Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving from Naas to South City Dublin

Options
  • 02-09-2015 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi folks. I am moving to Ireland from Australia and will be working in Ballsbridge. I have a stay at home wife and baby daughter. Can someone please provide some pointers on driving into Dublin from the Naas area? I don't mind an hours drive but is that a realistic expectation, will it be bumper to bumper? Naas appears to be a commutable drive combined with reasonable price housing stock. Any pointers appreciated. Thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Were in south Dublin are you working?
    It takes approx 20 minutes on a good day from naas to the M50.
    There is now an overpass at newlands x which was previously a bottle neck.

As a place to live , Naas is a nice spot. Near enough to Dublin and yet in the country.
    There is also a good bus service.

Edit; you said ballsbridge.

There are alternate routes that dont need you to go back south to access the m50 from cornellscourt.

What's your working hours?
    A friend used to get a bus up to donnybrook from naas to work. It might be an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Were in south Dublin are you working?

Ballsbridge, it's in the OP.

Even with the upgraded Newlands junction is 20 minutes to the M50 realistic for a weekday, rush-hour commute? I'm not doubting you, just genuinely curious. I used to do Tullow to Citywest and it took an hour and 20 minutes, minimum. I refused point blank to look at jobs inside the "Newlands ring" because I wouldn't go through that junction.

You can probably add another 30-40 minutes to that (or whatever the journey time is) to get from Newlands to Ballsbridge, OP. And if there's an accident on the N7, all bets are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

If you leave early you'll get there in an hour I'd say. I leave Naas around 7.20 and am sitting at my desk in dundrum at 8. So if you have flexible hours you could start earlier and finish a bit earlier then you should beat the worst of the traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Leave at or before 7 and you'll be at your desk by 8 ish.

Leave after 7.30 and you be doing well to be there for 9.30.

Probably best route is straight down n7 to the canal and drive along canal into ballsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

I'd sometimes have to drop the OH to work in Ballsbridge, Leaving Naas at 7am will have you in for 8.30.
    The canal road is an absolute pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ozzy_mark

All,

I really appreciate you responding to this post - thank you so much!!

The reality is I have to scope out the situation when I arrive in a couple of weeks but you have certainly given me lots to think about. Naas is on a shortlist for us along with Bray and Greystones. I will post in the Wicklow forum to invite same feedback on the Commute from Bray.

As nice as Naas sounds the feedback I have had re commuting from this site and a few friends and family in Ireland is consistent.

Thanks all !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

advantage of Bray / Greystones is the Dart will bring you to Ballsbridge and your employer can also supply you taxsaver travel tickets whereby the cost of the ticket is deducted from your gross salary, thus saving up to 41% tax.

Thank you!

Assuming that I am unable to buy a property within walking distance of either station any ideas as to the ease of parking there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hi OP,

I've lived in Naas for 4 years now and commute in and out of south Dublin (Blackrock). I leave at 6.45 in the morning and get to work around 7.40ish, I wait til after 6 to head home for traffic reasons. The commute does get to you I wont lie, and for that reason we're in the process of buying in Dublin. So just keep that in mind.

As for Naas, its a great spot. Good restaurants, pubs etc., and lots of other amenities. If i thought I could get long term employment in Naas I'd be more than happy to settle here. Hope that helps. The commute might not bother you, but I think a direct public transport alternative is worth considering. Also, will you have free parking at work?

Bray will have better train services than Greystones, but road traffic is very busy. We did a good bit of research of those areas when looking to buy. Nice areas by the coast, and in the country. It all depends on the balance of life / work / commute etc.

All the best,

Rob

• Advertisement

Hi Rob,

That's great advice thank you. I do have car parking with my job and of all the hours we have spent looking at houses Naas and surrounds keeps coming out on top and is highly recommended by friends and family. The reality is I will have to do the trip a few times and check out the situation when I get there, commute vs cost will be the trade off I think. When I weigh up the needs of my wife and child it also seems Naas and surrounds scores highly. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

ozzy_mark wrote: »
    Hi Rob,

That's great advice thank you. I do have car parking with my job and of all the hours we have spent looking at houses Naas and surrounds keeps coming out on top and is highly recommended by friends and family. The reality is I will have to do the trip a few times and check out the situation when I get there, commute vs cost will be the trade off I think. When I weigh up the needs of my wife and child it also seems Naas and surrounds scores highly. Thanks

Feel free to drop me a PM if you've any other queries.

A new train service from kildare/Newbridge /sallins to connolly and grand canal dock via the phoenix Park tunnel is starting next autumn - depending on where in ballsbridge you are, grand canal could be walking distance or just a stop or two away on the dart from same station.

Could be handy for Mondays and Fridays when traffic can be particularly bad.

Advertisement