Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Bills - how much to expect

Options
  • 02-09-2015 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Looking for your advice/input. I know this has been done a few times but I can't see a recent post. Myself and my boyfriend are looking at a house to rent. It's lovely but a little more than we were thinking of. Anyway, we want to map out monthly expenses to have a good idea what to expect and if we can meet it before taking the plunge on this property. Also, I have a little girl so one more mouth to feed :)

Anyway I have it broken down like this:
    Bins - €16 pm
    Electricity - €80 pm
    Gas - €80pm
    TV&Internet - €70
    Mobile phones x 2 - €80 (both on plans)
    Food - €380pm (I'm pretty good at cooking so won't be many ready meals)
    Diesel/Petrol for two cars - €420pm (OH gets picked up for work, I work within 30 min of the house)

Is there anything else I should consider? I know TV License, Car Insurance, Tax, Car Services but I'm putting them down as occasional expense. Are there any other weekly or monthly bills I should consider. I rounded up my estimates (I hope).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Water Charges, Property tax are big 2.

House contents insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Water charges? €64 every 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 68,916 ✭✭✭✭L1011

thebiglad wrote: »
    Water Charges, Property tax are big 2.

House contents insurance.

Renters don't pay property tax and the water bill will be less than one of their two phones - not big

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Bins might be more. We pay €23 p/m for ours (in cork).

I'd also factor in €50 p/m for general house stuff - cleaning supplies, garden stuff, odd bits like light bulbs, batteries etc

As a one off cost I'd set aside a couple of hundred for the first month when you move in. I always find that when you move house you end up buying some bits. We had to buy an iron and board, more mugs and a clothes horse/dryer when we first moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

Thanks Guys. I didn't realise tenants had to pay a property tax. How much would that be? Though I guess it depends on the house. I should have thought of the water bill. I've heard enough about it! :)

Do you reckon my estimates are fairly ok for what I have allowed for?

Hi Lux23, yes we live rurally so as much as I'd like to get rid of one car it wouldn't be practical really.

• Advertisement

Thanks prettyrestless, that's a good idea re: the general house stuff and the buffer at the start. I have been picking up bits and pieces as I've seen them on sale etc for the past few months but there will always be things that you don't realise until you are in there.

draiochtanois, I have health insurance and pension through my work so they are deducted from my wages. I do have a loan and have factored that in but it will be finished next year so extra money then. All the other things you mentioned do add up and I am afraid of getting caught out there.

How much would you consider a good buffer per month, after all the bills have been paid, for all those incidentals? We would go on holiday mainly around Ireland for 4/5 days and maybe a weekend away too. Nothing overly costly. We have had quite a few weddings this year and last with some more to come. We have both been quite good at saving and in general only buy thing we have money for. The loan for the car is the only credit we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

Bins are a bit more a month for me too there 24 euro a month, I live in Waterford City

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

hairycakes wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Looking for your advice/input. I know this has been done a few times but I can't see a recent post. Myself and my boyfriend are looking at a house to rent. It's lovely but a little more than we were thinking of. Anyway, we want to map out monthly expenses to have a good idea what to expect and if we can meet it before taking the plunge on this property. Also, I have a little girl so one more mouth to feed :)

Anyway I have it broken down like this:
    Bins - €16 pm
    Electricity - €80 pm
    Gas - €80pm
    TV&Internet - €70
    Mobile phones x 2 - €80 (both on plans)
    Food - €380pm (I'm pretty good at cooking so won't be many ready meals)
    Diesel/Petrol for two cars - €420pm (OH gets picked up for work, I work within 30 min of the house)

Is there anything else I should consider? I know TV License, Car Insurance, Tax, Car Services but I'm putting them down as occasional expense. Are there any other weekly or monthly bills I should consider. I rounded up my estimates (I hope).

I'm renting with my boyfriend and little girl too. I spend per month:
    80 electricity
    50 gas per month on a plan
    23.50 on bins
    240-280 on food ( another 24 on nappies/wipes)
    80 tv/Internet
    20 credit mobiles
    400 petrol per month ( one car used for getting to work)

Then I usually spend an extra few euro a day on milk or things I'v run out of.

Other things I spend on:
    100 month for takeaway once a week with bottle of wine :)
    Maybe lunch out at the weekend , take the baby to a farm, soft play area etc. or go watch a match with a bite to eat etc. it all adds up.

And 50 a month for the gym to work off the takeaway and wine ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm in a 2 bedroom house with my boyfriend also OP.

Bins are included in the rent (but costs her €25). Electricity is usually about €70 per month. Gas would be very low in the summer (cooker) and in the winter about €40 per month. Our internet is €38 per month. We don't have TV channels, everything is streamed from a computer. Not sure about food but nowhere near what you are quoting..under €200 a month. We only have 1 car that isn't used much so not very much on petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod Note

This is the Accommodation and Property forum and not an appropriate place for discussing food bills, mobile phone plans, cars etc. Off topic posts have been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

hairycakes wrote: »
    I didn't realise tenants had to pay a property tax. How much would that be? Though I guess it depends on the house.

Tenants don't pay property TAX!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Apologies athtrasna. Feel free to close the thread. Thanks to everyone for the replies though. Much appreciated and very helpful!

Advertisement