Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

yop wrote: »
    Not if he didn't get game time. Plenty of players over various codes haven't been utilised, in this case they got the best of DOC.

In fairness, he more than likely would have gotten game time whoever was in charge, he's a massive prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ColeTrain wrote: »
    In fairness, he more than likely would have gotten game time whoever was in charge, he's a massive prospect.

And the brother of one of our top players, playing with a very successful club side, plus we're struggling for quality forwards...the expression 'no brainer' seems apt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Regarding the management situation the question I ask is how can joint managers work ? I mean what's the dynamic ? Take the Dublin game where Vaughan was started with a busted shoulder, suppose one of the pair is pushing for Vaughans inclusion because of his physicality and ball carrying etc but the other manager thinks he isn't fit, what's the tie breaker in a situation like that ? Then, human nature being what it is when Vaughan must be withdrawn does the man who made the original call delay the the substitution for fear of "I told you so". This is just an example but situations like this must arise all the time. I can't remember many if any joint managers being successful in any sportl because natural order means one person will always dominate and the decision making process is altered and slowed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Regarding the management situation the question I ask is how can joint managers work ? I mean what's the dynamic ? Take the Dublin game where Vaughan was started with a busted shoulder, suppose one of the pair is pushing for Vaughans inclusion because of his physicality and ball carrying etc but the other manager thinks he isn't fit, what's the tie breaker in a situation like that ? Then, human nature being what it is when Vaughan must be withdrawn does the man who made the original call delay the the substitution for fear of "I told you so". This is just an example but situations like this must arise all the time. I can't remember many if any joint managers being successful in any sportl because natural order means one person will always dominate and the decision making process is altered and slowed down.

It's not as if Holmes and Connelly are two different managers that have been forced to be joint managers by the County Board.

They have worked this way before and have been successful.

To the best of my knowledge it was Connelly who wanted Homes on board as joint manager.

As I result I think the two have their own understanding of what each others role is and who makes what decisions and when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Effing SICK of being close. SICK!!!

• Advertisement

Kalyke wrote: »

I wouldn't be too sick. You can guarantee if we played Kerry today it would be dry and they would of done us again. I think when its our time it will be our time we just need the luck to turn and some day it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Kalyke wrote: »

Whoever has beaten Mayo in the last 5 years has gone onto win the All-Ireland...don't know how to feel about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Who de we reckon will make the Sunday team game of the year from Mayo.
    DOC definitely there. AOS probably should as well. Parson might just get a look in seeing how poor david moran and the Kerry midfield was today. He has had a right solid year in all our games. Keegan might get lucky and get the number 5 shirt but only barely.

5 Lee Keegan
    9 Tom Parsons
    12 DOC
    14 AOS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Ascii wrote: »
    Who de we reckon will make the Sunday team game of the year from Mayo.
    DOC definitely there. AOS probably should as well. Parson might just get a look in seeing how poor david moran and the Kerry midfield was today. He has had a right solid year in all our games. Keegan might get lucky and get the number 5 shirt but only barely.

5 Lee Keegan
    9 Tom Parsons
    12 DOC
    14 AOS

Hopefully Philly McMahon loses out because of his eye gouge today, disgusting
    http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=244420

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Do t really care . Dublin are and have been the. Best team in the country for the past 3 years . deservedly won today . Kerry in fairness to them are the aristocratic s of picking up handy all Ireland's in the past 15 years admiringly mostly at Mayo s expense. Thank god today football won.
    Well done Dublin .

And a small backdrop to a seriousayo fan . I was about to give in the towel this year and my son ( 7 years old) said that I'll be there to follow Mayo mext year .
    Nearly brought a tear .
    We'll be back .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Hopefully Philly McMahon loses out because of his eye gouge today, disgusting
    http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=244420

Nothing in that,his hand just ran across his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Whoever has beaten Mayo in the last 5 years has gone onto win the All-Ireland...don't know how to feel about that!

2011 Kerry beat Mayo but lost the final to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Was it just me or does McMahon clearly attempt to gouge Donaghy in the eye. You see Kieran appeal to the ref and in the replay IMO you can clearly see Philly's left hand attempt to gouge donaghy. thoughts. Overall sickened to have put the all Ireland champs to the pin of the collar and lost on the first day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojvbfGbdSHk

Makes Brolly look like a right tit also. Kept preaching in the days after the mayo replay that "Fitzmaurice" was a master tactician and that he would never make the same mistakes that the Holmes/Connolly made....Fizt looked clueless on the line today as did Cian O niall.
    So called master players - gooch, geaney and o donoughe were not at the races as all today. Bringing on the likes of Galvin reeked of desperation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Nothing in that,his hand just ran across his face.

I've watched a few different clips and it definitely looks like he did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I've watched a few different clips and it definitely looks like he did

It'll be much clearer if they look at on The Sunday Game tonight. The footage is shot from a camera phone and it looks like no more then just his hand running over his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Lads what do we make of our chances next year? Hopefully the Dubs won't have the same hunger next year and that Kerry team might be potentially going through a period of transition. As we avoid both until the final next year we have a decent chance of making the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Lads what do we make of our chances next year? Hopefully the Dubs won't have the same hunger next year and that Kerry team might be potentially going through a period of transition. As we avoid both until the final next year we have a decent chance of making the final.

That's only if we win the Connaught and Kerry and Dublin win their provincial finals. Dublin will surely do their part, Cork might fancy their chances against Kerry though, who as you said, are indeed going through a period of transition (which won't last many years unfortunately).

As for us, you'd expect us to manage 6 in a row, but Galway and Roscommon are only going to be stronger next year, and it's never a given that we'll beat Galway in the Connaught, especially looking at our match with them this year and how they went about it.

So if all the strongest teams win their provincials, it's our best shot at getting back to a final, and then it's down to not freezing on the day like has happened all too often in the last two decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

2011 Kerry beat Mayo but lost the final to Dublin.

Mayo have been second best for the last 4 years. Unbelievable how close they've come.

This year again. Dunlin on the ropes. 5 minutes of extra time and you didn't kill them when you had the chance.

Had you have done so, like you failed to do against kerry last year, you'd be all Ireland champions.

I really hope you do because 3 teams dominating would be better than 1 or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Galway are not really that much stronger. Very average year for them again in 2015 despite some promising early signs in the league. I don't see them breaking their duck in Connacht. Roscommon might have a better chance but seem to burn themselves out in the League in recent years and have nothing left for the championship. Still don't think they are up to Mayo's standard. So it will be Mayo winning Connacht again next year, its as nailed on as Dublin winning Leinster at this stage. After that I think they are due to possibly meet Donegal in an AI semi final or possibly Tyrone. Mayo seem to have the Indian sign on Donegal in recent years but Tyrone are a different animal. But there is still a good chance of making it to next years AI final where probably Dublin awaits. As shown this year, Mayo can give Dublin more of a test than any other county in the championship on a consistent basis.

I just think however, Holmes and Connelly are not tactically in the same league as Jim Gavin and I don't see them learning from past mistakes.

So Dublin to win again next year.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Mayo have been second best for the last 4 years. Unbelievable how close they've come.

This year again. Dunlin on the ropes. 5 minutes of extra time and you didn't kill them when you had the chance.

Had you have done so, like you failed to do against kerry last year, you'd be all Ireland champions.

I really hope you do because 3 teams dominating would be better than 1 or 2.

If Jim Gavin or Jim McGuinnes had this squad of Mayo players they'd have 2 or 3 All-Irelands out of them. That's been the main difference the last 4 or 5 years. Poor tactics from the Mayo sideline in big games. I don't see it changing next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

martyos121 wrote:
    As for us, you'd expect us to manage 6 in a row, but Galway and Roscommon are only going to be stronger next year, and it's never a given that we'll beat Galway in the Connaught, especially looking at our match with them this year and how they went about it.

We have home games versus Galway and Roscommon though I'm nearly certain, should win out again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

We have home games versus Galway and Roscommon though I'm nearly certain, should win out again

All home games except Leitrim and I think we're in Ruislip next year too.

For 2016, first of all let's secure Division 1 status for another year.
    I'm not too bothered about league semi finals etc to be honest, but it's huge that we stay in the division with as little fuss as possible.

Championship, get another Connaught title on board and see how the land lies elsewhere going into August.

It would be nice to see a run at U21, it's well overdue.

At minor the only way is up after the shambles against Galway this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Rumour going round that Donie Buckley is going to Galway!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Rumour going round that Donie Buckley is going to Galway!

He agreed to stay with Mayo last week, unless that has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

yop wrote: »
    He agreed to stay with Mayo last week, unless that has changed.

Did he? Do you have a link?

I have heard that he is 100% leaving Mayo this year and the likelihood is that he will take a year out next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Plenty of rumours going around.
    Heard Higgins handed connelly a letter of no confidence in the two managers and mc Guinness name mentioned

naughto wrote: »
    Heard Higgins handed connelly a letter of no confidence in the two managers and mc Guinness name mentioned

I'd love if it was true but i'd be very surprised. The chairman is not going to sack his own brother. One of the reasons why he shouldn't of got the job.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did he? Do you have a link?

I have heard that he is 100% leaving Mayo this year and the likelihood is that he will take a year out next year.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22748:donie-buckley-set-to-stay-on-with-mayo&catid=14&Itemid=100008

He was leaving us last year too also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Martin McGuinness has enough for doing at the moment;)

• Advertisement

naughto wrote:
    Plenty of rumours going around. Heard Higgins handed connelly a letter of no confidence in the two managers and mc Guinness name mentioned

I'm prepared to say that is 100% not true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

There is a very winnable Connaught title to be won with the U21 team. It would be the very minimum with the talent pool available
    - Good set of backs from 2013 (contained Tyrone in a beaten midfield)
    - Good set of forwards from 2014 (goal scorers)
    - One of Mayos best half forwards Diarmuid OConnor
    - Stephen Coen and Michael Hall senior experience
    - Outright physicality in Diarmuid, Fionan Duffy and TJ Byrne
    If the midfield mix can be got right, absolutely that team should be gunning for an All Ireland final appearance. The only issue is with midfield. Neither in 2013 or 2014 were the midfields dominant.

How could you forget Patrick Durcan??

The idea of Higgins, as a senior player and thus representative of the collective of the team, handing in a letter of no confidence has some credibility.

However the idea that the same letter mentions (Jim) McGuiness by name is a bit out there.

If the players have a coup d'etat in mind I'd hope their alternative is a bit closer to home and a bit more available.

It's not the GAA fourm on boards.ie that they are presenting their case to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

GBXI wrote: »
    How could you forget Patrick Durcan??
    Patrick Durcan had his last year U21 this year. He's 20 but must turn 21 before January 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    That stat re the All Ireland winners having beaten us for the last four years hurts so much.It's such a long road ahead but I think ourselves and Kerry have a lot of ground to make up on Dublin. We might make another final le cunamh De but I'd be inclined to back Dublin to retain their title unless we can find that little something extra, most especially up front. I'd love to be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Patrick Durcan had his last year U21 this year. He's 20 but must turn 21 before January 1st.

He better have a word with his mother so

He better have a word with his mother so

Hahaha :D

In himself, Diarmuid O'Connor and hopefully Coen we have 3 solid players coming through. Should be more from that minor All-Ireland winning team... apparently it went to the head of a few of them and some got a bit too fond of the beer, I won't mention names but we all know 1 or 2 high-profile cases from that team.

It's a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭paintitwhite

seligehgit wrote: »
    That stat re the All Ireland winners having beaten us for the last four years hurts so much.It's such a long road ahead but I think ourselves and Kerry have a lot of ground to make up on Dublin. We might make another final le cunamh De but I'd be inclined to back Dublin to retain their title unless we can find that little something extra, most especially up front. I'd love to be wrong.

Another remarkable stat is that Kerry have won or been knocked out every year by the eventual winners since 2002 with the exception of 2010. In that year they bet eventual champions Cork in the Munster championship.

You can come up with any statistic you want, such as Mayo have been beaten by the winners or runners up in each of the last how many years etc etc.

All these stats tell me is Mayo capitulate when the pressure is really on. Give them a game where they are underdogs and they would probably win. Give them one where they are favourites, or where there is an AI final at stake and they collapse. Its no use winning Connacht year in year out without doing it in AI finals.

Mayo in the last five years have taken themselves to a new level but they have been stuck on that level and not pushed on.

Too many flat track bullies on the Mayo team who become invisible in AI finals. Harsh but true. There needs to be a clear out of the usual big game passengers.

You can come up with any statistic you want, such as Mayo have been beaten by the winners or runners up in each of the last how many years etc etc.

All these stats tell me is Mayo capitulate when the pressure is really on. Give them a game where they are underdogs and they would probably win. Give them one where they are favourites, or where there is an AI final at stake and they collapse. Its no use winning Connacht year in year out without doing it in AI finals.

Mayo in the last five years have taken themselves to a new level but they have been stuck on that level and not pushed on.

Too many flat track bullies on the Mayo team who become invisible in AI finals. Harsh but true. There needs to be a clear out of the usual big game passengers.

Your dead right.

Mayo have never out performed themselves in an All Ireland final.

They, or at least a number of important players, always seem to underperform.

Take the 2013 Clare hurlers in the replay for example, when have you ever seen Mayo do that in a final ?, never.

And all the best tactical management in the world can't fix that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Been saying this with the past few years although perhaps not with the same spin. A few players absolutely have to move on at this stage, if only to give some hope and motivation to the younger lads yet to make a breakthrough at senior level.

kippy wrote: »
    Been saying this with the past few years although perhaps not with the same spin. A few players absolutely have to move on at this stage, if only to give some hope and motivation to the younger lads yet to make a breakthrough at senior level.

So who has to move on ?

Dillon is the only one that I can think of that would be retiring.

Andy Moran has another year as an impact sub.

We all though Cafferkey was to lose his place to Keane but in the end Keane got no game time after his cameo v Donegal, is he not good enough to take have a starting role ?

Cuniffe may be done so that is one place you may try out someone new, safe in the knowledge that Barrette is also an option.

Kevin McLaughlin's spot on the wing is the only other place that a replacement may be urgent.

It would be handy to be able to rest the likes of Higgins, Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle, the two O Sheas and Cillian for the league but you don't want to lose the Div 1 status either.

Dillon, Andy and possibly Conroy would be the three most likely to be considering their futures.

I suspect Dillon may retire.

One more lash from Andy as an impact sub.

As for Conroy, I find him a incredibly frustrating player to watch, he just hasn't produced it on a consistent basis. I suspect he may be one who just drifts away from the county scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

padd b1975 wrote:
    As for Conroy, I find him a incredibly frustrating player to watch, he just hasn't produced it on a consistent basis. I suspect he may be one who just drifts away from the county scene.

I like him. He can be very accurate. I think Mayo are better with him than without. For example Johnny Cooper might get an all star this year, but Conroy does very well on him imo. I think he has a streak of quality . Getting it out of him consistently is another thing. But there are forwards on the panel that he's better than imho.

Stoner wrote: »
    I like him. He can be very accurate. I think Mayo are better with him than without. For example Johnny Cooper might get an all star this year, but Conroy does very well on him imo. I think he has a streak of quality . Getting it out of him consistently is another thing. But there are forwards on the panel that he's better than imho.

If fit I think you could get a good year out of Conroy as an impact sub.

I suspect more urgent surgery is needed on the team than the probable retirements of the lads on the periphery of the squad like Dillon... Andy Moran can still make an impact from the bench for another season.Michael Conroy has been a great servant of Mayo football but he's not the quality of substitute we will require to win an All Ireland.
    For me new blood is required in 2 positions in the full back line,radical surgery is required there.
    I believe 2 of our established half forwards require replacing.I'd love to know where we'll find the requisite superior players.

There are grounds for optimism with the likes of Patrick Durcan,David Drake,Evan Regan and hopefully Danny Kirby getting more game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I dont think a lot of lads will leave the panel but a few are likely to end up outside the 26. The 19-23 year olds are starting to be the more dominant players in club football in particular in attack.
    Michael Forde had 8 pts from play at midfield and a long kickpass assist for a goal.
    Darren McHugh very good at full back for Hollymount in the Intermediate championship.
    Duffy and Loftus are getting most of Crossmolinas scores. Kirby will be more ready for it. Have high hopes for Forde, of the big men he probably has the best shooting and passing. Versatile, could be tried centre back to add some height in that line. Midfield, half forward or a second twin tower.
    I think looking at natural advantages we have a lot of tall players with decent football. We should use it. We had too many subs not over 6' for our last match. Height has always been an advantage in Gaelic football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Dillon, Andy and possibly Conroy would be the three most likely to be considering their futures.

I suspect Dillon may retire.

One more lash from Andy as an impact sub.

Was talking to him recently, said he's all set to go again next year. He was flying it until he got injured.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Was talking to him recently, said he's all set to go again next year. He was flying it until he got injured.

I only saw him live this year in the drawn league match against Donegal, his shot selection was deplorable on a day when every score was a struggle.

Painful to watch and not to be trusted at the highest level I'm afraid.

Anybody heading up to McHale Park this evening? Nice to see the lads back playing club football. I'll probably head up tomorrow too.Always great to see the 3 O Shea lads togging out, ditto Robbie Hennelly.Enda Varley will see some action,young Caolon Crowe....Big Barry,Patrick Durcan,Danny Kirby,Neil Douglas and the now forgotten Richie Feeney.

As regards tomorrow's action it will be great to run the rule over Cillian,Diarmuid,Jason Gibbons,Danny Geraghty, David Clarke,Ger Cafferkey,Alex Corduff,Kevin McLoughlin and most especially young Evan Regan.

Is it true that there was no arrangements made by the County Board for the team to stay in Dublin post the replay?Absolute disgrace if true,the lads spilled their guts on the football pitch and apparently a decision was made that that they'd return home to Mayo that same night post a contest that finished at 7 in the evening.

Quite bizarre but I observed a not to be named Mayo player getting on the Maynooth inter rail train at 8 with his gear,couldn't get my head around this.Not too sure if he'd even have got a seat, the train was full.A hard one to swallow commuting on a train with all your supporters after suffering such a gut wrenching defeat.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement