Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

km79 wrote:
    But very few are asking WHY? Or putting forward mayos performance and tactics as a possible reason for it It's just a case of the Dubs not performing and will perform the next day no matter what. Against the same defence .....

What's the point though. All you've been doing is taking every negative said about Mayo and putting it forward as everyone elses opinion.

Loads of people said Mayo would beat Tyrone, me included .
    Loads of people said a Mayo Dublin game would be close and it was.

There's not much to analyse do you want people to fall over at how good Mayo were. How keegan scores than his men etc. I don't care if he has Connelly in his pocket he's your best player and im sick reading about players like Connelly and Gooch being so good. They aren't both have lads out there that can handle them.

I thought it was a crap game yesterday with very little skill shown on the ball. Nobody could hold onto the ball.

I've said that i thought Andy Moran was very good and he was, Mayo put it up to Dublin fair play go them but they scored the own goals because it was a poxy day for football.

I was happy we get to go again

But nobody won. It's still undecided. I never watched the drawn game against Mayo again last year or the defeat to Donegal in 2014. I'm not going to watch that game either. I found it depressing and it wasn't because I thought Mayo were fantastic they weren't if they were fantastic they'd be the champions now. It was a close game of poor football imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

45% of Dub's pt attempts came under strong pressure. Dublin only applied same pressure to 11% of Mayo's shots https://t.co/uIa6uMdxI2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

km79 wrote: »
    Be amazed if he is not concussed anyway
    Some clash
    It was bastick I think

Fairly sure it was Bastick, there were a few calls of picking it off the ground from him just prior to the clash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

LeakRate wrote: »
    Is Colm Boyle suspended for the replay due to number of yellow cards?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Stoner is right, of the last four games in championship between Mayo against Dublin, there has been only one half of top quality football witnessed. That was the 1st half of the replay last year where both teams showed their capabilities. All games haven't lacked for excitement though.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    Fairly sure it was Bastick, there were a few calls of picking it off the ground from him just prior to the clash.

It was Daly and it looked like he almost certainly lifted off the ground. The linesman came in to chat after the incident. It would have been a massive call to give the free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Heroic and as determined a performance as I've ever seen from Mayo. Blood clot fantastic game and cant wait for the replay.

Conditions were not awful at all, bloody pundits. Depending on what part of the country you are from there are different climactic conditions, theres more to Ireland than Dublin. We can get up to 2 meters more rain per year here than Dublin, so conditions were perfect for us :D

climate_rainfallmap.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just rewatched the full game.

Seamus O Shea had a good first half but had a terrible 4 mins between the 47th and 51st where he gave away 4 balls.

I thought the Mayo defending was savage, Dublin were so bad up front because Mayo gave them absolutely nothing, every time they had the ball a Mayo man was there to harass them.

Hopefully they can repeat it.

Oh and Colum O Rourke is an ass.
    In the first segment after the game with the panel he said that it will be like the old days again in Mayo with the hype.

At that pointed I stopped watching and deleted it.

Just rewatched the full game.

Seamus O Shea had a good first half but had a terrible 4 mins between the 47th and 51st where he gave away 4 balls.

I thought the Mayo defending was savage, Dublin were so bad up front because Mayo gave them absolutely nothing, every time they had the ball a Mayo man was there to harass them.

Hopefully they can repeat it.

In the first segment after the game with the panel he said that it will be like the old days again in Mayo with the hype.

Did Bastick pick the ball off the ground on the 2nd last kick out ?? It looked a clear pick and a potential for a free to win the All Ireland.

Did Bastick pick the ball off the ground on the 2nd last kick out ?? It looked a clear pick and a potential for a free to win the All Ireland.

It looked like it all right on first viewiybut there was no right replay.

On the close up replay the ball and his hands are out of the picture and the focus is more on the collision with Regan.

But Mayo players are indicating that it was pick.

Had the collision not occurred the ref may have spotted something, but the collision drew all the attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

J

I sorta see where O'Rourke is going with the hype thing, I mean there'll always be a few lads, like yourself, who'll lose the run of themselves but most Mayo people are of sensible stock. Scraping a draw when Sam should be in the wesht right now is not something to be cock a hoop about. Job should have been finished yesterday.

You should rewatch the game again, Mayo did a great job of chasing down Dublin forwards and runners but Dublin put a ton of uncontested shots wide as well, or refused to take shooting chances and hand passed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

Quick one for all those cheering the county board's decision to postpone the last round of club championship games - are you happy to accept as a consequence of that that Mayo will now have no representative in the Connacht club championship?

Farce of a situation.

Bambi wrote: »
    I sorta see where O'Rourke is going with the hype thing, I mean there'll always be a few lads, like yourself, who'll lose the run of themselves but most Mayo people are of sensible stock. Scraping a draw when Sam should be in the wesht right now is not something to be cock a hoop about. Job should have been finished yesterday.

You should rewatch the game again, Mayo did a great job of chasing down Dublin forwards and runners but Dublin put a ton of uncontested shots wide as well, or refused to take shooting chances and hand passed off.

Did Dublin have a ton of uncontested shots wide?

I can only think of the one from Colm Mc, I mean Ciaran Kilkenny in the first half, and of course all those frees that Dean Rock choked on. Am I forgetting any?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Blud wrote: »
    Quick one for all those cheering the county board's decision to postpone the last round of club championship games - are you happy to accept as a consequence of that that Mayo will now have no representative in the Connacht club championship?

Farce of a situation.

Castlebar as last years champions will be the rep, thats how it works.

yop wrote: »
    Castlebar as last years champions will be the rep, thats how it works.

Are you sure? I wasn't aware there was a precedent.

Point remains though, its not an acceptable position to find ourselves in really. I hope the county board get grilled by the clubs on it, there is no excuse for us to not have our county championship played off before the Connacht championship starts on 30 October.

30 October like!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Point remains though, its not an acceptable position to find ourselves in really. I hope the county board get grilled by the clubs on it, there is no excuse for us to not have our county championship played off before the Connacht championship starts on 30 October.

30 October like!

Yip. Not acceptable for sure. They need to sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

30 October like!

eh, was it not the county team and all thee "former player" who put the pressure on the County Board and it was only on appeal they wilted?

"This has not been an easy decision for all concerned as we were faced with a Catch 22 situation. Everyone involved in Mayo GAA wishes to support the senior football team as effectively as we can in the run-up to September 18 – and, equally, everyone is fully aware of the impact a postponement at such late notice will have on club players and managements.
    "However, after carefully considering the various issues involved, and acknowledging that there was no simple solution, we feel that the best interests of Mayo football will be served on this occasion by postponing the above games so that the team can prepare for the All-Ireland final.

"The primary reason for doing so is to allow the team the four weeks of preparation between now and the final so that they can represent all of us in optimum condition on September 18. We hope all Mayo GAA people will understand the well-founded motivation for our decision and rally around the team for the next few weeks.
    "It is proposed to now hold the next round of SFC games on the weekend after the All-Ireland final (Sept. 24/25th). The IFC games mentioned above will also go ahead on that weekend also.

"The quarter finals in both the SFC & IFC championship will go ahead on 1/2nd October."

The qualifiers is what screwed them over, but yes a round should have been played the week after the semi. Friday and Saturday night. But there would have been hell for leather if a COC or an AOS or a Keith Higgins picked up an injury (unlikely but nevertheless still a chance).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

30 October like!

What stage is the club championship currently at in Mayo?

What stage is the club championship currently at in Mayo?

Quarter final

km79 wrote: »
    Quarter final

No, still last round of group games to be played.

• Advertisement

eh, was it not the county team and all thee "former player" who put the pressure on the County Board and it was only on appeal they wilted?

"This has not been an easy decision for all concerned as we were faced with a Catch 22 situation. Everyone involved in Mayo GAA wishes to support the senior football team as effectively as we can in the run-up to September 18 – and, equally, everyone is fully aware of the impact a postponement at such late notice will have on club players and managements.
    "However, after carefully considering the various issues involved, and acknowledging that there was no simple solution, we feel that the best interests of Mayo football will be served on this occasion by postponing the above games so that the team can prepare for the All-Ireland final.

"The primary reason for doing so is to allow the team the four weeks of preparation between now and the final so that they can represent all of us in optimum condition on September 18. We hope all Mayo GAA people will understand the well-founded motivation for our decision and rally around the team for the next few weeks.
    "It is proposed to now hold the next round of SFC games on the weekend after the All-Ireland final (Sept. 24/25th). The IFC games mentioned above will also go ahead on that weekend also.

"The quarter finals in both the SFC & IFC championship will go ahead on 1/2nd October."

The qualifiers is what screwed them over, but yes a round should have been played the week after the semi. Friday and Saturday night. But there would have been hell for leather if a COC or an AOS or a Keith Higgins picked up an injury (unlikely but nevertheless still a chance).

The qualifiers didn't screw them over, it was their inabaility to have more games between the league finishing and the London game.

Maurice deegan the ref for the replay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Hearing rumours that Cillian has a slight injury? Was reported in one of the tabloids this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Hearing rumours that Cillian has a slight injury? Was reported in one of the tabloids this morning.

sure he'll be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Anyone else worried that we may have left it behind us Sunday. Was confident we'd ambush them last Sunday but for the replay forewarned is forearmed. That said, aos won't be as bad the next day and roch strikes me as a master tactician......plus there'll be no complacency nor fear from the lads.

Anyone else worried that we may have left it behind us Sunday. Was confident we'd ambush them last Sunday but for the replay forewarned is forearmed. That said, aos won't be as bad the next day and roch strikes me as a master tactician......plus there'll be no complacency nor fear from the lads.

Its really hard to tell.
    I think they did well to get a draw given the way the conceded the goals and the way they came back, but I hope its not like last year.

They put in a huge effort marshalling the Dublin forwards, that was a factor in them being so poor, but they will have to repeat it.

But at the same time I think Dublin are as flat as they have been in a while, perhaps the effort to win 10 of the last 11 competitions or whatever it is is taking its toll, and renumbere this is their third really tough game in a row.

Maybe playing in fits and starts, blitzing teams and then slowing down was the plan all along.

I remember negitavely comparing Mayo to the Clare hurlers a few years ago.
    How can the Clare hurlers go out and play out of their skins and get the job done in the final while our lot collectively fail to.

Well on Sunday they looked just like the Clare hurlers, hopefully it will continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

How do yee think things stand for us on the all-stars front?.Clarke,boyler,Harrison,Donnie,Lee,Andy look to be instrong positions.Another big performance from Zippy,Cillian and Aos should put them firmly in contention also.Admittedly Cillian has been far from his best for a lot of the championship but big games in finals seem to carry a lot of weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I definitely feel less optimistic about the replay, tbh. I had felt fairly positive for the match on Sunday, felt that we could ambush them, but I think any element of surprise that we had is gone now. Unless Rochford has another tactical plan up his sleeve, I don't see how Dublin won't be better prepared the next day. Mayo did a decent job of keeping their forwards quiet, but Dublin were undeniably flat and collectively seemed out of sorts. It was a strange sort of spectacle in that I do think the way Mayo played had some role in nullifying them, but they also just didn't seem right at all and it was a pretty amazing malfunction from their forward line (though Brogan and Flynn have arguably been out of sorts by their own standards all year, so nothing particularly surprising there). Whether there was complacency, they felt a bit of pressure, if it's just been a long slog for them since last year, or something else entirely, I don't know, but I would be surprised if we see them that bereft of ideas in the replay. I think there'll be several Dublin players who will feel like they have a point to prove the next day. If Gavin is ruthless, he might even drop a big name or two and shake up his forward line.

That being said, we gifted Dublin two own goals and they were a couple of points up with a few minutes left on the clock and they didn't close it out. If we'd been the ones throwing away that lead, we'd be called "bottlers". We stayed in it after some poor mistakes that could have been very demoralising. There are a lot of teams who would have just capitulated after such mistakes.

Look, we're still in it. I think we'd do well to put the day behind us and just move on to the next match. Saturday week should be treated like the first match all over again. If there's anything we have going for us, it's that this team has mental fortitude. I think they'll pick themselves up well for the next day and will be in the right place mentally. Whether things go their way on the day is another matter. A few individuals are going to need to up their game on what we saw the last day. The O'Sheas and Diarmuid O'Connor are going to need to find more, imo, and I think Cillian can do more too. I think they'll be up for it. Whether they have the tools to combat the backlash that's probably coming, I don't know, tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

PressRun wrote: »

Look

Would also be fantastic if there could be a moratorium on Mayo people using the above to start any sentence. It makes you sound like you have a point to make but don't possess the necessary vocabulary.

• Advertisement

No, still last round of group games to be played.

So that means it is actually impossible to finish the championship on time now - is that right? I am assuming this will be the schedule:

October 8th & 9th: Group games
    October 15th & 16th: Quarter Finals
    October 22nd & 23rd: Semi Finals
    October 30th: Final

Is that the way it is looking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

So that means it is actually impossible to finish the championship on time now - is that right? I am assuming this will be the schedule:

A joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I definitely feel less optimistic about the replay, tbh. I had felt fairly positive for the match on Sunday, felt that we could ambush them, but I think any element of surprise that we had is gone now. Unless Rochford has another tactical plan up his sleeve, I don't see how Dublin won't be better prepared the next day. Mayo did a decent job of keeping their forwards quiet, but Dublin were undeniably flat and collectively seemed out of sorts. It was a strange sort of spectacle in that I do think the way Mayo played had some role in nullifying them, but they also just didn't seem right at all and it was a pretty amazing malfunction from their forward line (though Brogan and Flynn have arguably been out of sorts by their own standards all year, so nothing particularly surprising there). Whether there was complacency, they felt a bit of pressure, if it's just been a long slog for them since last year, or something else entirely, I don't know, but I would be surprised if we see them that bereft of ideas in the replay. I think there'll be several Dublin players who will feel like they have a point to prove the next day. If Gavin is ruthless, he might even drop a big name or two and shake up his forward line.

That being said, we gifted Dublin two own goals and they were a couple of points up with a few minutes left on the clock and they didn't close it out. If we'd been the ones throwing away that lead, we'd be called "bottlers". We stayed in it after some poor mistakes that could have been very demoralising. There are a lot of teams who would have just capitulated after such mistakes.

Look, we're still in it. I think we'd do well to put the day behind us and just move on to the next match. Saturday week should be treated like the first match all over again. If there's anything we have going for us, it's that this team has mental fortitude. I think they'll pick themselves up well for the next day and will be in the right place mentally. Whether things go their way on the day is another matter. A few individuals are going to need to up their game on what we saw the last day. The O'Sheas and Diarmuid O'Connor are going to need to find more, imo, and I think Cillian can do more too. I think they'll be up for it. Whether they have the tools to combat the backlash that's probably coming, I don't know, tbh.
    We could do with a "Deja Vu all over again but with some adjustments...no goals for the Dubs and the O Sheas hitting form and Cillian hitting a little bit of scoring form from play "

That aught a do it.........only games take on a life on their own and thats why we'll be watching .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That being said, we gifted Dublin two own goals and they were a couple of points up with a few minutes left on the clock and they didn't close it out.

Your entire post was very good, but if you don't mind I'd like to address the quoted bit.

IMO Dublin didn't close it out because a certain Mr. Connolly decided to go for glory. Now I know that Dublin have a somewhat swashbuckling attitude, but with literally 30 odd seconds left on the clock in an AI final, all he had to do was put that sideline ball back into Dublin possession and run down the clock.

That said, I'm glad we didn't win it that way.

Yep. Not to mention that the county squad will be in no fit condition to play a week after the replay, and half the county will have been on the beer anyway.

Club players really should boycott - it's gone that far. They have to make a stand at some point, it's now or never.

And I'm only saying 'they' because I'm already out, and feeling very comfortable with the decision.

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Your entire post was very good, but if you don't mind I'd like to address the quoted bit.

IMO Dublin didn't close it out because a certain Mr. Connolly decided to go for glory. Now I know that Dublin have a somewhat swashbuckling attitude, but with literally 30 odd seconds left on the clock in an AI final, all he had to do was put that sideline ball back into Dublin possession and run down the clock.

Dublin don't have a swashbuckling attitude. They've played three big games this year and we've watched Kilkenny p!ssing about in all three games with himself and Flynn turning their backs on the ball and running to their own 45 every time the ball is turned over. Nothing swashbuckling about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Grandeeod wrote: »

Connolly did display a silly bit of individualism there and I'm sure he got an earful over it. But that miss just kind of summed up the kind of bad decision-making that had been happening all day. Aiden O'Shea did something similar on our end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Dublin don't have a swashbuckling attitude. They've played three big games this year and we've watched Kilkenny p!ssing about in all three games with himself and Flynn turning their backs on the ball and running to their own 45 every time the ball is turned over. Nothing swashbuckling about it.

I disagree and have no intention of getting drawn into it. Your definition of swashbuckiling is obviously different to mine.

Dillon the only doubt and Rochford has never even spoken to Jim McG.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/28613-dillon-is-mayo-s-big-injury-doubt

Yep. Not to mention that the county squad will be in no fit condition to play a week after the replay, and half the county will have been on the beer anyway.

Club players really should boycott - it's gone that far. They have to make a stand at some point, it's now or never.

And I'm only saying 'they' because I'm already out, and feeling very comfortable with the decision.

It really is an awful way to treat club players. :(:(

In Galway, we have similar fixture issues. We still have 2 QF's to be played and we have been out of the championship for a number of weeks! In saying that, the Mayo situation this year is the worst that I can remember regarding the delay and disregard for the club championship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

You're probably right but I suppose once they don't go playing the blanket defense like mayo or donegal it's not too bad. Everyone's playing that now and it's horrible effect on the game.

Ted111 wrote: »
    You're probably right but I suppose once they don't go playing the blanket defense like mayo or donegal it's not too bad. Everyone's playing that now and it's horrible effect on the game.

Mayo. Blanket Defence. Time for bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

PARlance wrote: »

So Martin Carney's "scoop" was a fairytale . Has the guy any credibilty left? He was on the Last Word yesterday saying that Kevin Mcloughlin was the best player on the Mayo team, (well they are both teachers from Castlebar.)

Between Carney, John Casey, David Brady and Mortimor, the only Mayo player able to represent the county in the media without acting the clown is the great Cora Staunton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

So Martin Carney's "scoop" was a fairytale . Has the guy any credibilty left? He was on the Last Word yesterday saying that Kevin Mcloughlin was the best player on the Mayo team, (well they are both teachers from Castlebar.)

Well McLoughlin is from Knock more and teaches in Rice College which is in Westport so your 'scoop' is wrong as well. If you're gonna talk nonsense at least have the facts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 winter2016

Anyone know whats the story regarding rooms for Citywest, County Board say there are not taking bookings and to contact hotel and hotel say they have no rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Well McLoughlin is from Knock more and teaches in Rice College which is in Westport so your 'scoop' is wrong as well. If you're gonna talk nonsense at least have the facts right.

and Carney isnt from Castlebar either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

winter2016 wrote:
    Anyone know whats the story regarding rooms for Citywest, County Board say there are not taking bookings and to contact hotel and hotel say they have no rooms.

Think the gig is in the Regency this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Think the gig is in the Regency this time

It's not! It's in Citywest on the Saturday evening unless Mayo GAA have changed the venue since their official announcement yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Avns1s wrote: »
    It's not! It's in Citywest on the Saturday evening unless Mayo GAA have changed the venue since their official announcement yesterday.

I would imagine that was a spoof post. The regency was all over the news this year for murder of criminal involved in the Kinahan/Hutch war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I would imagine that was a spoof post. The regency was all over the news this year for murder of criminal involved in the Kinahan/Hutch war.

I thought that too but in case anyone was misled into booking accommodation, I thought it better to clarify.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement