Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT or University?

Options
  • 02-09-2015 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

My question is does it matter whether you go to a IT or University when going to get a job, are employers bias on the fact someone went to a university. The course I want is Software Development, Universities dont seem to offer this but offer Computer Science which isnt as focused. I just want to know if I have lots of experience, volunteer work with the career at somewhere like CoderDoJo would they judge not having a University degree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There is such demand for IT people these days that it no longer matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I have worked with software development postgraduate diploma students from Nuig. Not sure if this would be a better route than going straight into a software development but it's something to check. The students all come from different backgrounds and with a mix of undergraduate degrees so would be more employable in my eyes- I do have limited knowledge in this area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭J98

I have worked with software development postgraduate diploma students from Nuig. Not sure if this would be a better route than going straight into a software development but it's something to check. The students all come from different backgrounds and with a mix of undergraduate degrees so would be more employable in my eyes- I do have limited knowledge in this area though.

Thanks very much. Would you find the location of the degree or experience more valuable? Just want to know as I feel employers would be more on the side of someone who has a degree from a university with little experience then someone from a Institute of Technology with more experience then the person who went to the University just because it seems better.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Employers are generally interested in what you got and how much experience you have. If you end up with a 2.2, then you're going to be passed over in favour of those with 2.1's.

That said, if someone got a 2.2, but had a year of industry software development experience, they'd be chosen over someone with a first that was straight out of college any day. Absolutely do not underestimate the value of experience.

The college itself doesn't really matter at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭J98

Thank you very much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement