Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I hope Mayo do it on October 1st. I'm not from Mayo but they have been knocking on the All-Ireland door for way too many years. The county and supporters deserve a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

seligehgit wrote: »
    I hope to God we can finish the job Saturday week.

I think we missed the boat, tbh. Should have beat them well today and didn't do it. Feels similar to last year. The opportunity was there. Won't get a second chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Thought Jason Doherty was excellent today. Always took the right option when he had the ball.

I'm more than half cut but I thought he rushed a few shots in the first half?

PressRun wrote: »
    I think we missed the boat, tbh. Should have beat them well today and didn't do it. Feels similar to last year. The opportunity was there. Won't get a second chance.

Should have beaten them today but we'll beat them the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

What time does the replay start at ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

driver02 wrote: »
    Not from Mayo but thought some of the Mayo big names didn't play particularly well to day? Seamus O Shea in particular gave away a few crucial balls and Aidan O Shea very poor kicking. Very surprised Moran wasn't introduced earlier.
    Say what you will about Mayo but very few teams in an AI final would recover from 2 hammer blows of own goals as they did to day ( seriously almost gave away a third)
    Mayo have every chance in the replay, Dublin a very good team going forward totally different though when a team goes at them
    Ref should have given Aidan O Shea at least 2 storable frees to day gave most of the 50/50 decisions to Dublin in the first half but improved in the 2nd half.
    I sure wish we could have some storable frees .:)

Just because Aiden O' Shea is a Monster does not mean he cannot be fouled .

I thought McCarthy was unlucky to be black card but it is one of those that the more you look at it the worse it gets but still probably a free and a warning would have been enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Kerry person here. Mayo were amazing today. Keep the faith. Today should have been Mayo's day - they played so well. But I feel it in my bones that Mayo will win the All-Ireland. Positive thinking.:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Left it behind us. Great fight to come bsck but won't get as good a chance. More beer in city west now......hic....hic....

Can't put this without sounding like an arse but Mr. 93% showed his true colours today. Tapping over frees for 20-30m's is all well and good against Westmeath but "one of the greatest teams ever" is missing a solid free taker when the pressure is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thought Jason Doherty was excellent today. Always took the right option when he had the ball.

Yes I've been one of Jason Doherty's harshest critics and I thought he'd an excellent game today.

Andy Moran was simply outstanding,ditto Tom Parsons.Kevin McLoughlin was a top performer too.

Seamus O Shea distribution was very poor at some crucial points.

Any news on the status of the injuries to Alan Dillon and Evan Regan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 scrawnyass

Aineoil wrote: »
    I hope Mayo do it on October 1st. I'm not from Mayo but they have been knocking on the All-Ireland door for way too many years. The county and supporters deserve a break.

Jessica looking down from above.Up Mayo.Do it the next day.

Heard Evan Regan has damage to his eye socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What time does the replay start at ?

5pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thankfully my impulse decision to put a tenner on the draw has paid for replay tickets :D
    Tired and proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Any word on Alan Dillon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm more than half cut but I thought he rushed a few shots in the first half?

Dont think so? I remember he had 1 wide (cant remember when it was) but felt he did the right thing in having a pop at it.

That is terrible news for the lad,I'd imagine that will most certainly rule him out the next day.

Diarmuid O Connor most definitely seems to be carrying an injury.

corny wrote: »
    O'Connor saw him coming, braced himself with the shoulder and threw himself to the deck. Wasn't a free or a black card in my book.

I know Dublin have their own little monsters and this is the wrong thread to say this but Cillian O'Connor is a horrible human being. There isn't a decent sporting bone in his body. Cold and calculating in trying to get lads sent off all game.

Being a bit harsh there I think.

I dont like the way he is constantly waving his arms about and mouthing to the referee. He reminds me so much of Robbie Keane in that regard.

Wonderful equaliser from him today though. It took real courage to go for that. He wasnt having the best of days (particularly the first half) but he didnt go missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

O'Connor saw him coming, braced himself with the shoulder and threw himself to the deck. Wasn't a free or a black card in my book.

I know Dublin have their own little monsters and this is the wrong thread to say this but Cillian O'Connor is a horrible human being. There isn't a decent sporting bone in his body. Cold and calculating in trying to get lads sent off all game.

There was more than one Dub at the same thing as well, rose tinted spectacles if you ask me, just part of the game nowadays, sad to say

Dont think so? I remember he had 1 wide (cant remember when it was) but felt he did the right thing in having a pop at it.

That post came across bad, I thought he had a very good game, I was thinking it was him that rushed the shot (that Aidan laid off) in the first half instead of Durcan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Jesus, Skywanderer is wanderng from thread to thread with the same ol guff, KERRY LOST get over it, it was not the referee that beat them either.

Thought the ref did Mayo no favours today, why did he give a free against O'Shea who was in for a goal? Connolly should have went for a blatant pull down.(edit and the MDMC Wrestle on O'Connor, close to a red card)

The referee was poor for both sides. Agree (Im a Dub) MDMC could easily have been a red card. Had O'Connor still the ball it was a red card. The only reason Connolly didnt walk was Keegan pulled him down before that incident. The ref I felt was a bit harsh on McCarthy. He could have planted the Mayo lad but pulled back, too late

So much so for the unbeatable Dubs, who don't do panic, could have fooled me today.

No team is unbeatable. But Dublin were poor for periods of the game today, as were Mayo. Neither side panicked to be fair. When either side was behind they had a cool head to get a score. Remember the Croke park pitch makes conditions like these awful for players.
    Best of Luck to Mayo in the replay, I stll think you can do it.
    They can if they concentrate on football. Was very disappointed with a few Mayo lads trying to get Dublin players carded. It aint nice to see and sets an awful example. A.O'S was running moaning to referee and linesman while Dublin went up the field and scored.

Despite what that bitter Kerryman or whatever he is says IMHO Mayo are best equipped team in Ireland to take Dublin. Big strong powerful and good ball players.

I hope for Dublin win but..........

Horrible human being is a bit much in fairness, he is "professional" in the way he plays the game. I wouldn't like him if I wasn't from Mayo but you've gone OTT there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Being a bit harsh there I think.

I dont like the way he is constantly waving his arms about and mouthing to the referee. He reminds me so much of Robbie Keane in that regard.

Wonderful equaliser from him today though. It took real courage to go for that. He wasnt having the best of days (particularly the first half) but he didnt go missing.

I don't think so. He's forever at it and the more players react to him the worse he gets.

Its an affront to what i like about sport. I don't care what jersey he's wearing and the 'but your players are worse' ****e is just avoiding the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

LeoB wrote: »
    The referee was poor for both sides. Agree (Im a Dub) MDMC could easily have been a red card. Had O'Connor still the ball it was a red card. The only reason Connolly didnt walk was Keegan pulled him down before that incident. The ref I felt was a bit harsh on McCarthy. He could have planted the Mayo lad but pulled back, too late

No team is unbeatable. But Dublin were poor for periods of the game today, as were Mayo. Neither side panicked to be fair. When either side was behind they had a cool head to get a score. Remember the Croke park pitch makes conditions like these awful for players.

They can if they concentrate on football. Was very disappointed with a few Mayo lads trying to get Dublin players carded. It aint nice to see and sets an awful example. A.O'S was running moaning to referee and linesman while Dublin went up the field and scored.

Despite what that bitter Kerryman or whatever he is says IMHO Mayo are best equipped team in Ireland to take Dublin. Big strong powerful and good ball players.

I hope for Dublin win but..........

Correct Keegan was a lucky boy as well. Would like to see Mayo win, hope they don't fold in the replay, serious lack of talent off the bench, especially now that they appear to have picked up injuries today.
    My only issue with Dublin is the BS the likes of Senan O'Connell came up with prior to the game, set up Dublin for a seriously big fall.
    That said, no one deserved to win (or lose) today, draw a fair result, exciting game throughout, mainly due to the amount of errors, anything could have happened

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Stop corny. Cillian does what he has to win as does Cooper and Connolly etc. Horrible human been is one who attacks a lad out of the blue.

PARlance wrote: »
    Horrible human being is a bit much in fairness, he is "professional" in the way he plays the game. I wouldn't like him if I wasn't from Mayo but you've gone OTT there.

Nah he separates himself from the likes of Donaghy, Keegan, McMahon imo.

yop wrote: »
    Stop corny. Cillian does what he has to win as does Cooper and Connolly etc. Horrible human been is one who attacks a lad out of the blue.

He doesn't he takes it a step further. The lads who are 'professional' shake hands at the whistle and move on. I just don't think he's capable of that. Just a horrible nastiness to him. Even watch the pre parade hand shake. The ****ing hostility was oozing out of him.

You're being ridiculous corny. You don't even know Cillian O'Connor. To say he's a "horrible human being" is well out of line. There's plenty that could be said about the Dubs, but I wouldn't say it because I don't know any of them and wouldn't want to make blanket judgements on the characters of people I don't personally know. You should know better, tbh.

You're being ridiculous corny. You don't even know Cillian O'Connor. To say he's a "horrible human being" is well out of line. There's plenty that could be said about the Dubs, but I wouldn't say it because I don't know any of them and wouldn't want to make blanket judgements on the characters of people I don't personally know. You should know better, tbh.

Spare me would ye.

• Advertisement

Spare me would ye.

Could say the same to you.

Andy Moran gets my MOTM.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I've no idea what he's like as a human but I find O'Connor to be revolting as a player. Only downside I'd see to Mayo finally winning an All Ireland is him getting a reward for his miserable behaviour

Go and cry about it. Could day the same for a couple of Dublin players, but don't go onto yer thread to whinge about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I'm sure he's a hero in Mayo for that last point and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭mvt

Go and cry about it. Could day the same for a couple of Dublin players, but don't go onto yer thread to whinge about it.

They already have winners medals :D

Just trying to lighten the mood,very good hearted posts in the match threads in all fairness

• Advertisement

mvt wrote: »
    They already have winners medals :D

Just trying to lighten the mood,very good hearted posts in the match threads in all fairness

Has nothing to do with what kind of human beings they are though. The Dubs are great footballers. Who they are as people hardly matters and I wouldn't say one way or another because I don't know any of them personally. I'm sure none of them are "horrible human beings" though.

Calling an amateur footballer you don't know outside of football a "horrible human being" is not really on, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nah there's no whinging, abbey actor in the Dublin set up.

We've a few Keeganesque types but that's no harm.

We've not had much reason to cry in a long time:confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

yop wrote: »

Very easy to say that when the decision goes your way to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

I'm a dub but played with COC in college. If he's in your side he's great, if not he's a cheat. The boy knows how to win frees. He's great at that. Like the top players, he's knows how to win. Like brogan, Connolly, Keegan, Boyle, etc. He's a match winner. Aidan O'Shea could learn from him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I would like to remind posters that personal abuse of players is not permitted. And neither is abuse of other posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

In a strange way, I credit the draw with Lee Keegan and his marshalling of
    Connolly. He just rattled him so much.

Incident in injury time, Dublin one point up and.....He grabbed the ball off a Dublin player (Cooper I think) to try and score from the sideline ball. Mad to make a mark on the game after being shadowed by Lee. Stupid and dare I say, arrogant move Diarmuid, one minute left, in injury time, pass it back, keep pocession ..... No, the eejit was thinking of himself and not the team. Mayo get the ball, go up field and bang. Draw game. Keegan is pure class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

RobbieRuns wrote: »

Incident in injury time, Dublin one point up and.....He grabbed the ball off a Dublin player (Cooper I think) to try and score from the sideline ball. Mad to make a mark on the game after being shadowed by Lee. Stupid and dare I say, arrogant move Diarmuid, one minute left, in injury time, pass it back, keep pocession ..... No, the eejit was thinking of himself and not the team. Mayo get the ball, go up field and bang. Draw game. Keegan is pure class.

They should win the replay handy enough then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm drained after today, we've let it go imo. So impressed with CO'C - the lad has balls of steel - and disappointed in Aidan today.

Those are the breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭munster87

It was Kilkenny he grabbed it off I think. All he had to do was play it back to a blue jersey. Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Kh1993 wrote: »
    I'm a dub but played with COC in college.

Like the top players, he's knows how to win. He's a match winner..

Really? He has played in eight All Ireland SFs including replays and won just three. He's played in three All Ireland Finals and won none. He's obviously a good footballer to play at that level but phrases like "he knows how to win" and "he's a match winner" are meaningless in the context of the evidence. He's almost always on the losing team when there's a trophy up for grabs.

Anyway Mayo fans, Would ye make any change to your starting 15 for the replay? S. O'Sé might be under a bit of pressure to keep his place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

. Keegan is pure class.

Having watched him goading Sean Kavanagh and do likewise again today class in the last word I'd use about Keegan. Was a fine footballer when the recent Mayo team first emerged and he used to play a lot of ball in each game but it is some fall from grace to be reduced to targeting key opposition players to try to get them sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Really? He has played in eight All Ireland SFs including replays and won just three. He's played in three All Ireland Finals and won none. He's obviously a good footballer to play at that level but phrases like "he knows how to win" and "he's a match winner" are meaningless in the context of the evidence. He's almost always on the losing team when there's a trophy up for grabs.

Oh right, I didn't realise All Ireland medals are handed out like confetti and anyone who doesn't have one can't be a match winner :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭munster87

Barlett wrote: »
    Oh right, I didn't realise All Ireland medals are handed out like confetti and anyone who doesn't have one can't be a match winner :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ha! Well he got a great leveler today in the last minute of an all Ireland final. Hard to put him down after that. But lads are trying anyway!

The two O'sheas cost us badly today. We had our chance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement