Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this too Old??

Options
  • 02-09-2015 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Came across this website https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/cart.php?suggest=55e7277ca03fc
    Dell Precision T7500 (Configure-To-Order) and configured a workstation to these specs

It comes in at £490 , question

Is this computer too old and is it possible to get the same computing power from a new build for the same money?

T7400_slim__78733.1373356027.450.350.jpg?c=2

Proce​ssor ​#1: 2.53 ​GHz Q​uad-C​ore X​eon (​L5630​) - 5​.86 G​T/12M​B
    Proce​ssor ​#2: 2.53 ​GHz Q​uad-C​ore X​eon (​L5630​) - 5​.86 G​T/12M​B
    Memor​y: 12GB ​- (6 ​x 2GB​) - D​DR3 E​CC Re​g - 1​333Mh​z + £​30.00
    Hard ​Drive​ #1: 80GB ​- SAT​A II ​- 720​0RPM ​+ £10​.00
    Graph​ics C​ard: No Gr​aphic​s Car​d
    Optic​al Dr​ive: 5.25"​ CD-R​OM + ​£2.50
    Opera​ting ​Syste​m: Win 7​ Prof​essio​nal (​64-Bi​t) & ​Resto​re Pa​rtiti​on
    WiFi ​Adapt​er: USB W​iFI A​dapte​r - W​irele​ss G ​+ £6.​00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Holy **** that thing is outdated and way overpriced. If you build it yourself or have someone do it you could have better spec for less money. What exactly is it wanted for? Is the 12 gb ram nessacary? As with newer machines 8 or 16 is easier with dual channel memory so if 8 would do I'd go with that else jump it up to 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

What are you using it for? It would have to be able to use all the cores (8) and threads (16) across the two processors to make it worthwhile.

Quick lookup of the Passmark for that xeon gives scores of 947 and 4425 for single and multi-thread respectively. Thats a very weak single thread performance, hence why i was saying whatever you would use it for would need to be utilise all the cores to make it worthwhile.

Its also on an old socket/platform, so not much scope for upgrading down the line.

For comparison the i5 4460 has passmark scores of 1952 and 6633 for single and multi-thread respectively. Much better all round with much stronger single thread performance and still strong multi-thread performance.

Have a look on other threads im pretty sure digital solitude has posted example builds with that i5 4460, should be in around in budget (once you drop any graphics card he has in).

Edit: There are examples in this thread with approximate pricing

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96785076
    i3 4160 €120
    1tb HDD €50
    8gb RAM €50
    GTX 950 €170
    Zalman A1 €20
    H81M board €50
    400w PSU €50
    250gb SSD €90
    Total €600

I'm not the best with monitors but you'll fit a 1080p at €130-150

The CPU i linked to above would add about €60 to the price, but if you arent gaming you dont need the GPU (GTX 950) listed there so thats a big saving. You could drop the 1TB hard drive as well if you dont need much storage. Assuming the above it would come in at ~€430 not including Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

I`m running pro-engineer also I do a bit of Animation using Maya and Blender. I remember using those same workstations in college over 6 years ago and they were the Bizz back then. The more cores the better for rendering but it is getting on age wise now hence the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Grecco wrote: »
    I`m running pro-engineer also I do a bit of Animation using Maya and Blender. I remember using those same workstations in college over 6 years ago and they were the Bizz back then. The more cores the better for rendering but it is getting on age wise now hence the question.

I think it would be very difficult to get the same power where you want it from a different build.

This is a true workstation which is what you need for the likes of Blender etc.

I do not see the point of a CD ROM only optical drive.
    Either omit it or get a DVD-RW if you need optical.

Maybe add a USB 3 card to one of the PCI-e slots.

I did not notice what speed the SATA ports are ..... I expect you might need a RAID set up to get more speed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I would be hesitant about it. An i7-4790K benchamrk is nearly 3 times that of the xeon and that is with out an over clock and SATA III. Yes there are 2 xeons but that in the grand scheme of things probably won't make up the difference and a i7 build will be in and around the same price

• Advertisement
Advertisement