place with lots good transport - Never used the car at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Definitely rent a car. Be warned that the price of parking in San Francisco is really high (as is accommodation) so factor in this when calculating when to hire a car etc.

Yosemite is amazing. Make sure you spend a few days here. The in park accommodation books up very fast, it could even be booked up for next summer already so plan ahead. An alternate is to try a town called Lee Vining just outside one of the park's East entrances. It's also very close to Mono Lake which is beatiful. There is one bar in the town and it closes at 10pm but the locals are worth getting to know.

California is large so enjoy the driving. The Pacific Highway is great but usually takes longer than you expect as everyone drives it quite leisurely. I've travelled it both northbound and southbound and it really doesn't matter which option you take.

Along the route there is a town called Cambria that's worth a stop. I've had many a decent pint and banter in Mozzi's saloon!

California is beautiful but the climate can vary from cold to hot even city to city!

If you're planning on hitting wine country do Sonoma rather than Napa. If you can stop in a town called Petaluma. It's like something from the 50's.

Regarding driving in the US they are strict on certain things. Obey the speed limit and always pull in when there is an emergency services vehicle driving on the road with its sirens on, even if it's on the other side of the road. Don't park in front of a fire hydrant. You won't see signs warning you but it's still a traffic offense.

You'll have a blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Certainly the night tour at alcatraz, really enjoyable and you can move around it at your own pace with the commentry headphones on

I liked universal in LA for the rides,enough to go again,theres a studio tour there too,youll see the sets of many movies
    The paramount studio tours are separate but good,quite a lot of filming there and famous faces
    About an hr south of LA,South of newport beach,theres a town called laguna beach,its a real surfy hippy spot,you might enjoy,including the durty burdy bar :D (it got that name for good reason..)
    But theres also some very fancy hotels worth going in for a look at the southern california posh ,have a beer in the Montage for example,the lobby lounge on a cliff has a viewing deck that has some views

Regarding speed limits, one lunatic driving with us,went over a 100mph and of course,siren blaring,the local sherrif was not impressed
    Quite a fine and his gun(the one with bullets) was out
    So dont do that

JackieChan wrote: »
    If you end up near Twin Peaks , it's worth a trip for the great view of the city.

SF, is somewhere where you just park up your rental car and use public transport for the time you are there.
    I stayed out in Noe Valley last year, a little further from the city than I had planned but really safe and pleasant place with lots good transport - Never used the car at all.
    +1 for Twins Peaks

Barely used the car too in SF. Public transport is good enough and the few taxis I got were good value. Parking is pain though and expensive in pay zones.
    faceman wrote: »
    Yosemite is amazing. Make sure you spend a few days here. The in park accommodation books up very fast, it could even be booked up for next summer already so plan ahead. An alternate is to try a town called Lee Vining just outside one of the park's East entrances. It's also very close to Mono Lake which is beatiful. There is one bar in the town and it closes at 10pm but the locals are worth getting to know.
    Lee Vinning - loved that spot. As well as Mono Lake (incl Panum Crater) there are the June and Grant Lakes Loop just south of Lee Vinning; Mammoth Lakes further south; Bodie Ghost Town about 30 mins north. Be aware that most National Parks have some sort of charge or another eg. iirc Mono Lake is $3, Yosemite $20 maybe going up to $30. If you have mates over there, see if you can borrow their National Parks Card if they have one; should get you some discounts. The drive from LV up to Tioga Pass and into and around the park is stunning.

Great memories too of that bar. The barman was relaxed, very relaxed iykwim. I was told closing was 10pm in summer and 9 off season (Oct - March/April or when the snow melts). The store shuts around the same time too though you can get provisions ie. beer in the gas station at the north end of town. Half the place shuts down for winter.

Be aware that Lee Vinning is at about 7000ft so can get quite cold at night. (Pick up a cheap fleece in Las Vegas)

Mariposa on the other side of Yosemite is fine as a base too with friendly locals and sheriff.
    California is large so enjoy the driving. The Pacific Highway is great but usually takes longer than you expect as everyone drives it quite leisurely. I've travelled it both northbound and southbound and it really doesn't matter which option you take.

Some tips for the PCH:
    Get a SatNav as you can easily miss some turns where other highways and HWY1 fork.
    Only travel during the day for safety and scenery.
    Obey the speed limits. It goes down to 15mph for good reason.
    Regarding driving in the US they are strict on certain things. Obey the speed limit and always pull in when there is an emergency services vehicle driving on the road with its sirens on, even if it's on the other side of the road. Don't park in front of a fire hydrant. You won't see signs warning you but it's still a traffic offense.

You'll have a blast.

Also avoid parking where the kerb is painted red which is a hydrant or other emergency services spot. There's also pulling in or stopping for school buses. Check out the local driving laws and procedures.

One thing I did notice re speed limits was when you cross the state line into Nevada was about half a dozen cars pulled over for speeding within a mile or three of the state line. Different laws in Nevada; get caught being naughty will get you a slap on the wrist in CA but deported on the next flight out in Nevada.

Lastly: Speed Limit Enforced by Aircraft signs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Make sure to take in Carmel,

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Sequoia national park is fantastic too. Both it and yosemite book up fast. Camping spots are good value though.
    Recommended Muir woods for the giant redwoods.
    Loved San Francisco!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Coming off the back of a 22 jaunt to the West Coast last year that took in 4 States I would recommend the following.
    We based in Santa Monica for Disney and Universal Studios, an enjoyable spot. Took in Malibu beach and pier.

We went south to Phoenix but stopped off in Palm Springs for a night, took in the cable car up to Mount San Jacinto, fabulous views from there.

Phoenix through to Prescott to Sedona to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon (will definitely plan more time here as there are trails and hikes)

From Grand Canyon through to Monument Valley (stay over at Gouldings Lodge)

There to Utah , Zion and Bryce canyons.

Las Vegas, cannot be bypassed, you should go there (go from South Rim of the Grand Canyon) The West Rim has the glass platform to look down into the Canyon.

Yosemite, we booked 4 nights in the Yosemite View lodge with river view. Took in the sights and the giant Sedona trees.

Then to San Fran for 4 nights, did drive and did day parking for 15 $ online. Do the Golden Gate, Alcatraz, the Prescidio and a must is the old cable car system.

One spot I would have and should have done is Santa Cruz but it was just too busy to get a night there, nice buzz.

Enjoy but book your accommodation for the top spots before mid Jan if July is your travel time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Fiskar wrote: »
    One spot I would have and should have done is Santa Cruz but it was just too busy to get a night there, nice buzz.

In Santa Cruz, dont miss:

http://www.mysteryspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

+1 for Twins Peaks

In SF,

Twin peaks view spot:

https://goo.gl/maps/MU4K5

Also Marin Headlands, go over GG bridge then take the first turn and head west:

https://goo.gl/maps/VgN7k

JackieChan wrote: »

The nickname for Noe is "Nappy valley" due to the amount of 30 somethings with kids. I actually like that area - close to the mission and the castro...but without the crime and late night parties of each

Thanks for all your replies. A lot to take in now. Just gotta get planning now. Thinking about going a bit earlier now to get the cheaper flights. Gonna fly to san fran. Defo renting a car. and we prob gonna leave out san diego.

Cant wait to see everything along the pacific highway. We are gonna allocate the 3 days we had planned in san diego to this probably.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

San Diego is amazing, I wouldn't skip it. It's such a fun city. You can go crazy in the Gaslamp or build a fire and have beers on the beach. It's beautiful there and people are great.
    It would be the place I'd allocate more time to, not less.
    I go there a few times a year and it never gets old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

www.usahostels.com

Stayed in them - they were fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Rent bikes in San Franscisco (Fishermans Wharf) and cycle over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito - it's beautiful. If you're going to SF, it can be quite cold (even in July), as cloud and mist descends on the city - Spring seems to be the time to see SF in it's glory.

Just as an aside, there are an overwhelming amount of homeless people in SF - we stayed near Union Square. I don't know if this is unique to the area we were in, but it was an eye-opener.

Alcatraz is a must-do! But book before you go!
    Enjoy!

Advertisement