Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The two O'sheas cost us badly today. We had our chance.

Aidan was terrible, but nobody could hang onto the ball all the same. SOS was good in parts but looked a little off the pace .

Not sure who'd Mayo would put in ahead if him though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Stoner wrote: »
    Aidan was terrible, but nobody could hang onto the ball all the same. SOS was good in parts but looked a little off the pace .

Not sure who'd Mayo would put in ahead if him though

Some people suggesting Barry Moran to me. But I think he might struggle against Fenton / McCauley. Would he have the pace to stick with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Barlett wrote: »
    Oh right, I didn't realise All Ireland medals are handed out like confetti and anyone who doesn't have one can't be a match winner :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Match winners do tend to win stuff - there's a clue in the name. Maybe you regard a League match in MacHale Park as the same level as Croke Park in August/September but not everyone does.

Some people suggesting Barry Moran to me. But I think he might struggle against Fenton / McCauley. Would he have the pace to stick with them?

Vaughan, but getting seriously short of subs if Regan and Dillon are injured.

Vaughan, but getting seriously short of subs if Regan and Dillon are injured.

Thats a good shout in fairness. Hadnt though tof him when my drunk friend was insisting to me that Mayo should be playing Moran there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Having watched him goading Sean Kavanagh and do likewise again today class in the last word I'd use about Keegan. Was a fine footballer when the recent Mayo team first emerged and he used to play a lot of ball in each game but it is some fall from grace to be reduced to targeting key opposition players to try to get them sent off.

Complete ****e! Every good man maker in this country plays on the edge; Neil McGee, Philly Mc Mahon....The list goes on!

Keegan takes the target man on almost every occasion and does what he has to do to get the job done! Philly does it and he's a loveable rough, Keegan does it and he's a thug!

Change the record, it's broken!

One more thing; Cooper held Moran for the ENTIRE game off the ball! He constantly held him and tried to continuously drag him and on a few occasions, succeeded in doing so! And like Philly (who I actually have a lot of time for, but for this process I have to go against), I'm told, is well fit to do a bit of trash talking also!

Well I raised it with the Mayo lads , Barry Moran wouldn't have the pace was the opinion. I'd agree with that. SOS starts the next game I think

Well I raised it with the Mayo lads , Barry Moran wouldn't have the pace was the opinion. I'd agree with that. SOS starts the next game I think

I dont know. He was extremely poor today. And he was poor the last day too. For me, it just sends out the wrong message if you are consistently selecting a player in poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Match winners do tend to win stuff - there's a clue in the name. Maybe you regard a League match in MacHale Park as the same level as Croke Park in August/September but not everyone does.

Oh right, does that mean the five Connuaght medals, two club championship medals and two Young Footballer of the Year awards he won were all a dream?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I dont know. He was extremely poor today. And he was poor the last day too. For me, it just sends out the wrong message if you are consistently selecting a player in poor form.

True, but sometimes you have to play the hand you are dealt, Vaughan had a good game at midfield this year alright , followed by a poor one I think?
    He's a half forward in my book though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

80s Child wrote: »

Complete ****e!

[/QUOTE

You said it. Funny how you are so devoid of positive stuff to say about Keegan that you have to reference about six or seven other players/incidents rather than talk about any positive contribution he made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Complete ****e!

[/QUOTE

You said it. Funny how you are so devoid of positive stuff to say about Keegan that you have to reference about six or seven other players/incidents rather than talk about any positive contribution he made.

He kept Diarmuid Connolly quiet, we'll take that

Barlett wrote: »

He kept Diarmuid Connolly quiet, we'll take that

Looking back at the game, I am not sure Connolly was all that quiet though. He got on more ball than most of the Dublin forwards, he tracked back constantly (getting in 2 very clean dispossessions), set up the 2nd goal with a beautiful ball. I also remember him delivering a great ball into Brogan - cant remember if anything came off that 1 but it was a serious pass. And he scored a good point too (although cant blame Keegan for that 1).

My take on the Keegan / Connolly duel was that Connolly came out slightly on top today. Keegan really didnt have much influence on Mayo's attacking game today.

Complete ****e!

[/QUOTE

Ah....you don't like replying to a structured argument, that has used relevant examples.

Got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Having watched him goading Sean Kavanagh and do likewise again today class in the last word I'd use about Keegan. Was a fine footballer when the recent Mayo team first emerged and he used to play a lot of ball in each game but it is some fall from grace to be reduced to targeting key opposition players to try to get them sent off.

Strange when it is someone else rather than a Dub dishing it out that they get a hammering. My point is that Keegan does a job for the team, Connolly was thinking of himself. Keegan could be going up the pitch getting points (which he does when given the freedom) but he was selfless for his team today. He does what his manager requires of him. If he was trying to get him sent off, as you suggest, he should have let go of his jersey and started rolling around on the ground holding his head after Connolly slapped his face, threw him to the ground and punched him on the head a few times ! Part of his class is that he did not do that.
    But he was not letting go of the jersey because Connolly was not letting go either. It was actually funny that Connolly tried to rip Lee's jersey in two with both his hands, but either the material is better or he is just not strong enough ! If Lee Keegan was wearing Blue, you would be singing his praises. Dublin will probably go on and win, they have been the best team in Ireland for years, they still are, but Mayo are a great team and Lee Keegan is a brilliant footballer and a class act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Keegan takes the target man on almost every occasion and does what he has to do to get the job done! Philly does it and he's a loveable rough, Keegan does it and he's a thug!

McGee's a dirty, dirty player in my book

Philly isn't doing what Keegans doing at all. Keegan isn't a thug at all but if there was a TMO in football he wouldn't have lasted a half with all the off the ball fouling he's at this year.

He'll keep at it until refs put and end to it I imagine.

Bambi wrote: »

Philly isn't doing what Keegans doing at all. Keegan isn't a thug at all but if there was a TMO in football he wouldn't have lasted a half with all the off the ball fouling he's at this year.

He'll keep at it until refs put and end to it I imagine

This is key. He has gotten away with it so much that he keeps doing it! On the Sunday Game panel tonight, they suggested the ref should've given 2 yellows to Keegan & Connolly for the incident in the lead up to the first goal. Dont ask me why they thought Connolly should have gotten a yellow for that as he was just trying to run in towards goal away from Keegan and was dragged down twice. However, it would have put a stop to Keegan's 'tactic' immediately. I wouldnt be surprised if the ref books the 2 of them at the first opportunity the next day

He'll keep at it until refs put and end to it I imagine.

And what about Cooper?? He held Moran all day!!! You're hating the player here, when really, you've a problem the struture as a whole. Does Keegan push the boundaries? Of course, but good players tend to!

If things changed, and there was a zero tolerance with holding, impeding etc, it would really change the game and probably for the better! But, there isn't and this is a man who has been on the losing team too often! He'll do whatever it takes to get across the line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

When will club championship be played?

djPSB wrote: »
    When will club championship be played?

Be great craic if they say they go ahead next weekend as planned!

• Advertisement

This is key. He has gotten away with it so much that he keeps doing it! On the Sunday Game panel tonight, they suggested the ref should've given 2 yellows to Keegan & Connolly for the incident in the lead up to the first goal.

You could have given two yellows alright.... to Keegan

For two pull downs or two blacks for each one..or a red for the hip throw. That Cork gob****e was strangely reticent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Strange when it is someone else rather than a Dub dishing it out that they get a hammering. My point is that Keegan does a job for the team, Connolly was thinking of himself. Keegan could be going up the pitch getting points (which he does when given the freedom) but he was selfless for his team today. He does what his manager requires of him. If he was trying to get him sent off, as you suggest, he should have let go of his jersey and started rolling around on the ground holding his head after Connolly slapped his face, threw him to the ground and punched him on the head a few times ! Part of his class is that he did not do that.
    But he was not letting go of the jersey because Connolly was not letting go either. It was actually funny that Connolly tried to rip Lee's jersey in two with both his hands, but either the material is better or he is just not strong enough ! If Lee Keegan was wearing Blue, you would be singing his praises. Dublin will probably go on and win, they have been the best team in Ireland for years, they still are, but Mayo are a great team and Lee Keegan is a brilliant footballer and a class act.

Thats just sad. My player is stronger than your player.

Cannot believe people think Keegan had a good game. Connolly contributed a lot in general play. Keegan did nothing to slow him up, dispossess him or hinder him in any way. Plus, he did nothing on the ball himself. Sure the first possession Connolly had him on his arse as he ghosted passed him.

Agreed that they were both at it though in the game. A few minutes after their coming together Connolly pulled Keegan to the ground as he was running forward. Clear black on a yellow would have had him off. He's not learning Connolly.

corny wrote: »
    Thats just sad. My player is stronger than your player.

Cannot believe people think Keegan had a good game. Connolly contributed a lot in general play. Keegan did nothing to slow him up, dispossess him or hinder him in any way. Plus, he did nothing on the ball himself. Sure the first possession Connolly had him on his arse as he ghosted passed him.

Agreed that they were both at it though in the game. A few minutes after their coming together Connolly pulled Keegan to the ground as he was running forward. Clear black on a yellow would have had him off. He's not learning Connolly.

If you're a betting man, the bet on Connolly was to score more than 3.5 points. To the best of my knowledge, he scored one, and that was from a misplaced kickout by Clarke. Connolly, in my opinion, is one of the top 3 players in the country at the minute! Yes, he got on a bit of ball, but on none of those occasions was he causing any real damage.

Keegan let him have the ball (I'm using let here as there's no way you can keep him off the ball for the entirety of the game) in areas where he would cause the least damage. Instead of pushing up on Connolly all of the time and stepping out of the defensive system, he kept his discipline and stuck to the game plan. That's the mark of a player who is working for the team! Sure, he would have loved to have welded Connolly at every possible juncture, but in doing so he would have left himself exposed and he would have exposed the rest of the rear guard or by leaving a gaping hole while trying to make the tackle ! If you mistime a tackle on Connolly you're in bother! Keegan stood and shadowed and insured, in my humble opinion, that he wasn't a main scoring threat or the main instigator in Dublin's offensive movements.

For that alone, he deserves huge credit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Keegan had connolly in his pocket all game and it was easy to see how frustrated connolly got. With 30 seconds or so to go connolly had a sideline ball, all he had to do was play it simple and keep the ball to ensure dublin won. But a mixture of frustration and ego saw him try for a point, his miss allowed mayo get the equaliser.

Keegan had connolly in his pocket all game and it was easy to see how frustrated connolly got. With 30 seconds or so to go connolly had a sideline ball, all he had to do was play it simple and keep the ball to ensure dublin won. But a mixture of frustration and ego saw him try for a point, his miss allowed mayo get the equaliser.

In all fairness there's a couple if posts now about how it's Keegan's fault that Connelly decided to go for the point.

That's a stretch imo. Unfortunately that's part of Connellys game he's been at it all season and it's been flagged numerous times in the Dublin thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

You could have given two yellows alright.... to Keegan

For two pull downs or two blacks for each one..or a red for the hip throw. That Cork gob****e was strangely reticent.

mDMA should have had the only straight red in the game . And some how Dublin seem to think the ref had a bad game .

mDMA should have had the only straight red in the game . And some how Dublin seem to think the ref had a bad game .

For pulling out of a players neck? he should have got a red for that

Just like Keegan should have.

Lane did Mayo a lot of favours. The throw in for the second half was a particularly funny example

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

For pulling out of a players neck? he should have got a red for that

Just like Keegan should have.

Lane did Mayo a lot of favours. The throw in for the second half was a particularly funny example

How should Keegan have got red?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

In all fairness there's a couple if posts now about how it's Keegan's fault that Connelly decided to go for the point.

That's a stretch imo. Unfortunately that's part of Connellys game he's been at it all season and it's been flagged numerous times in the Dublin thread.

To be fair he does go for some high percentage shot's. But from a neutrals perspective, Keegan definitely got to him mentally and physically. Most of it was completely illegal of course. Nasty to look at if I'm honest. But he was looking as tired as I've ever seen him by the end of it. Keegan played him like a fiddle the more I think about it. To reduce the most talented footballer in the country to 1 opportunist point from play and frustrated him into that silly attempt at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Lads, what's the story with ticket allocation for the replay?

Will there be any of general sale at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Kauto wrote: »

For daring to touch "The best player in Ireland"
    He should have been more respectful like the Kerry defenders and given him all the space he needs to play effectively ;)

You don't speak for Dublin homewardbound neither do I.

There's are some counter arguments about the refs performance, I've already stated that McCarthys black was a black card. Some think the ref had a bad game most if the talk is about Connelly going fur glory

Many Dubs including me have said we didn't deserve anything yesterday

If you want to see moaning about referees check out the Kerry thread over the past 6 years, that largely lives there and can stay where it is

Or the latest post in the Dublin thread calling all Dublin people heroin addicts and the players tramps. Is that your opinion now too? Does he represent a county/you?

Sorry for derailing the Mayo thread I'll pop out now but that agenda can take a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Dublin literally put in the worst possible performance they could come up with, they don't score for 30 odd minutes, Bernard Brogan goes scoreless for the entire game and Mayo still can't get it done...It's quite shocking really.

Brogan has been brutal all year so dont expect that to change in the replay.

Mayo were quite poor themselves for periods yesterday. People saying Dublin wont be as bad the next, probably not but they wont be much better either.
    Most over rated team in GAA history. A good team with 4/5 top players, the rest are ordinary enough.

Kauto wrote: »

Same way MDMA should have, tackle around the neck.

Paddy power refunding all bets on yday match btw
    Just seen it there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

km79 wrote:
    Paddy power refunding all bets on yday match btw Just seen it there

Good stuff. Was on the draw myself so ticket already well covered for Saturday week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

km79 wrote:
    Paddy power refunding all bets on yday match btw Just seen it there

All markets?

All markets?

I will look into it more later but it said all bets on yday match
    I had 30 on mayo in 70 minutes at 10/3 so be nice to get that back
    Also had a tenner on the draw with Boyle sports
    An impulse decision ydays morning as there was a shop across from hotel in Maynooth :)
    http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/paddy-power-refunds-over-600000-11904112

Refunded as a free bet on the final
    That's fine with me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

When will they announce the ref for the next day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

When will they announce the ref for the next day?

Either Deegen or Dublin Joe I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 29 carraigard

Any idea where one can get tickets for the replay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I've no idea what he's like as a human but I find O'Connor to be revolting as a player. Only downside I'd see to Mayo finally winning an All Ireland is him getting a reward for his miserable behaviour
    I met him once briefly and can see why people think he is like this. He has very few admirers outside his parish. He doesnt need to be like this is the sad thing.
    PressRun wrote: »
    Go and cry about it. Could day the same for a couple of Dublin players, but don't go onto yer thread to whinge about it.

Give us a few examples. I dont see Dublin players trying to get lads sent off. I would not approve of it. It is a disgusting side to the game.

LeoB wrote: »
    I met him once briefly and can see why people think he is like this. He has very few admirers outside his parish. He doesnt need to be like this is the sad thing.

Give us a few examples. I dont see Dublin players trying to get lads sent off. I would not approve of it. It is a disgusting side to the game.

Was it Philly McMahon who pretended to be head butted by o Shea last year ? Or cooper ? Can't remember but it was one of the 2 .........
    Ah here we are
    http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/adrumm/philly-mcmahon-denies-headbutting-aidan-oshea-and-diving-against-mayo/
    I'm sorry u was mixed up.he attempted to headbutt o Shea and seperatley then himself feigned injury to try and get o Shea sent off.
    Wouldn't catch a Dublin player doing that you say ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

km79 wrote: »
    For daring to touch "The best player in Ireland"
    He should have been more respectful like the Kerry defenders and given him all the space he needs to play effectively ;)

Yup this Dublin team are the greatest of all time. At playing football versus Laois or Westmeath in a vacuum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

If you're a betting man, the bet on Connolly was to score more than 3.5 points. To the best of my knowledge, he scored one, and that was from a misplaced kickout by Clarke. Connolly, in my opinion, is one of the top 3 players in the country at the minute! Yes, he got on a bit of ball, but on none of those occasions was he causing any real damage.

Keegan let him have the ball (I'm using let here as there's no way you can keep him off the ball for the entirety of the game) in areas where he would cause the least damage. Instead of pushing up on Connolly all of the time and stepping out of the defensive system, he kept his discipline and stuck to the game plan. That's the mark of a player who is working for the team! Sure, he would have loved to have welded Connolly at every possible juncture, but in doing so he would have left himself exposed and he would have exposed the rest of the rear guard or by leaving a gaping hole while trying to make the tackle ! If you mistime a tackle on Connolly you're in bother! Keegan stood and shadowed and insured, in my humble opinion, that he wasn't a main scoring threat or the main instigator in Dublin's offensive movements.

For that alone, he deserves huge credit!

Look space was at a premium. Connolly beats Keegan others converge on him in a flash. Happened frequently to Connolly and the rest. Example, right after Connolly left him on his arse he caught Keegan in possession close to goal. Seamus O'Shea was on him before he could do anything with it.

BTW the stuff you're giving Keegan credit for above is a joke. All intangible gibberish. Nothing concrete. Mayo defended very well as a unit. That's what made life tough for the Dublin forwards. Individually Keegan exerted little influence over Connolly. Watch it with a critical eye and you might agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Either Deegen or Dublin Joe I heard

Hope it's not Joe. McCarthy's black card was the result of McQuillan calling it to the ref's attention. He seems to be on a mission to dispel the notion that he favours the Dubs - we don't need that kind of agenda in a ref.

Jaden wrote: »
    Hope it's not Joe. McCarthy's black card was the result of McQuillan calling it to the ref's attention. He seems to be on a mission to dispel the notion that he favours the Dubs - we don't need that kind of agenda in a ref.

McQuillan shouldnt get it based on that decision. Regardless of whether it was the right or wrong decision, it would be 'baggage' that he carries into the next day. Imagine if McCarthy is involved in something dubious the next day and McQuillan black cards him or sends him off, there will be total uproar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

McQuillan shouldnt get it based on that decision. Regardless of whether it was the right or wrong decision, it would be 'baggage' that he carries into the next day. Imagine if McCarthy is involved in something dubious the next day and McQuillan black cards him or sends him off, there will be total uproar.

There was no one worrying about uproar when the linesman that called on Keegan in the 2014 semi final reffed the replay in Limerick and completely screwed Mayo. We were told to put up and shup up then if i remember correctly. McCarthy should have been black carded yesterday, if McQuillan called it then it should be a feather in his cap rather than a black mark. Is home advantage not enough for ye that ye have to pick the ref too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

McQuillan is far too controversial. Definitely shouldn't be him. I wouldn't mind the same ref again, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Jaden wrote: »

Your right.
    Or he doesn't punish him and lad's would be saying he's afraid to or trying to make up for the last day.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement