Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is Conor O Shea injured lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭naughto

Is Conor O Shea injured lads?

Don't think certain games don't suit him like yesterday.

Any update on dillion or regan

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

LeoB wrote: »
    I met him once briefly and can see why people think he is like this. He has very few admirers outside his parish. He doesnt need to be like this is the sad thing.

Give us a few examples. I dont see Dublin players trying to get lads sent off. I would not approve of it. It is a disgusting side to the game.

McMahon and Cooper are always gesturing to the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

To the dubs complaining about O'Connor and Keegan, I am usually very against unfavorable play and what not, however at this stage I couldn't give two sh*tes as long as it brings home Sam!

Mayo, go out and do whatever it takes, I'll stand behind ye regardless ! Just get the job done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Would ye still take Dean Rock over O'Connor ☺

Not a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Deano just doesn't miss (from 20 yards, in front of goals, on a dry calm day, against Laois).

Same again the next day, give him plenty of frees from 40m's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Reduction in price of tickets for the replay.:)

Stands 60 euro

Hill 16 30 euro

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Lads, what's the story with ticket allocation for the replay?

Will there be any of general sale at all?

No tickets will go on general sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Thought Jason Doc was superb yesterday. One of his best in a Mayo jersey.

SeanJ09 wrote: »

Just watched it back there again and I have to agree. Given the occasion, by far his best performance. That diagonal ball to Andy in the first half was exactly what we need. He followed it up with a wonderful point.

Yup, Jason really showed up yesterday and I actually think he's been having a good year all round. I think he'll hold his place for the next day.

We're fooling ourselves if we put the 2 goals down to flukes. On another day, the Dubs would have slotted away two of their goal chances. The second was a superb ball in by Connolly but Boyle and McLoughlin were caught out.

They could have had one just moments earlier but from an excellent save from Clarke. Unfortunately that all came from McLoughlin giving away a poor handpass up the field. He's not great when he has too much time to think about handpasses when the play is slowed down. He did the same against Tyrone a fair bit.

Hope it's spilling rain the next day..:D:pac:

PARlance wrote: »
    We're fooling ourselves if we put the 2 goals down to flukes. On another day, the Dubs would have slotted away two of their goal chances. The second was a superb ball in by Connolly but Boyle and McLoughlin were caught out.

The first goal was a bit messy, but the second goal was poor defending. Colm Boyle let his man get away from him.

PARlance wrote: »

Totally agree..this line of own goals/calamitous goals.There were goal opportunities there for Dublin in the first half..it was intense pressure that resulted in those two goals.Dublin running at pace,good support play and poor Mayo defending.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Totally agree..this line of own goals/calamitous goals.There were goal opportunities there for Dublin in the first half..it was intense pressure that resulted in those two goals.

We've been fooling ourselves by this semi sweeper system all year. We've been giving away chances all year really. Bar Andy's chance that he pointed, we didn't have another real goal chance... That's a worry on the other end too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

corny wrote: »
    Look space was at a premium. Connolly beats Keegan others converge on him in a flash. Happened frequently to Connolly and the rest. Example, right after Connolly left him on his arse he caught Keegan in possession close to goal. Seamus O'Shea was on him before he could do anything with it.

BTW the stuff you're giving Keegan credit for above is a joke. All intangible gibberish. Nothing concrete. Mayo defended very well as a unit. That's what made life tough for the Dublin forwards. Individually Keegan exerted little influence over Connolly. Watch it with a critical eye and you might agree.

So you're saying that the Mayo defensive system, which Keegan is an integral member of, is the reason that Connolly didn't perform to his usual heights??

May I ask, do you think any other Mayo player would have been as effective on Connolly?

• Advertisement

Dillion sapose to have broke his ankle

Terrible news, tbh. I also really think there's something going on with Diarmuid. He's out of sorts completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

naughto wrote: »
    Dillion sapose to have broke his ankle

I seen that somewhere but just don't know how he could run and kick a point on a broken ankle
    The incident happened a few minutes before that
    Badly sprained maybe
    Broke ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

PressRun wrote: »
    Terrible news, tbh. I also really think there's something going on with Diarmuid. He's out of sorts completely.

Have just watched the game back and whilst there's no denying hes off form, DOC put in some trojan work all the same, tracking back constantly, few important turnovers and wonderful block on Kilkenny.

There was a good 20 mins in each half but especially 2nd half where Mayo gave showed some of the most intense, gritty and tactical astute defending I've ever seen a Mayo team put in. Its obvious that's where alot of the focus was put in over the last few weeks. Now hopefully the forward (although great individual contributions) can devise a better plan in the next fortnight. The attitude is there now. Huge two weeks ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

The first goal was a bit messy, but the second goal was poor defending. Colm Boyle let his man get away from him.

Colm Boyle awful excitable player, always getting in to trouble! Should have been taken off well before he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

SeanJ09 wrote: »

He keeps his 40 yarders for the Dubs alright:cool: By the looks of it Durcan loves playing the Jacks too. Mighty he was yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I said last week that this had a whiff of “The Emperor’s New Clothes” about it.

Now the Emperor may not be totally naked but he certainly isn’t wearing a gold outfit, with encrusted diamonds and f**kin bells on that’s for sure.

Firstly all the credit in the world has to goes to these players, we are so lucky be living in an era where Mayo teams have just gone to the wire year after year, they deserve the height of respect from us.
    For someone becoming aware of football in the late 70s and 80s this is a golden age, 6 semis in a row, 2 semi replays, 3 finals in 5 years, one final replay.

There were great performances all over the place yesterday.

I have not re-watched the Sunday Game Live so I don’t know what Brolly had to say but he has questioned their character more than once, you could not question their character yesterday.

Admittedly the two O’ Shea’s were not at their best
    If I recall Seamus had a problem with giving away possession in the second half of the replay v Dublin last year, prior to getting the black card.
    Maybe he is not up to the full intensity of the game and his play suffers at a certain point, maybe it’s time for what john Maughan referred to as “the curly finger” a little earlier in the game.
    But then again it’s not as if we are packed with midfielders right now.

When they came out straight after Dublin I know they were up for it, it was only when I re-watched the start of the Sunday Game at home they I found out that Dublin were 5 mins late
    What was their problem ?

More than one person said since the game at “may blew it, should have pushed on”
    That’s BS if you ask me

They were 5 down at half time to possibly the craziest set of circumstances you will ever see in in Croke Park, they were 3 down in injury time, at least one of which was due to a mistake on the kick out, yet they came back and they came back again.

They never had an opportunity to “push on”

Kerry were up 5 at half time, and 3 up with 10 or less to go, and they lost by 2.

As for the replay well the common analysis is that Dublin will not be as poor again, but neither will Mayo (hopefully) concede two freak goals.

But what made Dublin poor, are they wrecked ?, have they lost the hunger, did Mayo just put it up to them so much that they had no idea what to do, too many games against Leinster team and washed up Kerry men ?

As I said before this Dublin team look far closer to the 2012 version than any other version since, and yesterday only made that more clear to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Conor Mortimer and his shleeepy head on TV3 news:D:D:D

Badly bruised ankle not broken should be right for sat week dillion

Any news on Evan Regan's injury?

seligehgit wrote: »
    Any news on Evan Regan's injury?
    Nothing on regan yet anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

km79 wrote: »
    Was it Philly McMahon who pretended to be head butted by o Shea last year ? Or cooper ? Can't remember but it was one of the 2 .........
    Ah here we are
    http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/adrumm/philly-mcmahon-denies-headbutting-aidan-oshea-and-diving-against-mayo/
    I'm sorry u was mixed up.he attempted to headbutt o Shea and seperatley then himself feigned injury to try and get o Shea sent off.
    Wouldn't catch a Dublin player doing that you say ?

I will watch that later. There is no room in the GAA for this type of crap from ANY player or ANY county
    Peist2007 wrote: »
    There was no one worrying about uproar when the linesman that called on Keegan in the 2014 semi final reffed the replay in Limerick and completely screwed Mayo. We were told to put up and shup up then if i remember correctly. McCarthy should have been black carded yesterday, if McQuillan called it then it should be a feather in his cap rather than a black mark. Is home advantage not enough for ye that ye have to pick the ref too?

If it were home advantage it would be in Parnell park. There was a lot said of the referee back in 2014 and if I were from Mayo I would have been furious. But if we want to go back and dig up sh1t we can go back to Hoppy Howard, Paddy Russell, Paddy Collins and the eejet from Galway. Its gone so we let it go and you could do with letting 2014 go as well.
    McQuillan is far too controversial. Definitely shouldn't be him. I wouldn't mind the same ref again, tbh.
    Id be inclined to agree. Lane made a mistake with with McCarthy yesterday and got decisions wrong for both teams. Joe McQuillan is a disaster waiting to happen. Deegan is decent referee and seems to get on well with players.
    Kauto wrote: »
    McMahon and Cooper are always gesturing to the ref.
    Cooper more than McMahon got a bad name for himself in his early days but I would say is far more sinned against these days. He has turned into a class defender McMahon has also been hard done by and it is not his fault he was the way things worked out last year that is the system we have in the G.A.A and I dont agree with any of these appeals to the cccc unless there is a howler of an error from a referee where the wrong player is sent off. As I stated before I have no time for players trying to get another sent off, but he was with the masters yesterday.

More importantly I hope Evan Reagan is ok. That looked a right nasty belt he got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

, too many games against Leinster team and washed up Kerry men ?

You put up a excellent post and then ruin it with tripe like that. But having seen your form when it comes to posting about kerry Im not so surprised. You seem bitter towards us in some way.

We're all supporting Mayo down here and not because it's poor old mayo. It's because they deserve it, top notch players and a great attitude. and they want it more,that is what will separate them from Dublin the next day.

So cop on a little bit and don't be turning people off your county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

LeoB wrote:
    Cooper more than McMahon got a bad name for himself in his early days but I would say is far more sinned against these days. He has turned into a class defender.
    Cooper has been keeping his mouth shut all season and is a better player for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

Is Colm Boyle suspended for the replay due to number of yellow cards?

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    You put up a excellent post and then ruin it with tripe like that. But having seen your form when it comes to posting about kerry Im not so surprised. You seem bitter towards us in some way.

We're all supporting Mayo down here and not because it's poor old mayo. It's because they deserve it, top notch players and a great attitude. and they want it more,that is what will separate them from Dublin the next day.

In the last few years Kerry have faded in the closing stages v Dublin because their bench has always been inferior.
    The likes of Marc O Shea, Paul Galvin etc are past their best, yet these are the guys Kerry have been springing from the bench v Dublin.

Kerry are washed up, but they have plenty coming through the ranks in years to come, so don't take it too personally.

And I know a lot of Kerry folk are shouting for Mayo, I live in Kerry
    But I notice it has as much to do with Kerry folk not wanting Dublin to do two in a row and take that from Kerry '06, '07, than it has anything to do with respect for Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Just read a stat that in the last 5 matches against Mayo, Connolly only scored 5 points.

He must REALLY hate Keegan!

In the last few years Kerry have faded in the closing stages v Dublin because their bench has always been inferior.
    The likes of Marc O Shea, Paul Galvin etc are past their best, yet these are the guys Kerry have been springing from the bench v Dublin.

Kerry are washed up, but they have plenty coming through the ranks in years to come, so don't take it too personally.

And I know a lot of Kerry folk are shouting for Mayo, I live in Kerry
    But I notice it has as much to do with Kerry folk not wanting Dublin to do two in a row and take that from Kerry '06, '07, than it has anything to do with respect for Mayo.

Ah your being childish now. Im not going to be drawn into a tit4tat argument with you about players. I still think it's a juvenile remark and something I wouldn't expect to hear out of the mouth of manys the great mayo football men and women I've met at matches over the years.

I'm genuinely rooting for mayo with no hidden agenda but if they should lose then my pain will be eased knowing that there is one sour mayo man in kerry hurting more than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ah your being childish now. Im not going to be drawn into a tit4tat argument with you about players. I still think it's a juvenile remark and something I wouldn't expect to hear out of the mouth of manys the great mayo football men and women I've met at matches over the years.

Ah sure that Kerry side were obviously at the very peak of their powers when they beat Mayo yet again in 2014 and then suddenly eligible for their bus passes the next January. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

TITANIUM. wrote:
    I'm genuinely rooting for mayo with no hidden agenda but if they should lose then my pain will be eased knowing that there is one sour mayo man in kerry hurting more than me.

IMO he's right though Titanium it's harsh but true. It's all a cycle anyway.

Anyway don't worry Tods the dirty Harry of Boards GAA, he just hates everyone bar Mayo equally, except Roscommon they hold a special place in his heart.

Bambi wrote: »

Ah sure that Kerry side were obviously at the very peak of their powers when they beat Mayo yet again in 2014 and then suddenly eligible for their bus passes the next January. :D

The last few years I've thought of mayo dublin and kerry like a game of rock paper scissors, mayo were made to handle dublin (better than us anyway). Dublin were able to handle us and we were able to handle mayo. So we needed mayo to handle the jacks for us and then we'd take them. So with Dublin taking us out this year I think the men from the west will push on and this time finish the job.

• Advertisement

There is no need to be so precious.

They were great players but time is running out for many of them.
    Gooch has not been the same since his injury, Donaghey and Darran no longer have 70 mins in them, Marc o Se and O Mahoney are likely to go this winter.

And I won't be bitter if Mayo lose, I thought it was lost more than once yesterday, I'll just look forward to next year.

Stoner wrote: »
    TITANIUM. wrote:

IMO he's right though Titanium it's harsh but true. It's all a cycle anyway.

Anyway don't worry Tods the dirty Harry of Boards GAA, he just hates everyone bar Mayo equally, except Roscommon they hold a special place in his heart.

Well if your right then it doesn't speck to highly of Dublins "Great team" credentials if a bunch of washed up Oxygenarians can run um to within 10 points.

I agree some of our senior players are past there best but calling them washed up is abit of a stretch.

Anyway enough talk about kerry this is the mayo thread.
    I think the O'S brothers should start. It'd be nice to see a couple of Kerrymen lift Sam this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Firstly all the credit in the world has to goes to these players, we are so lucky be living in an era where Mayo teams have just gone to the wire year after year, they deserve the height of respect from us.
    For someone becoming aware of football in the late 70s and 80s this is a golden age, 6 semis in a row, 2 semi replays, 3 finals in 5 years, one final replay.

On the flip side of this, I've a 14 year old nephew who knows nothing else apart from big days out at All Ireland Finals and Semi-finals, that can only be a good thing for future generations.

Tyrone were going to beat us and galway and were the ONLY team with a Chance of stopping Dublin apparently
    Mayo put in monster our defensive performance limiting then to 12 scores and a rake of wides due to pressurized kicks and shots from way out and suddenly we are told Tyrone were bit very good anyway and we were "lucky" they had so many wides
    Tipp shooting the lights out and embarrassing Galway. We are told their twin threats inside will rip out fill back line apart. Rochford slots Barry Moran in FB. No Goals and just 14 scores conceded. Tipp go back to being "just a div 3 team ". Mayo were "lucky" to have drawn them in the semis.
    And the final. The Dublin juggernaut is brought to a shuddering halt . Just 11 scores conceded and 2 of them own goals !
    And what's the rhetoric after the game ? Dublin just played very badly and won't do so again .........
    Let's see about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

km79 wrote: »
    Tyrone were going to beat us and galway and were the ONLY team with a Chance of stopping Dublin apparently
    Mayo put in monster our defensive performance limiting then to 12 scores and a rake of wides due to pressurized kicks and shots from way out and suddenly we are told Tyrone were bit very good anyway and we were "lucky" they had so many wides
    Tipp shooting the lights out and embarrassing Galway. We are told their twin threats inside will rip out fill back line apart. Rochford slots Barry Moran in FB. No Goals and just 14 scores conceded. Tipp go back to being "just a div 3 team ". Mayo were "lucky" to have drawn them in the semis.
    And the final. The Dublin juggernaut is brought to a shuddering halt . Just 11 scores conceded and 2 of them own goals !
    And what's the rhetoric after the game ? Dublin just played very badly and won't do so again .........
    Let's see about that

Everyone can see that was one of the worse Dublin performance this season, thats not me taking anything from Mayo, its just the way it is, and yes we will see about that in two weeks.

Just read a stat that in the last 5 matches against Mayo, Connolly only scored 5 points.

He must REALLY hate Keegan!

5 to many if you ask me

Everyone can see that was one of the worse Dublin performance this season, thats not me taking anything from Mayo, its just the way it is, and yes we will see about that in two weeks.

But very few are asking WHY? Or putting forward mayos performance and tactics as a possible reason for it
    It's just a case of the Dubs not performing and will perform the next day no matter what. Against the same defence .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

naughto wrote: »
    Nothing on regan yet anyway

Who did he collide with again? He was holding his head too, but kept going may be unwisely..

I thought Regan was out cold initially...

Call me Al wrote: »
    Who did he collide with again? He was holding his head too, but kept going may be unwisely..

I thought Regan was out cold initially...

Be amazed if he is not concussed anyway
    Some clash
    It was bastick I think

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement