Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoulder Surfing

• 02-09-2015 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi Everyone,

I have an issue with my bank where my wallet was stolen and my account was cleared out. At the time the balance in my account was an overdraft. My bank is telling that it was a case of shoulder surfing and that they do not refund on shoulder surfing as it is my responsibility to take care of my PIN and are looking for me to pay them back the monies that was stolen from my account. However if it was my money I probably wouldn't pursue the bank for a refund I would just chalk it down to experience but I am not at all happy with the idea of paying the bank back money that was stolen out of my account.

Can anyone tell me what might be the best thing to do or if you have dealt with a similar situation.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can anyone tell me what might be the best thing to do ...

Yes, come up with a satisfactory explanation (not involving negligence or recklessness on your part) as to how the thief obtained your PIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

First find out why they think it was shoulder surfing. Ask to see the film if it was on camera. Then you can formulate your response.

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I have a credit card machine and the amount of people who make no attempt to shield the pinpad when they use their card is ridiculous.

Do you take basic precautions when you use your card? If it was chip and pin - which it probably is as signing is mostly gone now, you are responsible for the security of your pin number and card.

You may have trouble here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Did you have an authorised overdraft facility?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 golden wings

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes, come up with a satisfactory explanation (not involving negligence or recklessness on your part) as to how the thief obtained your PIN.

Thank you! The thing is, its was the bank that suggest that it was shoulder surfing, the only thing I know for sure is that my wallet was stolen and my account was cleared out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement