Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lying auctioneers in this day and age

Options
  • 02-09-2015 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I recently heard a property near me came up for sale so I made a enquiry to the auctioneer which he replied the asking price was 340k and their was a offer in of 330k with huge interest.

The price was to high for me but I was talking to a friend that evening and he said the property was on daft.ie for the past few weeks with a asking of 280 turns out my friend knew the owner and asked him about the property,the owner had no contact from the auctioneer with any offers plus the owner said for a quick sale he would take 250.

Is this standard practice?I found it amazing the auctioneer is actually very well known and has a pretty big business.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I recently heard a property near me came up for sale so I made a enquiry to the auctioneer which he replied the asking price was 340k and their was a offer in of 330k with huge interest.

The price was to high for me but I was talking to a friend that evening and he said the property was on daft.ie for the past few weeks with a asking of 280 turns out my friend knew the owner and asked him about the property,the owner had no contact from the auctioneer with any offers plus the owner said for a quick sale he would take 250.

Is this standard practice?I found it amazing the auctioneer is actually very well known and has a pretty big business.

an auctioneer 'loose' with figures......

standard practice im afraid.

you should let the owner know what you were willing to offer and let him tear the auctioneer a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Thanks for reply,the owner knows and is pretty annoyed to say the least.
    Obviously the property market is so busy at the moment auctioneers can screw people

With modern technology and sites such as daft, I don't really see the point of auctioneers to sell private dwellings to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    With modern technology and sites such as daft, I don't really see the point of auctioneers to sell private dwellings to be honest.

The same could of been said in the boom, I could never see the need for them.

hexosan wrote: »
    The same could of been said in the boom, I could never see the need for them.

In the boom it was mainly new builds purchased and you couldn't get to them unless through a tied auctioneer.

When it's more existing dwellings like the current market, there's really no need for auctioneers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Another industry that is regulated you raise your concerns with property services regulator

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

would like this moved to the property forum? Please let the mods know
    By PM thanks

Advertisement